BF3 on The 360 is 'Standard Def' Without HDD Install

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not pointing any fingers but at least some developers have remembered that the games with lower resolution graphics (that require additional texture packs) belong on the console...not the PC. ;)

"The thing with the 360 is that you need to be able to give consumers a game where you don't have to install it on a hard drive, because there are 360s without a hard drive. So we need to give you the option of installing it, rather than just demanding it. You could call it a 'standard-def' version for the 360 if you don't have a hard-drive."

Well a DVD can only hold 4gb (8gb on a DS/DL) and high def usually means 20+ GB, so it's no surprise.

For movies anyways - dunno about games.

PC gamers have to upgrade their hardware, multiple parts in some cases.
Console gamers only need an HDD, so they should see this as a positive.

Hopefully more devs see the success of BF3 and take the same approach.

I know a lot of people that won't be buying it for their PC. In our current economy I think it's a bad time to release such a demanding game. Most of my friends would require a $500-700 upgrade just to be able to play at reasonable frame rates. Or they can just buy it for the PS3 or 360 and play just fine. Yeah, you won't get all the eye candy, but you won't go broke either. Who wants to play a game on your PC at reduced resolution and all settings on low?

It boggles my mind that not all "modern" gaming consoles don't have something as simple as a hard drive. Bahahaha!

HAHA well that's what you get for a 5+ year old system.

This.

I honestly want to be able to play this but even with a Q6600/P45/8gb combo on the way and a 1gb GTS250 I'd immagine it won't play the greatest if it's playable online. Those of us on a budget should not expect the worls and on the other side of the coin, it gives something to aim for.

I am okay with being able to play most newer games at decent detail settings that still look better than the console counterparts.

Once I'm done with the current budget build I am working on I will only have about $300 - $350 into it and it will destroy the capabilites of a PS3 for games available on both platforms so no one can say that saving $100 by getting a PS3 is worth it when you know how to build a proper budget gamer using second hand parts.

I know a lot of people that won't be buying it for their PC. In our current economy I think it's a bad time to release such a demanding game. Most of my friends would require a $500-700 upgrade just to be able to play at reasonable frame rates. Or they can just buy it for the PS3 or 360 and play just fine. Yeah, you won't get all the eye candy, but you won't go broke either. Who wants to play a game on your PC at reduced resolution and all settings on low?

There is way more to it then just eye-candy. The controls are FUNDAMENTALLY different. If i was allowed to use a KB/mouse on Xbox/PS3 i would definitely buy more console games just for ease of use. (yes PS3 CAN use them, but most games wont. Even Valve didnt implement it for Portal 2, and that shit got Steamworks on PS3.)

Its like golf, sure you can get a game in with shitty Kmart clubs or you can spend some real money and get equipment that performs a hell of a lot better.

Well, you're probably not going to need much power to do better than the consoles' sub-720p.

Not everyone can buy secondhand parts for their to be secondhand parts. :confused: ;) :D

This.

I honestly want to be able to play this but even with a Q6600/P45/8gb combo on the way and a 1gb GTS250 I'd immagine it won't play the greatest if it's playable online. Those of us on a budget should not expect the worls and on the other side of the coin, it gives something to aim for.

I am okay with being able to play most newer games at decent detail settings that still look better than the console counterparts.

Once I'm done with the current budget build I am working on I will only have about $300 - $350 into it and it will destroy the capabilites of a PS3 for games available on both platforms so no one can say that saving $100 by getting a PS3 is worth it when you know how to build a proper budget gamer using second hand parts.

Hmmm spend more money to play fewer graphically enhanced games that you need to spend hours configuring or spend less money to play a ton more less graphically enhanced games with no configuring. I think I will go with option B since I get more bang for the buck. Enjoy spending more money for your console ports PC gamers lol.

You guys know there is adapter to be able to use a keyboard and mouse as a controller. It is a little pricy and I haven't used one but I got a co-worker who has one and he really likes. here is a link for it.

You guys know there is adapter to be able to use a keyboard and mouse as a controller. It is a little pricy and I haven't used one but I got a co-worker who has one and he really likes. here is a link for it.

The problem with those is that they emulate the controller. Its not the same thing at all.

Hmmm spend more money to play fewer graphically enhanced games that you need to spend hours configuring or spend less money to play a ton more less graphically enhanced games with no configuring. I think I will go with option B since I get more bang for the buck. Enjoy spending more money for your console ports PC gamers lol.

I spent exactly 0 seconds configuring my computer to play BF3.

You can buy the parts for a brand new computer that can play BF3, plus a new LCD monitor for $700. What are your friends currently using, gameboys? I built a computer for a friend 5 years ago and havn't touched it since. He'll be set with a $150 graphics card and $20 worth of ram.

The great thing about PC is that everyone can tailor their experience.
If you're happy with your current setup, great! But I don't think anyone is a sucker for spending their own money for what they want.

The problem with those is that they emulate the controller. Its not the same thing at all.

that may be the case but from what I hear is they do work pretty well, especially the pricier one such as the XIM3 cause you can adjust sensitivity and other settings.

I'm not pointing any fingers but at least some developers have remembered that the games with lower resolution graphics (that require additional texture packs) belong on the console...not the PC. ;)

Looks like the 360, and the PS3 are starting to hit the wall of their technology limits, time for some new consoles.

Although Batman still looks bloody incredible minus physics (don't see how that would make a drastic difference), or some extra scenic environmental effects.

Do you realize that on console with hard drive installation you get the equivalent of 1280x704@30FPS@low of PC version ?

Console games are tolerable at 30 FPS with analog controls. Mouse control tends to really, really suck at those kinds of framerates.

That was a reaction to the statement about $500-$700 upgrade. I am pretty sure a old dualcore with 8800GT will produce better results than the XBOX. And that is far from a $500-$700 upgrade. Hell, you could probably build a brand new PC for that price and play BF3 at higher resolution & framerate than XBOX/PS3.

i have a bad feeling in a few years we're going to see $10 Hi-Res texture DLC for AAA titles like this...

i have a bad feeling in a few years we're going to see $10 Hi-Res texture DLC for AAA titles like this...

Buy it new - get the high resolution texture code. It's the new project ten dollar.

OMG I need to stop giving them ideas.

What?

If you spend hours configuring your PC to play games, than you should go buy a console...you don't have what it takes to operate a PC. LOL

Your "more bang for the buck" games usually cost $10 more on the front end (a lot of PC titles are $49.99, not $59.99), have no moddability...ever, have lower-end graphics, have little to no graphics options, require the use of a gamepad, come with a system that cannot be upgraded...ever, have frame-rate limitations, do not allow as many players in MP games, have NO option for dedicated servers..ever, and require you to deal with more "kids" via voice chat. Wow! Sign me up!

I guess "more bang for your buck" to you equates to getting less for the same price or more. Love the logic. lol

Why are so many people complaining about not being able to afford the upgrade process to play the game in all it's glory? I don't get it. If you can't afford it, then don't buy it? What's with hating that a game pushes graphics to the next level?

Not sure what the hell dwk is referring too. BF3 was designed finally for the PC first. Hence the multiplayer limits. Sounds like you need to ask for money on your links card...

*off topic*

Not an accurate assessment at all. The thing works beautify and I use it to play BlackOps with some Buddies that are not PC savvy. I'm a PC gamer through and through but like I said have some "special friends" that cant comprehend how mice work ;).

All kidding aside the thing works awesome. I can't notice any difference from playing PC games to console games but that fully depends on the translator that the devs of the product have to build. Only problem is you can get banned for using that device as Microsoft doesn't want players to have an unfair advantage.

*on topic*

I'm actually glad game makers are going this route, they need to try something new to push the 360 and PS3. They are hitting a wall with the limitation of these consoles so anything they can do to try to keep pace with PCs is appreciated. Fact is PCs are orders of magnitude more powerful right now and its begging to show.

That was a reaction to the statement about $500-$700 upgrade. I am pretty sure a old dualcore with 8800GT will produce better results than the XBOX. And that is far from a $500-$700 upgrade. Hell, you could probably build a brand new PC for that price and play BF3 at higher resolution & framerate than XBOX/PS3.

Just Cause 2 runs like dog shit on my PC (8800GT & E8400 dual core), even on low. The 360 version looks miles better...

i ahve not played dumbed down console games in years. Everything looks and plays better on the PC. Personally I think BF3 needs tog et delayed and patched. Its not ready becuase the Beta was way too laggy. Also I need it to come to steam. I hate Origin.

seems like this is a limitation of the media the game is delivered on, not the capabilities of the console

the lack of a hard drive and blu-ray drive were choices MS made that Sony did not regardless of the guts. BFBC2 runs and looks great on PS3.

seems like this is a limitation of the media the game is delivered on, not the capabilities of the console

the lack of a hard drive and blu-ray drive were choices MS made that Sony did not regardless of the guts. BFBC2 runs and looks great on PS3.

Much can be said about sony's service and microsoft (PSN vs XBL).

Hardly play PC games. This was when I had 98, pain in the butt having to install a game, patch this, and patch that. Oh Wait DirectX don't work, check this and check that. XP has definitely smooth a lot of things out. But I'm kind of done with that, I leave my PC for what it does best, no worries about graphics card getting out dated -- it can still play solitaire and get on the web.

Pop in a game into 360 or PS3, it found that there's a patch -- cool, fix it. Gaming in 2-3 minutes (new game in 5-10 if it needs to run a patch. PS3 is anonying with its installation so sometimes takes longer).

What the hell are you doing on HardOCP then? :p

Who wants to play a console port with a $2000+ PC?

It goes both ways.

My rig cost $750.00 two years ago. No problem playing the demo. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when referring to on the $2000 PCs and $700 upgrades. :confused:

Back