Android Boss: Your Phone Should Not Be Your Assistant

HardOCP News

[H] News
Andy Rubin, the head of Android at Google, doesn't seem to be a big fan of Siri. Honestly, I'm not one to judge. Siri might be the only interaction with a "female" some of these people have in a day. :D

I don’t believe that your phone should be an assistant, Your phone is a tool for communicating. You shouldn’t be communicating with the phone; you should be communicating with somebody on the other side of the phone.

That's a very narrow interpretation of a phone these days. Perhaps they should drop Google maps from Android in that case? A great many other apps on phones now are not meant to communicate with anyone. Perhaps drop those from the market too?

I'm a fan of Android. I have an Android phone. But this guy sounds like a jackass.

ahh so this is why Android is shit for games then?

ROFL!, troll much? Or did you just get off the boat from 2008? Android has been AWESOME for games, since the very first phone (had it, and it was good until about 4 months ago)

ahh so this is why Android is shit for games then?

No, Android is shit for games for the same reason iPhone is shit for games. Touch interfaces suck for them.

Go troll somewhere else.

img]

So if I'm reading this thread correctly:

-Android has something similar to Apple's Siri
-Android boss thinks Siri is stupid
-Apple is stupid
-Steve Jobs personally raped and killed Foxconn employees

mostly true, yes sir, but who said apple was stupid? They certaintly are not stupid at marketing, advertising, or creating hype. They are GENIUS at that, and only genius at that.

Vlingo is also available for iOS. Siri does a lot more than vlingo.

How so? I have not seen any difference much between the 2. And yeah, vlingo has been on iphone 4 before siri as well, quite funny I think.

They BOTH basically use voice to give you what you want (if its common and not unusual words, or slang). I do not use either and I do have a smartphone, but I will say I have used this tech for a long time and think its not even close to perfect, yet.... voice-to-speech is still quite shitty if you ask me, apple, android, or microsoft!

Played around with my friends iphone with siri. While it's kind of neat I wouldn't bother using it.

Siri is a good bit better than Vlingo, and I think Siri will find use with a good number of people. Sounds like Google is sad they cant compete on this front :(

What do you mean compete? They had well enough time to scope out the vlingo app, much like apple did. It's the guys opinion, and the opinion that matches many other techy people.... so it all boils down to "who cares what this guy thinks" in the end. meh. I agree with him, but others can easily disagree based on their opinion and use of the product. Topics like this just fuel a "mine is better" debate going back and forth :D

Siri's not gonna work well like this. Right now I think it'll work as far as the hype goes. Face it, trying to make a casual talk with an inanimate object doesn't have much appeal. The same reason why most gamers never put much reaction towards video-game characters until Half-Life 2 came along. Unless Siri gives itself a human-like quality, it won't be used often. There's another alternative that almost everyone prefer though, and it's called 'Googling'.

If the phone is $200 with a contract or $700 without and requires an additional $25 fee per month on top of minutes and texts, then yes, it needs to be able to do a whole lot more than be a communication device.

Maybe he was talking about dumbphones.

So 2 people saying that siri is not a copy of vlingo... but have given 0 clues or PROOF that it is. Just fanboy talk so far...... and really? the 4S is $25/month compared to the iphone 4? Talk about getting suckered...

So if I'm reading this thread correctly:

-Android has something similar to Apple's Siri
-Android boss thinks Siri is stupid
-Apple is stupid
-Steve Jobs personally raped and killed Foxconn employees

This thread is so full of fail and you sir hit the nail on the head.

Andy Rubin, the head of Android at Google, doesn't seem to be a big fan of Siri. Honestly, I'm not one to judge. Siri might be the only interaction with a "female" some of these people have in a day. :D

Andy doesn't sound very bright considering the whole point of smartphones versus regular phones. If we were talking about Samsung Rugby then yeah he might have a point, but a smartphone is supposed to be an ultra ultra portable computer - document reader, calculator, note taker, email, web browsing, entertainment - and it's supposed to be able to do any of those as simple as possible.

Sounds like Andy's just sore about Siri.

No, he is spot on I'd say. Did you butthurt appleheads actually read the article?

This last part especially is quite informed:

“This isn’t a new notion,” he said. “In projecting the future, I think Apple did a good job of figuring out when the technology was ready to be consumer-grade.”

How is he hurt, if he says they did a good job? See, you guys make about 0% sense on that part. Nobody here is hurt besides you guys.

And the article further proves my point, that siri is NOTHING new.... and yet we have 3+ "apple geniuses" still unable to prove me wrong, and avoiding my question for proof, as usual.

I don’t believe that your phone should X, Your phone is a tool for Y. You shouldn’t be X with the phone; you should be Z [with] the phone.

Is Andy Rubin possessed by the ghost of Steve Jobs?

No, he is spot on I'd say. Did you butthurt appleheads actually read the article?

This last part especially is quite informed:

How is he hurt, if he says they did a good job? See, you guys make about 0% sense on that part. Nobody here is hurt besides you guys.

And the article further proves my point, that siri is NOTHING new.... and yet we have 3+ "apple geniuses" still unable to prove me wrong, and avoiding my question for proof, as usual.

Glad you figured it out, sport. But we all knew that already too. Dragon Naturally Speaking has been around for centuries.

The gist of the article was that he didn't support the idea of talking to your phone to make it perform, not whether it was capable of it.

I think the irony comes in that with the default communication settings, Siri responds to the user without them needing to even unlock the phone or swipe. So theoretically, you could say those magic words in this comic anytime you see an iPhone 4 sitting on the lunchroom table of your office for 10s as he goes to refill his cup of coffee. Or to the phone next to you at a restaurant as his friends/co-workers laugh at what your doing.

I think the irony comes in that with the default communication settings, Siri responds to the user without them needing to even unlock the phone or swipe. So theoretically, you could say those magic words in this comic anytime you see an iPhone 4 sitting on the lunchroom table of your office for 10s as he goes to refill his cup of coffee. Or to the phone next to you at a restaurant as his friends/co-workers laugh at what your doing.

Or if it was any other phone left sitting on a table, you could just pick it up and do the same thing. Perhaps it isn't as fully capable as we would like yet, but I think it's a pretty cool technology and hope to see it progress further.

Or if it was any other phone left sitting on a table, you could just pick it up and do the same thing. Perhaps it isn't as fully capable as we would like yet, but I think it's a pretty cool technology and hope to see it progress further.

Nooo, I think you missed some keywords while reading. Particularly, the part about default communication settings with Siri NOT requiring you to swipe or enter your password/unlock your phone to follow basic commands. With any other phone, you'd need to know this complete strangers 4-8 digit passcode(which would take a while to even brute-force crack by manually trying different combos) and need to touch the phone.

The irony here is that you could be in the booth behind the guy, turn around and talk an embarassing command into his phone and have his phone perform it without you ever entering any kind of security info. Unlike the iPhone 1-3, Andriod phones, Sony Ericson phones, etc which would theroetically when locked requires you to actually unlock it before you can use it.

If the person locked the phone; how many people don't have any kind of lock in the first place? I've never lost a phone in my life, I had mine locked for a while and finally said eff it, it isn't worth the time to unlock each time.

So 2 people saying that siri is not a copy of vlingo... but have given 0 clues or PROOF that it is. Just fanboy talk so far...... and really? the 4S is $25/month compared to the iphone 4? Talk about getting suckered...

Siri search google for siri vs vlingo

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phon...s-google-voice-actions-tellme-and-vlingo/6780

Cliffs:

Siri:

Call people or numbers
Play songs stored on your iPhone
Text people
Setup meetings
Setup reminders
Ask for directions
Email people
Find out stock prices
Set alarms
Ask for address info from your contact list
Find your friends using the Find My Friends utility
Create notes
Get answers to calculations and trivia via Wolfram Alpha
Search the Internet
Voice to text: Mic icon appears like on Android and even this requires a data connection.

As I mentioned, Siri lets you hold “real” conversations so you can create a note with one item and then pause in between each item to add as a bullet to a note in an ongoing conversation. You can ask Siri what your schedule is for today, the week, or more with questions such as “What’s next for me?” I use my phone for my alarms and tend to vary my wake up time on a regular basis. I hated going through several steps to set these up and now I just tell Siri to wake me at 4:15 am and am done. Siri also supports location-based services, being referred to by people as a geo-fence, so you can have a reminder go off when you get to a certain location, such as “Remind me to call the dentist when I get home.”

Vlingo:

Vlingo does a great job of tying into apps on the platforms and providing voice to text functionality. Unlike Siri, it is not conversational. It is natural though and does not require any kind of voice training or anything. With Vlingo you can perform the following types of actions:

Call people or numbers
Update your Facebook or Twitter status
Play songs stored on your iPhone
Text people
Ask for directions
Email people
Create notes
Search the Internet
Open applications
Voice to text

Vlingo functions much like Google Voice Actions, except it works on multiple platforms. It is very powerful and you should check it out if you don’t have an iPhone 4S.

Bottom of article:

Which do I prefer?

I was starting to put together a table to compare these different platforms and services, but I think it is actually quite easy to compare and contrast Siri with the rest. Google Voice Actions, Windows Phone 7, and Vlingo are all very similar and the only real big functional advantage they have over Siri is the ability to launch applications. Other than that, Siri beats all the others with the conversational nature of the utility that helps refine actions and make your life easier. Some of what Siri does actually helps ease my concern with a smaller display on the iPhone 4S compared to the Android and Windows Phone 7 big 4.3 inch devices. All of these services require data connections to perform so that is an inherent weakness with these voice recognition and assistant programs.

People who have not tried Siri really cannot understand the power and capability of it. Here is a sample conversation I had with Siri that shows how functional it really is:

Me: Play This Week in Tech
Siri: Now playing Twit 322: Damn you Siri
Me: Play Twit 323
Siri: Here’s Twit 323: There’s an App in my Lap

I then went on to make a couple of calls and after about 15 minutes I came back to Siri.

Me: Resume playing Twit
Siri: OK…

I don’t know about you, but the ability of Siri to continue the conversation and understand my INTENT is simply amazing and revolutionary. I honestly think we are just starting to see the beginning of a new smartphone user paradigm and unlike many people who have said the novelty of Siri will wear off I think people will start using it more and more and then not be able to use phones that don’t provide such assistance.

-Apple has Siri
"Apple is stupid"

-Android has same functionality
"Android is cool"

I'm sorry I must have forgotten my Guest Pass when I entered this elementary school.

ROFL!, troll much? Or did you just get off the boat from 2008? Android has been AWESOME for games, since the very first phone (had it, and it was good until about 4 months ago)
Well back in 2008 the SGX540 in one of the new flagship android devices (galaxy nexus) would have been a good GPU. If Android is AWESOME for games, what does that make the iPhone?

Tell me when the big name developers start developing for Android.

As an Android fan, I personally love Siri. Though I think it should a step further on Android. For example, the voices should be customizable. Imagine having GLaDos voice or KITT from Knight Rider.

To be honest, the phone is a tool, and whatever tool we choose it to be. That's what makes smart phones so great.

Think about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFv4J4yQcrI

A computer girlfriend is almost perfect. Here's a woman that doesn't nag or bitch at you, but does her best to do anything you want her to. Except, she can't do the one thing a guy wants a woman for.

(SHUTUP, I meant, by "one thing" a complementary equal.)

-Apple has Siri
"Apple is stupid"

-Android has same functionality
"Android is cool"

I'm sorry I must have forgotten my Guest Pass when I entered this elementary school.

Please, continue posting and make it appear even more obvious that you're a shill for Apple... :rolleyes:

Back