Do i need a new PSU?

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Im having some stability issues, specially booting from cold i get resets, and today while reaching windows my mouse n keyboard didnt had power, i change the ports but still the same, waited like 15min in windows log on screen and it had like slight flash, when i saw the mouse/keyboard both were working... also im using a Laptop 2.5 hdds as OS, to my knowledge, laptop drives uses 5V n 3.3V instead of 12V like 3.5 drives, so this could be the cause of the resets..... but im not sure.

I know that software probes arent as reliable as a multimeter, but i just wanted to see how all the voltages were, while the PSU was cold, here is a pic,

idleserver.jpg

The 12V and 3.3V seems very steady cold or hot, but the 5V seems to fluctate a lot while the PSU is cold, once i have an hour or so, the 5V goes stable around 5.008, but cold i seen as low as 4.6V, this should be out of the 5% allowed variance. Once the computer has one hour or so running, no BSODs, no resets, nothing, dead stable 8 hours of prime95 and 4 hours of memtest86++.

All that said, im still not 100% sure whats the problem, so just looking for some advice if you guys think i should buy a new PSU or any suggestion into what could it be.

Software readings are never accurate. Use a multimeter to measure the voltages.

That said, 2.5" drives work fine in any SATA compliant system that can supply the required power and voltages (desktops 3.3V, 5V and 12V, notebooks only up to 5V, netbooks usually 3.3V max).

Those voltage readings don't tell us anything as software cannot and will not provide even remotely accurate voltage readings. So definitely use a digital multi-meter if you think the PSU is the problem.

Though to me, your issues sounds mobo related.

Thanks for the replies,

I had an crappy PSU tester around, not sure if this things are accurate, but you do plug the 24pin mobo, 8pin cpu and molex for reading. Here a pic

anteccp850readings.jpg

I have different mobo that i could try if you guys think its the mobo.

You really need to test it with a multimeter while it's in the PC. Testing it with a PSU tester that provides minimal load doesn't really tell you much.

Back