Apple Closes Stores To Celebrate The Life Of Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is it too soon to make "I'm sure they served plenty of Kool-Aid" jokes? I'm just asking.

Two weeks after the death of Steve Jobs, Apple celebrated the life of its late co-founder at a private event held today at its headquarters in Cupertino. In conjunction with the event, Apple closed its retail stores for three hours worldwide, giving store employees a chance to watch the proceedings from live video being piped in.

Yeah quite a nice way to pay respect, I bet they lost quite a large sum of money worldwide for those 3 hours too.

Yet another reason why the cult of apple remains strong. They have to call attention to themselves by publicizing their memorial. At the same time, they're reinforcing their elite status by making it available to only employees. I realize they have a large market share and boat loads of cash, but the company as a whole needs to get over itself. If there was a dictionary about companies, a picture of the apple logo would be all that is needed under the heading ego.

Yet another reason why the cult of apple remains strong. They have to call attention to themselves by publicizing their memorial. At the same time, they're reinforcing their elite status by making it available to only employees. I realize they have a large market share and boat loads of cash, but the company as a whole needs to get over itself. If there was a dictionary about companies, a picture of the apple logo would be all that is needed under the heading ego.

Dear God.

I wouldn't expect any less from some of the members here, when anything Apple is posted.

This is [H]. You'll only see these kind of news here about Apple :) You'll never see product announcements, quarterly earnings, or any positive article for that matter :D

Did the employees get paid during those three hours? Were they required to stay at work during those three hours?

Like the employees at the retail stores are going to watch it instead of dozing off somewhere.. :p

Well, except for those die hard fans probably

Don't worry. The fear subsides over time. You'll be fine...

5% market share in the computer business is NOT a large market share.

In hind sight, probably a bit of an over reaction, but you know 'ol Stevie is smiling from wherever he is now seeing that the cult of crApple is still strong in his absence.

You mean the company where the average suicide rate is actually lower compared to other companies? Get out of here.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/foremski/...-foxconn-significantly-cuts-suicide-risk/1356

You know what is wrong? Quoting partial facts. The average suicide risk from the article is the average across ALL OF FRICKIN CHINA.

you had 10 Foxconn employees commit suicide AT WORK.

You don't need to be a damned numbers genius to figure out that the article link you posted is full of crap, and that the other guy he quotes (from the "Institute of Analytical Journalism" nonetheless) couldn't add 2+2 and come up with four. Next time READ the link you are posting AND any sublinks before you link to such a completely useless and practically fraudulent article.

:confused::eek::confused:

Then I would like to know what are those companies that have a higher risk of suicide?

Because the amount of deaths in one month was pretty bad at foxconn.

The suicides were because of a stupid life insurance policy. If a worker died on the job, their family would get the equivalent (adjusted for cost of living) of several million dollars in USD. Basically, they killed themselves so their families would be set for the next 4 generations. They changed this policy, and the suicides stopped.

Well f%&k my hat, an Apple store is a better place to work than Fry's, worked there for a year, had to go to the mandatory staff appreciation breakfast at 4am (three hours before my shift actually started), and wasn't allowed to claim that as work time.

Back