RAGE Gameplay Performance and Image Quality @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
RAGE Gameplay Performance and Image Quality - RAGE, id Software's latest high-profile game, was released two weeks ago to a resounding, "WTF!?" Some gamers applaud its gameplay while others condemn its graphics and gameplay. We're here to talk about our time with the game and give our readers a good hard look at performance and image quality in this new shooter.

I love how the comments got shorter as you read them, from Mark to Brent to el jefe. :) Thanks, gentlemen...I think I'll be skipping this tech demo for the time being.

Even if the game looked and performed like we all would've hoped, I still would've passed on this game, even though I was pretty excited about it as recently as six months ago. Then I saw the E3 gameplay vids and started to get worried. Then the game came out and the reviews confirmed my worst fears. I don't know why, but id hasn't even gotten the gameplay right for most of their recent titles. The last game of there's that I actually liked was Quake III Arena.

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added.

And we certainly no longer see you as the leading developer for PC games John. :(

how can a site like hardocp not mention the fact that triple buffering is lacking? there are 100s of dx games (& even apps like d3doverrider) that work just fine with vsync without dropping to 30fps

also megatextures appeared in ETQW first, tech4

id hasn't even gotten the gameplay right for most of their recent titles. The last game of there's that I actually liked was Quake III Arena.

barely any titles exist, only doom3 & quake4 which are quite similar

I feel betrayed more than anything else. Hell, that quote makes pirating RAGE seem like a logical and a just choice, but I'm not gonna give them the pleasure of playing this game. We need a new hero now.

I like it..............Yeah, I said it.:eek: and......

I like the review, it's very fair and yes, this game could be ALOT better.

Overall it's run fine for me since I loaded it up, using the 11.10 preview V2 drivers.
My system is gimped because there are no CF profiles, I'd like to see what I could see if I could use the entire GPU arsenal though.

Thanks for the review.:D

I feel betrayed more than anything else. Hell, that quote makes pirating RAGE seem like a logical and a just choice, but I'm not gonna give them the pleasure of playing this game. We need a new hero now.
pirating is never a just choice. if its too crappy for you pay any amount for it then its too crappy for you play it for free. I will grab it when it hits 20 bucks or less and by then they will have the high res texture pack.

Ugh... I haven't owned an Id title since Q3A and I guess I am not starting now....

oh ya thats so fair to use both nvidia and amd card when the game and ID Software code there ganes for ALL and ONLY Nvidia is a fair comparison?????????? :rolleyes:
Assholes............

Gonna skip this game completely unless Id fixes all the issues. Even then I may not buy this game. Perhaps in the bargain bin for $4.99 on steam

Carmack -Rep to the millionth power.

oh ya thats so fair to use both nvidia and amd card when the game and ID Software code there ganes for ALL and ONLY Nvidia is a fair comparison?????????? :rolleyes:
Assholes............

I think he's trying to say that it is somehow unfair that nvidia and id have some sort of double top-secret pact??? If that were the case, why is it that nvidia still doesn't have SLi enabled for Rage? (to be fair, AMD doesn't have a Crossfire profile either)

But what are we then supposed to compare? nvidia to nvidia?:rolleyes:

So you guys think this game is going to get a high rez pack and CF support sometime down the line? If so I'll wait on playing it. I paid the $60 in a pre order on Steam, which sucks but I guess I'm stuck with it.. Last pre order I'll ever make.

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," Carmack added.

And we certainly no longer see you as the leading developer for PC games John. :(

I agree. That's no reason to regress technologically. What a colossally disappointing product from one of the stalwarts of the PC gaming industry.

This is what we have to look forward to? Hilariously idiotic game play and weak graphics for the benefit of people who game on "easy bake oven computers" that they purchased from Toys-R-Us?

Damn, I was all excited... For about 15 seconds - I thought: At last, after all these years, a kick-ass FPS game that won't be the let down that Doom III was...

But then: " id Software has abandoned the community that made the company what it is today"

Well, F.U. id, I was all excited to go out and buy it, no way Jose after some tripe like that spews from your foul lips!

So you guys think this game is going to get a high rez pack and CF support sometime down the line? If so I'll wait on playing it. I paid the $60 in a pre order on Steam, which sucks but I guess I'm stuck with it.. Last pre order I'll ever make.
a high res texture pack is being worked on right now

"We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage."

a high res texture pack is being worked on right now

"We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage."

That isn't a texture pack, that is simply some new code to up sample textures already in the game, and all it can do is make things more clear, it cannot add detail that is not there.

...so it appears that 16X AA involves a full-screen blur effect, similar to what we have seen from MLAA in the past, but worse image quality than MLAA.
Marvelous job Id.

If you want 64x AA just rub Vaseline on your monitor.

So, on the PC they used CUDA which benefits Nvidia cards, but sucks to be AMD owners. What's the Xbox 360 version running? That has an ATI chip in it too.

So, on the PC they used CUDA which benefits Nvidia cards, but sucks to be AMD owners. What's the Xbox 360 version running? That has an ATI chip in it too.

360 is definitely running an ATI based chip (Radeon 1900 type?).

Carmack has stated his stance before and you can probably find it somewhere. Carmack will always have preference for NVidia hardware and NVidia hardware will always be in his development machines.

It's nothing new, something we knew for ages since the days when it was more than NV/ATI. The XBOX 360 is using a very early version of the 2900 series. (Their first unified shader GPU was the chip in the X360.)

Last edited:
Performance reviews like this are the reason I keep coming back to [H]... I hope you get your money Kyle.

Also, it's about time I had CUDA actually DO something for me.

Anyone who will condemn a game without playing it is not a gamer. Anyone who makes up their mind about a game from reviews is an idiot. Used to be there were quite a few real gamers around. I don't know where the hell they went. Viewing this thread I don't see any. Lots of critics but no gamers. You guys rave on cynical Kyle. The dude has turned into a grumpy old dude with his high dollar systems with multi screens who would rather bitch than play. He wouldn't know a good game if it kicked him in the balls. Go bash some more games dudes, I'm gonna go play and have some fun.

I've got an nvidia card and so Rage runs pretty well for me. I've had fun playing it so far and while the low quality textures are disappointing they don't ruin the game play for me. The odd thing is I normally just buy ID games to see the cool graphics to see what all my machine is capable of but never finish the game but in this case I find the game play fun. No real ooh and ah moments with the graphics and that is disappointing but I find the game play fun.

Anyone who will condemn a game without playing it is not a gamer. Anyone who makes up their mind about a game from reviews is an idiot. Used to be there were quite a few real gamers around. I don't know where the hell they went. Viewing this thread I don't see any. Lots of critics but no gamers. You guys rave on cynical Kyle. The dude has turned into a grumpy old dude with his high dollar systems with multi screens who would rather bitch than play. He wouldn't know a good game if it kicked him in the balls. Go bash some more games dudes, I'm gonna go play and have some fun.

Following this logic, in order to be a "real" driver, you do not test drive a vehicle or read reviews on it before you buy it.
In order to be a "real" home buyer, you do not look at, or read about, the house you are signing for before you buy it.
In order to be a "real" consumer, you have to buy things without looking at what they are made of....

I keep coming to this site because the [H] doesn't get on their knees for games that suck, unlike most hardware or gaming sites.

I disagree completely. Anyone who supports a game studio that is even in existence because of pc gamers that has the outright audacity to serve us a half assed effort of a shitty game when we clearly deserves more is sending a clear message. That message is I'll settle for the scraps of your plate from your four course meal that your console version of the same game bought you.

That is damaging gaming on the PC and in general. If you don't see that then you are no better than anyone you are trying to call out and for worse reasons in my opinion.

I don't have to play this game to give ID software the middle finger they deserve. After me purchasing all doom games, wolfenstein, and quake games. Those may be the last of my money they enjoy until they decide to serve me a full plate of what they are having.

I just found his thoughts funny and straight to the point about how he felt. that does not mean I completely agree with him on this or even Crysis 2.

and no we are not idiots for relying on reviews. those give us an idea of what to expect and in some cases what we may want to avoid. if a game gets stunning reviews, especially from users, then most people have trouble plopping down their 50-60 bucks. on the other hand if there are issues then we can also choose to avoid the game until those are addressed. most of us will probably pick up RAGE at some point and probably enjoy it. that does not mean it should not be criticized when there were/are clearly some issues.

In this screenshot we see some bright purple splotches where it looks like textures are not yet loaded for those surfaces. This happened most noticeably on NVIDIA video cards said:
I just have to add: if the purple (blue) artifacts are more evident on Nvidia cards than AMD, wouldn't that add to the performance gain that we are seeing here?

Am I the only one who noticed the "DO NOT BUY RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the header of every page? LOL!

Anyone who will condemn a game without playing it is not a gamer. Anyone who makes up their mind about a game from reviews is an idiot.

So ignoring everyone and blindly plopping down $60 of your hard earned money is the way to be a gamer? :eek:

I just have to add: if the purple (blue) artifacts are more evident on Nvidia cards than AMD, wouldn't that add to the performance gain that we are seeing here?

It could contribute I suppose, but there is undoubtedly more at play here. Those surfaces not rendering properly cannot possibly make up that huge differences we measured.

Back