Smartphones Can Spy on Keyboards to Record Your Passwords

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously? Smartphones being used to record and decipher what you are typing on your keyboard? I'm not saying this story is BS, but I am definitely skeptical.

A research team at Georgia Tech has discovered how to do exactly that, using a smartphone accelerometer -- the internal device that detects when and how the phone is tilted -- to sense keyboard vibrations and decipher complete sentences with up to 80 percent accuracy. The procedure is not easy, they say, but is definitely possible with the latest generations of smartphones.

Interesting. I was thinking the story would tell us that some people would use smartphone's video recording feature and record people's typing over their shoulders.

Finally a justification to make typos, spell and grammar errors by design!
To make double sure, I'll only type random characters in Word from now on.

They can probably pick up mechanical keyboard vibrations from across the room :eek:

I absolutely do not believe this.

Phone type, distance from keyboard, desk material, and vibrations from other activities seem more than likely to introduce enough variation in the vibration patterns to make this virtually impossible.

Under the most ideal conditions, in a controlled environment where you could tweak and monitor every aspect, you might be able to glean some information, but the idea of a phone trojan being able to capture this in a totally unknown environment - I would call that as close to impossible as you can get.

There's nothing to see here - the variables are ridiculous.

For those that didn't read the article (don't bother), it "works" by using the accelerometer to guess roughly what area of the keyboard was pressed. From there it comes up with a pair of "probable" letters. Then it compares all the probable letter combinations against a dictionary. So if whatever you are typing is not in the dictionary it's impossible for it to identify what you are typing.

In other words it's completely useless for anything like passwords, usernames, email addresses, account numbers, slang, abbreviations, smileys, and anything else that won't be in the dictionary. It is also probably baffled by numbers, punctuation, ambient bumps and vibrations, arrow keys, backspaces, shifted characters, and much more. Also, as noted above, typos will throw the whole thing off. So a password like "gr33n366s&H@m" would stump it. Even a password like "p@ssworD" would stump it.

I thought it would be something cooler like using the wifi and bluetooth radios to eavesdrop on wireless keyboards.

I think the concept and theory is sound. The software on the phone could account for being left/right of the keyboard, sense relative distance from each key based on intensity of the vibration, etc. I'd be really interested in seeing this tested in a real-world environment, though.

And, of course, in order to be of any use to a ne'er-do-well, the target would have to have the app installed and running on their phone, so that provides at least some barrier to entry.

There's nothing to see here - the variables are ridiculous.

For those that didn't read the article (don't bother), it "works" by using the accelerometer to guess roughly what area of the keyboard was pressed. From there it comes up with a pair of "probable" letters. Then it compares all the probable letter combinations against a dictionary. So if whatever you are typing is not in the dictionary it's impossible for it to identify what you are typing.

In other words it's completely useless for anything like passwords, usernames, email addresses, account numbers, slang, abbreviations, smileys, and anything else that won't be in the dictionary. It is also probably baffled by numbers, punctuation, ambient bumps and vibrations, arrow keys, backspaces, shifted characters, and much more. Also, as noted above, typos will throw the whole thing off. So a password like "gr33n366s&H@m" would stump it. Even a password like "p@ssworD" would stump it.

I thought it would be something cooler like using the wifi and bluetooth radios to eavesdrop on wireless keyboards.

and there lies the danger. We here at the [H] know better to use easy passwords. Everyone else is likely to use dictionary words. That's why this research is important.

That's another reason (besides it always mistyping) I hate these virtual keyboards. Never like them, always prefer a slideout too, but now we are almost forced to if we upgrade these days ):

Anyways.... I think its a big issue because what stops a hacker (a good one who innovates new viruses) from making a 2nd "virtual" keyboard on top of yours? What I mean is like a virtual keyboard logger, that users would never be able to tell the difference.... get what I'm saying? What prevents a hacker from putting a virtual key log keyboard on your smartphone? If people would download a virus app (unbeknownst to them), what would stop the virus from manipulating the look of a real virtual keyboard on your screen?

Why would your smartphone need to spy on you when we already put half or better of our passwords into them already. MIGHT not do work related stuff but I know my passwords were always similar.

Back