Comcast Credits Customer For Wasting His Time

HardOCP News

[H] News
We've all taken time off from work because our ISP needs to send a technician by our house between 8am and 5pm...only to have the tech no show. Well after this guy had it happen to him, he wrote a level headed letter and got credited $150 for his time. :cool:

Ryan made a calm, clear, and cogent business argument about why he should be compensated for all his time Comcast had wasted, and it worked. Another good thing that he did in his letter is say that he used to be a happy customer who would again start recommending Comcast if they take care of him. Sometimes this approach works better than a scorched earth one.

well if I had to take a day off because the cable guy says that's the only time they can be there, and they don't show up, don't call or anything, I better damn well be compensated for taking the day off. Don't even think about saying that cable service is a luxury and you're not required to take time off of work.

And like I posted on there, nowhere does it actually say he got credited for his time. It says that *asked* to be credited.

i swear i remember reading that it was the law in New york or something. They must provide a credit if they don't show up to an appointment or something. Pretty sure it was new york anyway.

In New York City you get two months for any missed appointment. And each appointment they have to arrive in a 4 hour window. Like 8-12 or 1-5 They can arrive at the last minute. But if they are no-shows you get two months free.

When I had residential Comcast it could be a crap shoot at times, but after I switched to business even though it's the same physical line, the same backend equipment really, the same employees even show up (now, the phone support is an entirely different phone number for business lines), suddenly it went from 'We can have somebody out there next Tuesday between 2-6' on the residential line to 'Let me see if any of our techs have a opening today....(we'll send somebody over now) or ok, looks like they're all filled up for today, but we can get to you as early as you'd like tomorrow.' on the business line.

The best part is since I didn't have cable TV I was already basically paying the same as a business line rate. $59.95 for the 12Mbps package (modem included). The only bad part was the $250 install fee considering the place was already completely wired from residential internet. Since I planned to have them a few years though it was worth it even at that installation price for the better support and no bandwidth cap.

And like I posted on there, nowhere does it actually say he got credited for his time. It says that *asked* to be credited.

Umm, first sentence? ;)

"Ryan was able to get a $150 service credit from Comcast by asking for them to pay him back for all the vacation time he missed waiting around for a service tech who never showed up."

His letter asked for the credit yes. But they then said that it worked and he got it. They didn't show any proof they just said that it worked.

I still call BS. Comcast would rather pull out their collective fingernails then credit for this type of situation.

When I had residential Comcast it could be a crap shoot at times, but after I switched to business even though it's the same physical line, the same backend equipment really, the same employees even show up (now, the phone support is an entirely different phone number for business lines), suddenly it went from 'We can have somebody out there next Tuesday between 2-6' on the residential line to 'Let me see if any of our techs have a opening today....(we'll send somebody over now) or ok, looks like they're all filled up for today, but we can get to you as early as you'd like tomorrow.' on the business line.

The best part is since I didn't have cable TV I was already basically paying the same as a business line rate. $59.95 for the 12Mbps package (modem included). The only bad part was the $250 install fee considering the place was already completely wired from residential internet. Since I planned to have them a few years though it was worth it even at that installation price for the better support and no bandwidth cap.

How do you get the business cable internet? I was thinking of switching because it's the same price I am paying now for the residential service, however on the business line, there's no cap and I'm all for that, even though I don't quite understand it. Do you actually have to have proof and paperwork of your business or can you just make up crap?

Sorry for the thread sidetrack but I've really been curious about this lately.

How do you get the business cable internet? I was thinking of switching because it's the same price I am paying now for the residential service, however on the business line, there's no cap and I'm all for that, even though I don't quite understand it. Do you actually have to have proof and paperwork of your business or can you just make up crap?

You don't need proof.. you just sign up for it.

No f'ing way would I take a day off work to work around comcast's schedule.

If Comcast wants me as a customer, they work around MY schedule (which they have in the past with two exceptions).

So far, they've kept me as a customer. (Come on Verizon...get FIOS here already!!!)

I've had cable internet since October of 1999, with several different companies over that time. I've had only 1 major outage in that time and it was resolved in less then 24 hours, tech was on time and didn't even have to come in to fix it. I've even had a tech show up early one Sunday to fix my HD when I first upgraded and he was done in time for the early football game.

What can I say, I have no issue with Comcast what so ever.

My question is that the guy claims he makes $25 an hour... so if you count is the time he spent outside of work, he lost $150 waiting for the tech to come. All i can say is, who makes $25 an hour?

My question is that the guy claims he makes $25 an hour... so if you count is the time he spent outside of work, he lost $150 waiting for the tech to come. All i can say is, who makes $25 an hour?

Serious question? Lots of people make $25 an hour. That puts you at around $50-$55,000 a year income. That's not that much.

Serious question? Lots of people make $25 an hour. That puts you at around $50-$55,000 a year income. That's not that much.

Yes that isn't that unusual for a year income, must most people I know that make around that amount, don't actually get paid per the hour. But then again, i only make 8.50 an hour.. so anything past 12 is a whole different world to me...

Yes that isn't that unusual for a year income, must most people I know that make around that amount, don't actually get paid per the hour. But then again, i only make 8.50 an hour.. so anything past 12 is a whole different world to me...

I can imagine. I've worked in the retail industry for 15 years before landing a job in the IT field. Lets just say my budget's gotten a whole lot better since.

I have Charter...not so much different than Comcast really. I have never had to take off work to meet their schedule...luckily I only work 4 days a week, so i have a free Monday, and therefore schedule all I can for that day.

And $25 an hour isnt that great depending...I myself make $24.63 an hour as a Federal employee, and I am paid hourly as well. Others in my shop make quite a bit over that, the highest being just a shade under $34 an hour...

yeah $25 / hour isn't special. i was more impressed with being able to take vacation time an hour at a time. I have to take a full day.

I have been credited for a similar situation. I had a problem that should have been fixed remotely but Comcast fucked up so I had to stay home waiting for the tech. Tech got there and had them fix it remotely so I bitched (extensively....it took like 6 phone calls) to Comcast about wasting my time and had them comp a month of my bill and reset my monthly bill to the new signup rate for the next year.

That said, I hate Comcast (they are one of the worst corps in the US for a reason) specifically because there is not a month that goes by that I pay a full price bill. I don't pay a full price bill because they screw something up every single month and I get credits every month.....for 3 years. If they weren't the local monopoly cable provider.....

when I had comcast those idiots missed at least 8 appointments the 4 years that I was with them not once did they make it within the 8-5 scheduled time slots

Pretty much all of my employees make $25/hour. You'd be surprised how many businesses incorrectly make employees "salaried" to avoid paying overtime. I'd go so far as to say a MAJORITY of salaried employees should probably be classified as hourly.

In my parts of California, if you don't make at LEAST $25 an hour, you're living in a shit hole with two roommates.

That said, I hate Comcast (they are one of the worst corps in the US for a reason) specifically because there is not a month that goes by that I pay a full price bill. I don't pay a full price bill because they screw something up every single month and I get credits every month.....for 3 years. If they weren't the local monopoly cable provider.....

I rarely ever pay full price either. Just call them up when the bill gets high and get them to lower it. It's never not worked for me and I've had Comcast for years.

I live in Texas so the 22+ I make an hour goes a long way :) I work hourly too so the pay can go up and down depends on the hours we work anywhere from 50+ hours a week to 70+ so at pay time it all works out pretty well.

I have been credited for a similar situation. I had a problem that should have been fixed remotely but Comcast fucked up so I had to stay home waiting for the tech. Tech got there and had them fix it remotely so I bitched (extensively....it took like 6 phone calls) to Comcast about wasting my time and had them comp a month of my bill and reset my monthly bill to the new signup rate for the next year.

Comcast is great where I live. We lose cable maybe once, twice at most a year, same with internet. It's expensive though and the only option at least it works.

Comcast has credited me for everything under the sun. I've received well over $500 in credits from comcast over the years , even if my internet goes out for 5-6 hours they will give me a credit for 1 day worth of internet :) i've been getting my credits from them for long time since they charge so much i'll take advantage of everything! if my internet ever gets slow for some reason , they give me a credit for 1 week for the time it takes for the tech to resolve the issue, I've received free months of service just due to being angry with them for taken too long to resolve situations with my Cable TV / Internet / Phone. I personally love the support, no other company is as kind as them when it comes to compensation me for when my service has downtime. You just need to know how to complain properly to get your account credited.

Gotta give 'em props. As much as I think they're the devil in the big picture, they did a good thing here.

I had a nightmare install, I had 4 installers out due to being in an area that had been bought by Comcast. I told them I wanted to be compensated since the first 3 installers could literally do nothing, and instead of being compensated with money I asked them to replace my old SB5100 modem with a brand new Docsis 3.0 modem for free with no lease. They bent to my wishes, and I am an internet only customer.

They have been running a COMMERCIAL (that they pay for) just to tell people they will pay you $$$ if they do not show up in time.

A commercial.... just to say that, that's it. Kind of desperate? Maybe they should just LOWER THEIR PRICES with that money? wow

He's probably not working the Fryolator.

Business analysts in the Texas Medical Center have a range of $75,000 - $100,000 + healthcare + vacation. I'm currently getting 5 weeks off/year (vac & sick time come from the same pool so if you're one of those "I'm sick" on Monday types then you're eating your vacation) and have 11+ years experience.

apparently you've never lived in NYC, that's a basic salary out there, that's like the $18 I make around Atlanta.

It's a business line, you are paying for a service, you don't need anything, I have a business line to my home, and there is no reason to lie or make up things. That would be like telling someone you run a business so you could buy a server rather than a desktop, they don't care.

The real question is... why the hell would he take the time off in the first place? I'd have stopped this right then and there and said "Look, you will send someone out at a time that works for ME, or I'm done." It has worked every time I've had to do it.

Having worked in customer service myself, the trick to dealing with ANY customer service issue is to push push push. Almost every company has someone up the cubicle food chain that can get things done. They just offer a great deal of resistance so that timid customers will be scared off.

I live in Texas so the 22+ I make an hour goes a long way :) I work hourly too so the pay can go up and down depends on the hours we work anywhere from 50+ hours a week to 70+ so at pay time it all works out pretty well.

:D gotta love texas!

lolwat. A lot of people make $25 an hour.

Being cool, calm, and collected sometimes pays dividends. Good for that guy. :)

Back