Ultimate Battlefield 3 Simulator?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Something tells me this video of a Battlefield 3 game simulator is just a clever way to get people to watch The Gadget Show next week but I'll post it anyway. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in. *Warning* Dude in the video is quite possibly the most annoying person you'll ever have to listen to.

There is a million things wrong with this kind of "Ultimate" simulator that we've all went over ten thousand times in the past:

Roller system on the floor doesn't work in real life (like walking on rollers, try jumping, moving fast, stopping hard etc. etc. on rollers without a safety harness)
Not really 360 degree view
Shooting while actually moving requires real world skills
That much movement requires athletic abilities the average gamer does not possess (also likely to kill them)

....so on and so forth.

One thing missing...

That .50Cal from previous video in the this simulator...

It would get the annoying dude to STFU.

There is a million things wrong with this kind of "Ultimate" simulator that we've all went over ten thousand times in the past:

Roller system on the floor doesn't work in real life (like walking on rollers, try jumping, moving fast, stopping hard etc. etc. on rollers without a safety harness)
Not really 360 degree view
Shooting while actually moving requires real world skills
That much movement requires athletic abilities the average gamer does not possess (also likely to kill them)

....so on and so forth.

And despite all of that, would still be fucking awesome to play. :p Seriously, I'd love to get a workout and game at the same time.

And despite all of that, would still be fucking awesome to play. :p Seriously, I'd love to get a workout and game at the same time.

Yeah what the hell is wrong with that? I'd be like paintball. Actually that makes me realize i should play paintball more than anything.

I have an idea that would be revolutionary and doable. The foundation of the design would be based around a gyroscope; you would be suspended inside this by arms that reach out and attach to parts of your body (joints, ligaments, vertices, etcetera). In addition, there would be 4 Kinect-like devices to capture extremely accurate and precise movements and modeling of your body, and as part of the suit to which arms of the gyroscope attach you would wear a helmet with a built-in OLED in the visor (which is also not see-through -- the visor is fully opaque), built-in microphone, and built-in headphones.

The arms would also have mechanics so that they could move and manipulate your body. Of course, there would have to be some safety mechanisms put into place so as not to cause serious injury (such as forcing you to do splits or bend your elbow backwards).

Just image playing a game like Counter-Strike or Battlefield 3 where there are no animations in models; YOU are the animator, and YOU animate real-time. What you do with your body in the real world is what happens in-game with your character. Imagine sneaking up behind someone, placing your weapon down, and tackling a crouching enemy soldier from behind and having a wrestling fist-fight on the ground with your opponent. Your physical strength would could too, so as you wrestle whomever on the ground (in-game), you feel their strength against yours.

Imagine walking up to a wall in-game and placing your hands on the wall. In real life it would appear as though you are placing your hands on invisible walls -- like a mime! The arms would prevent you from moving your hands "through the wall".

Imagine a skydiving simulator, sports simulator (compared to today's joystick/controller/keyboard/mouse-based games), wrestling/boxing simulator, swimming simulator, space simulator.. the thoughts are amazing!

You would no longer be sitting at a desk staring into a monitor using a mouse and keyboard moving only your fingers, hands, and minimally your arms. Your entire body would be moving, the OLED display in your visors would bring you closer psychologically, it would be one great leap from today's way of gaming and computer usage toward deeper and greater immersion. You could learn to do things, have your muscle memory adapt to movements, learn things truly as though they were real, and then go out and apply it!

It would also be kind of interesting and hilarious to watch someone using this device who is playing a FPS. It would be like using a model viewer to view game models and browse through all the different static animations (except without the static part).

I have an idea that would be revolutionary and doable. The foundation of the design would be based around a gyroscope; you would be suspended inside this by arms that reach out and attach to parts of your body (joints, ligaments, vertices, etcetera). In addition, there would be 4 Kinect-like devices to capture extremely accurate and precise movements and modeling of your body, and as part of the suit to which arms of the gyroscope attach you would wear a helmet with a built-in OLED in the visor (which is also not see-through -- the visor is fully opaque), built-in microphone, and built-in headphones.

The arms would also have mechanics so that they could move and manipulate your body. Of course, there would have to be some safety mechanisms put into place so as not to cause serious injury (such as forcing you to do splits or bend your elbow backwards).

Just image playing a game like Counter-Strike or Battlefield 3 where there are no animations in models; YOU are the animator, and YOU animate real-time. What you do with your body in the real world is what happens in-game with your character. Imagine sneaking up behind someone, placing your weapon down, and tackling a crouching enemy soldier from behind and having a wrestling fist-fight on the ground with your opponent. Your physical strength would could too, so as you wrestle whomever on the ground (in-game), you feel their strength against yours.

Imagine walking up to a wall in-game and placing your hands on the wall. In real life it would appear as though you are placing your hands on invisible walls -- like a mime! The arms would prevent you from moving your hands "through the wall".

Imagine a skydiving simulator, sports simulator (compared to today's joystick/controller/keyboard/mouse-based games), wrestling/boxing simulator, swimming simulator, space simulator.. the thoughts are amazing!

You would no longer be sitting at a desk staring into a monitor using a mouse and keyboard moving only your fingers, hands, and minimally your arms. Your entire body would be moving, the OLED display in your visors would bring you closer psychologically, it would be one great leap from today's way of gaming and computer usage toward deeper and greater immersion. You could learn to do things, have your muscle memory adapt to movements, learn things truly as though they were real, and then go out and apply it!

Great, then viruses would rip apart your entire body via the robotic arms instead of just giving you a BSOD.

They need to rig that setup to something that remotely resembles a rifle. Seriously, a stockless "gun" for the control mechanism? Talk about pretty much aiming everything like a pistol with a vertical fore grip (which would be inaccurate and uncomfortable).

Why not just play paintball if they are using paintballs to simulate getting hit anyways.

Call me crazy, but, shouldn't the "ultimate" BF3 simulator be a 360 degree screen so you can literately turn your head and almost look behind you? I was disappointed to see only 120-150 degrees or so of vision filled on the front-side. A 5x1 setup would have been nicer than the seeming 3x1 they used.

I wonder if they could have partnered with ATI though and used some of the 'test' 7xxx silicon to do this properly and support perhaps like 12x1 for full 360 degree. You'd need a huge frame-buffer but who knows. Maybe the 7 series at the top top end will reach 4GB.

Yeah what the hell is wrong with that? I'd be like paintball. Actually that makes me realize i should play paintball more than anything.

The code for paintball is really efficient too. It's photorealistic and still runs well for everyone! :p

naa... fat people always play better... they are the public this wouldn't be nice to then...

Call me crazy, but, shouldn't the "ultimate" BF3 simulator be a 360 degree screen so you can literately turn your head and almost look behind you? I was disappointed to see only 120-150 degrees or so of vision filled on the front-side. A 5x1 setup would have been nicer than the seeming 3x1 they used.

With the way that they have the simulator setup, with a 360 degree there would be paintball splatter all over the screens ruining the immersion that they're trying to do with the simulator. Maybe make some sort of suit that would give the user a jolt of electricity if and where they get shot?

I wouldn't mind giving it a try, just don't think it would be a good idea since I'm 6' 4" and would probably sprint over the tracks or face plant on them in the middle of a fire fight :D

As much as this may seem cool...Id rather play my games on a 120hz monitor. Maybe 3d monitor but thats it.

Lawnmower Man

Haha, that's funny as hell getting shot by paintballs to simulate actually getting shot. I know I wouldn't want to roll around on rollers and get shot point blank by someone or something that's who knows how close they are. Paintballs are 68 cal and flying at 300 fps (feet nor frames) and they also sting a good amount if you're shot in close range. I'd rather be out and about playing actual paintball then getting shot by something like this.

I think the old VR masks are more practical then this if you want to play more realistically.

All I could think of when I first heard that voice was that it was the British equivelent of the "want to catch a ride" voice drop in Borderlands. Only not funny.

Take that simulator, take out the rollers, put a chair in the middle. Projec the circular shape of a Star Trek bridge on the wall, then run a custom Star trek game where you are sitting in the middle as Captain. Thats the proper use of said simulator....

Back