Corsair Professional Series AX850 Modular Supply 80 plus gold - $150.99 AR

pboy207

Weaksauce
Update: Now 15% off with code EMCJJKG23 makes price $141.50!!

Newegg is having a 10% off all Corsair PSU's with code CorsairPSU1

Currently, Newegg has CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $169.99 after $20 Rebate. Apply the 10% code to take of an additional $19. Making it 150.99 AR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139015&Tpk=ax850

189.99 - $19 (10% off CorsairPSU1) - $20(MIR) = 150.99 AR

This is around the lowest it gets, sometimes a couple of dollars less. Excellent PSU with great reviews. I believe these are made by Seasonic. Picked this up for myself, so I thought I share.

Other Corsair PSU's of note:

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 - $231.99 AR

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX650 650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPSV12 v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD - 123.99 AR

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE - $60.49 AR

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified - $20.49 AR

Last edited:
Hmm, this or a 1000W Coolermaster for a 560ti SLI setup (2600k @ 4.8/3 hd's + 8 fans). That's $30 more for 150w (link). I'd like to use this upgraded power supply for the next generation of cards in an SLI setup, am I selling myself short going with 850w?

Edit: After reading some reports of cap whine on the 850's and not being able to find a single such report about the 1000w CoolerMaster I went with the latter. I am extremely sensitive to high pitched noise and the very possibility of having to deal with this is enough to warrant the extra $30!

Last edited:
Hmm, this or a 1000W Coolermaster for a 560ti SLI setup (2600k @ 4.8/3 hd's + 8 fans). That's $30 more for 150w (link). I'd like to use this upgraded power supply for the next generation of cards in an SLI setup, am I selling myself short going with 850w?

Edit: After reading some reports of cap whine on the 850's and not being able to find a single such report about the 1000w CoolerMaster I went with the latter. I am extremely sensitive to high pitched noise and the very possibility of having to deal with this is enough to warrant the extra $30!

This is not even a question for me. I'd take a AX850 over a Coolermaster 1000 any day. PSU is one thing I will not skimp in a system. Top brands are Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic. Don't get anything else.

Nice deal BTW. I'd consider this if I didn't already by a Enermax Revolution 1050W.

Was totally eyeing an ax850 as an upgrade for future xfire 7000 series cards, but I'm thinking I'll pick up the tx850 or tx850M after reading the article about 80plus certification on [H]ocp and the fact that I <3 $35.

This is not even a question for me. I'd take a AX850 over a Coolermaster 1000 any day. PSU is one thing I will not skimp in a system. Top brands are Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic. Don't get anything else.

Nice deal BTW. I'd consider this if I didn't already by a Enermax Revolution 1050W.

I haven't seen a single bad review of the Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Gold so far (aside from a couple of the usual DOA's that every single product in existence has), been looking around all afternoon. That cap whine issue really screwed the pooch for me with the 850, otherwise I would have been all over it :(

I haven't seen a single bad review of the Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000w Gold so far (aside from a couple of the usual DOA's that every single product in existence has), been looking around all afternoon. That cap whine issue really screwed the pooch for me with the 850, otherwise I would have been all over it :(

FWIW i get no cap whine on my AX850. that's not to say that your CM Silent Pro 1000 isn't a good PSU.

10% code doesn't seem to work on the hx850...

Your are correct. It seems the discount excludes the HX series. I could have sworn the email said 10% off all corsair PSU's. I just re-read the email and it says select Corsair PSU's, but it seems the only ones excluded are the HX series. Updated OP.

Last edited:

Never said the Coolermaster was bad, just that the AX850 is better. :cool:

Anyways, good luck with the PSU and hopefully it won't whine.

Never said the Coolermaster was bad, just that the AX850 is better. :cool:

Anyways, good luck with the PSU and hopefully it won't whine.

Luck hath failed me. The AX850 whines, hard. My el cheapo OCZ 700 modxstream was silent :( Hopefully they'll do an RMA without the cables, I am not going through the process of re-cabling everything again.

The real question for me is which company makes an RMA proceedure less painful. PSUs die almost as quick as old hard drives. When they go I don't want any BS.

I build a lot of systems and I've had a PSU die on me exactly once. That was 10+ years ago in some pentium 133mx system. Dumb luck? I've also had maybe 2 hard drives die on me in the last decade, out of a good 100+ that i've purchased in that time.

The real question for me is which company makes an RMA proceedure less painful. PSUs die almost as quick as old hard drives.
You must have some crappy luck! :)

I'm sure you can find people bitching about every companys RMAs but Corsair has both great products and RMA service to match.

I must have. Three PSU's of mine died within 7 years. All OCZ though and 3 year warranties.

Couldn't take the noise anymore. Replaced the AX850 with the Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w and I can't hear anything but the system fans. Even with my ear on the PSU case, nada. I'll give the RMA process a shot but if I can't get a quiet one I guess I'll have to live with the less-than-modular and slightly worse ripple Coolermaster :( The Corsair sure is easier to work with though, not to mention looks a hell of a lot better.

Luck hath failed me. The AX850 whines, hard. My el cheapo OCZ 700 modxstream was silent :( Hopefully they'll do an RMA without the cables, I am not going through the process of re-cabling everything again.

Did you RMA with newegg or corsair?

So far only submitted the RMA request to Corsair, I've heard people have good luck with getting them to cross ship.

I RMA'd mine through newegg. I'm hoping I can get one BNIB without whine. I'm determined to not RMA through corsair and get a refurb model after buying the PSU new.

Didn't realize they send refurbs back. I have free return shipping through shoprunner, I'll give newegg a call on monday and see if they'll cross ship the RMA for me.

Does cross ship mean they send you product before you send them product? Because I'm pretty positive newegg won't do that. I went through the trouble in reinstalling my old PSU. My rig is quite a mess right now with no side panels and a slew of cables hanging out the side. :eek:

I'm too anal to allow such a thing, I actually routed everything properly again with the Coolermaster :eek:

Newegg might do it with a temporary charge on my CC, which I don't mind if they just refund it once they get the old one back.

Ahhh, I kind of want to get one, my HX620 isn't really enough any more. Plus, I'm rebuilding this winter... DECISIONS! I'm hoping to get an xfire or SLI set up on my new rig... I guess I could always sell my HX620...

Mine isn't whining, but I ordered the day before the rebate.

Not sure if I got lucky or they just added the discount to get rid of the ones that did whine. Or maybe it's my tinfoil hat that's interfering and masking it.

My AX850 has no coil whine at all.

Glad to hear it, hopefully my next one doesn't either. My comment was inspired by the sheer amount of reports of coil whine you can find online across various forums, mine included. Fingers crossed for this next one :)

Nothing but good words for Corsair. Recommended a Corsair 650W for a friends build. 6 months later power supply went bad. Corsair RMA'd with a BRAND NEW power supply. No hassle. Much respect...

My first ax850 whined and I rma'd it, Corsair was good to work with and sent me a brand new one in the box without me lifting a finger, I put the old one in the box and shipped it out(my dime)to them.

They let me keep my old cables AND the new set of cables which was nice, I just sent the unit back by itself.

They're great PSU's but the whine is definitely a pain in the ass.

Bumpity bump bump.. Deal is back! Even lower!!!! use code EMCJJKG23 to take 15% off.

$189.99 - $28.50 (15% off) - $20(rebate) = $141.49AR

Also note the AX650 is 115.99AR! This is pretty new, so not sure if there are any reviews for it. There are other deals as all their Corsair PSU's are 15% off. I believe the deal ends today so act fast.

Back