Woman Sues Facebook For Violating Wiretap Laws?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait a minute, isn't Facebook built on a foundation of trespassing, invasion of privacy and unjust enrichment? Seriously, what would you have if you took away those things? :eek:

Accusing Facebook of violating federal wiretap laws by tracking her web use when she wasn't logged in to the site, a Mississippi woman is taking the social networking giant to court. Her suit, which seeks class action status, is going after Facebook for trespassing, invasion of privacy, unjust enrichment and breach of contract.

It was coming sooner or later. Facebook should have known better.

Face Book user:

I'm moving my left foot, I'm moving my right foot. Oh, and by the way we are going on vacation next week, two weeks in Hawaii, can't wait.

Two weeks later: AHHH, our house has been ripped off. Why me!!

What a bunch of loosers. If you want privacy don't sign up for Face Book dipstick.

Not to mention that every law enforcement agency in the world uses and monitors Face Book. The Feds love it.

Silly woman, laws are only for the little peons, not for corporations and government.

Normally I'd be against most class action lawsuits, but in this case I'd make an exception. :)

The complaint says Facebook violates a portion of its own privacy policy that says logged-out users who visit sites with Facebook-connected plugins send limited info to Facebook.

Cool, glad I don't link anything with Facebook account, as well as block all those stupid plug-ins and "Thumbs Up" buttons using a combination of Adblock Plus and Userscripts.

Sounds to me like the onus is on the sites who logs you in, or the users who check boxes that automatically logs you into Facebook or that site. Not Facebook themselves.

first of all how does she knows this? I log to facebook everyday and I dont even know of any tracking info from facebook, its not showing this info, so how the heck did she find out??

Tracking is getting a bit crazy these days. So not surprised something like this is happening.

Since the government seems to be allowing this, I suspect FB will just follow Sony and EA's footsteps and just disallow lawsuits in their EULA.

I should clarify: if you sign into youtube and leave the box checked to keep you signed in and don't sign out of youtube then google will track your searches in google by using your youtube sign in ID. That's why I use IXquick for searches and never use Facebook either.

I really, really hope she wins. That would great.

If this lady needs help, I would gladly donate $5 bucks for her lawyer costs.

What would be awesome is a Class Action, where everyone who owns an account gets paid for having their privacy invaded.... I would sign that in a second. Until then, FB can suck my ass and eat my noscript

To me this just seems like a case of non-technical people getting freaked out by something that sounds scarey but is actually pretty normal. They are worried about facebook cookies storing information even after you log out? Dang near every website you visit stores information on you, even if you never login.

I guess the real concern is if Facebook is actually collecting and storing that information. And they are saying no. Sounds like they use those cookies for some sort of security and probably convenience to the end user.

The hacker blogger highlighted the concern about these cookies on public computers. But of course there is always a concern about authenticating to anything on a public computer. I'd be more scared of keyloggers and malware on the public computer than my left over Facebook cookies (though I'd clear my cookies).

Am I missing something? Just seems fairly routine stuff here. Just put "Facebook" and "privacy" in the same sentence and people get into a hysteria. :)

Silly woman, laws are only for the little peons, not for corporations and government.

remember mitt romney said corporations are people too!

Face Book user:

I'm moving my left foot, I'm moving my right foot. Oh, and by the way we are going on vacation next week, two weeks in Hawaii, can't wait.

Two weeks later: AHHH, our house has been ripped off. Why me!!

What a bunch of loosers. If you want privacy don't sign up for Face Book dipstick.

Not to mention that every law enforcement agency in the world uses and monitors Face Book. The Feds love it.

that's not really the reason she's suing, she's not suing because of something she posted, she's suing because they are tracking her behaviour

Couldn't this same argument be used against every website ever?

yeah...especially google

To me this just seems like a case of non-technical people getting freaked out by something that sounds scarey but is actually pretty normal. They are worried about facebook cookies storing information even after you log out? Dang near every website you visit stores information on you, even if you never login.

I guess the real concern is if Facebook is actually collecting and storing that information. And they are saying no. Sounds like they use those cookies for some sort of security and probably convenience to the end user.

The hacker blogger highlighted the concern about these cookies on public computers. But of course there is always a concern about authenticating to anything on a public computer. I'd be more scared of keyloggers and malware on the public computer than my left over Facebook cookies (though I'd clear my cookies).

Am I missing something? Just seems fairly routine stuff here. Just put "Facebook" and "privacy" in the same sentence and people get into a hysteria. :)

Yes, you ARE missing something. But you're kind of right... except this is FB here, so you have to be extra special about it and read between the lines.

See... If you are using a basic (un-blockified) browser like IE or anything without addons, then this should be a concern to you. If you use noscript (which blocks this tactic FB uses to track people OUTSIDE THEIR SITE) than you can see that FB . com website is used on MANY OTHER websites all across the web, in the form of a "3rd party" website extension/plugin for their "Likes" and what not.

Even if you don't use FB, but are logged in and browsing the web, you can still be tracked OUTSIDE OF FACEBOOK. Thisssssss is what is concerning and out of line. They are keeping track of every site you visit with FB attached to it, even sites that ARE NOT FACEBOOK, or owned by facebook AT ALL. Fishy? 100% yes......

Like I go to ESPN.com, and I don't want FB to know (or care, or keep track) that I went to ESPN all because ESPN has the FB "like" plugin on their page...... get it now? Its plain fucked up for FB to do, and the main reasons I wont use their shit... and no, not many other "big name" sites do this OUTSIDE of their website..... They might track your clicks on google/youtube, but unless you watch a youtube video (by clicking play yourself and enabling the download) on another 3rd party website, google will not know, care, or sell the info of where you are traveling at what times. FB has done fishy shit like this since day 1, and they are getting worse, and worse with their privacy policy.

And FB on the other hand, it will instantly "track" you no matter what, because the majority of 3rd-party websites' FB "like" plugins loads INSTANTLY on all the sites -- way before you have a chance of NOT being tracked!

If you use noscript, you will definitely notice there is a huge sleuth of sites which can track where you go (like google analytics, faycebook, amazon runs TONS of websites now on their backbone/servers... and a big one, akamai also runs a lot of servers for a bunch of sites) ---- anyways, my point is to use noscript if you want to stop a lot of this tracking on what sites you visit.

The wire tapping law is so completely misused and abused because of it's vagueness.
This is the law that police departments use to go after people who video tape the police doing something.

Back