Ice Cream Sandwich Statue Joins Android Pals on Google Campus

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) has joined its Android cousins on the front lawn of the Google campus in Mountain View. In a somewhat unceremonious debut, the installers placed the statue in its position prior to the official announcement which was postponed in respect to the passing of Steve Jobs last week. Ice Cream Sandwich, anyone? :D

They better be announcing the Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus/Splooge Maximus on tuesday!

I hope they push 4.0 updates to older and recently released phones.

I cant wait till they finally pick an OS and stick with it..
This like 10 version spread is driving me nuts..

That was kind of the point of Ice Cream Sandwich: merging Honeycomb and Gingerbread back from the separate builds for tablets and phones.

With all the food names that they're using and now this, I'm wondering if we're going to see a bunch of morbidly obese people on scooters on Google's campus.

This crap does not hold a candle to iOS5. But one day, it will be a force to rekon with.

Good lock to all you androids out there, I'm sure most of you will still be forced to run with 2.2 in a years time. lol

Time to open this system up, so that folks can upgrade their own hardware.

Lol. Some phones have decent community dev support, some don't :( Oh, well. It seems the Atrix is barely gonna scooter by :D

Keep on wishing :p.

For whatever reason it takes FOREVER to get updates if it even happens. I have a Thunderbolt, so a fairly new phone. Ships with 2.2.1. They've been working on a 2.3 release for it. This isn't speculation or hope, there have been leaks of it and you can get it. Various mods have been based off of it. However, there has been no release of it, no indicated date of release, and basically no movement on it at all.

Of course in that time, 4.0 is extremely near release (3.0 was tablet only so 4.0 is basically just 1 version after 2.3).

I wouldn't think new software would be hard for the phones, but for whatever reason it is. Takes the handset makers a fucking geologic era to get new software out, if they bother at all.

This crap does not hold a candle to iOS5. But one day, it will be a force to rekon with.

Good lock to all you androids out there, I'm sure most of you will still be forced to run with 2.2 in a years time. lol

Time to open this system up, so that folks can upgrade their own hardware.

To each there own, and isn't that a contradiction, about opening the system up, since your praising iOS5?

Damn sight easier to root an Android, and use an image with the latest version, than an Apple product.

Keep on wishing :p.

For whatever reason it takes FOREVER to get updates if it even happens. I have a Thunderbolt, so a fairly new phone. Ships with 2.2.1. They've been working on a 2.3 release for it. This isn't speculation or hope, there have been leaks of it and you can get it. Various mods have been based off of it. However, there has been no release of it, no indicated date of release, and basically no movement on it at all.

Of course in that time, 4.0 is extremely near release (3.0 was tablet only so 4.0 is basically just 1 version after 2.3).

I wouldn't think new software would be hard for the phones, but for whatever reason it is. Takes the handset makers a fucking geologic era to get new software out, if they bother at all.

Do u ever check the software update on your phone? 2.3 was out a while ago for the bolt

To each there own, and isn't that a contradiction, about opening the system up, since your praising iOS5?

Damn sight easier to root an Android, and use an image with the latest version, than an Apple product.

Easier how? Just go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone/iPad and hit the big red "Jailbreak Me" button. No rocket science degree needed.

Wait, doesnt iOS 5 pretty much just add stuff that android has had implemented for many generations? Im not really seeing anything revolutionary except for siri which I would personally never use.
iMessage? Please, its 2011 - who the hell doesn't have included unlimited text messages (I guess ATT users).

And root >>>>>>> jailbreak all days of the week - dont even joke:rolleyes:

Easier how? Just go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone/iPad and hit the big red "Jailbreak Me" button. No rocket science degree needed.
Stop with the Apple dick sucking seriously. My first time installing Android and rooting it on the HP Touchpad was the easiest thing ever. How often do you update and jailbreak your crApple product? Have fun with all type of errors trying to do a restore and bricking it at the same time. Stop talking crap when you know nothing.

Stop with the Apple dick sucking seriously. My first time installing Android and rooting it on the HP Touchpad was the easiest thing ever. How often do you update and jailbreak your crApple product? Have fun with all type of errors trying to do a restore and bricking it at the same time. Stop talking crap when you know nothing.

if you dislike my posts or replies so much, put me on ignore. Honestly your stalkerish attitude is creeping me the fuck out. You're reported, again.

Wait, doesnt iOS 5 pretty much just add stuff that android has had implemented for many generations? Im not really seeing anything revolutionary except for siri which I would personally never use.
iMessage? Please, its 2011 - who the hell doesn't have included unlimited text messages (I guess ATT users).

Really. Some of people have never try Android before just talking ignorant out of their ass. I'm totally impress the first time I use it and try it. I couldn't believe how easier it was using a free video player that can play all type of formats on the Android. I have to go through a whole bunch of video players on iOS before it even play a MKV file properly and it's a paid program.

if you dislike my posts or replies so much, put me on ignore. Honestly your stalkerish attitude is creeping me the fuck out. You're reported, again.

Seriously, why are you being so defensive about Apple? I just told you the truth and you go crying reporting me for what? What a joke. No defensive arguement to back up what I said?

Every iOS device gets iOS updates, unless for some reason there's a backwards compatibility issue which I'm not sure they've ran into yet. All iOS devices should be able to run iOS5 via an upgrade.

With Android, some devices won't run x version, some devices are still stuck on something like 2.1 because of either a) carriers or b) handset manufacturers focusing on the "gold" hardware. Android is far to segregated yes.

It's a lot more open then the walled garden approach Apple and MS are taking with their respective OS's but it's far from the "OpenSource" you see with something like a Linux server/desktop distro.

Once you take custom ROM's into account all of this changes but I still feel Android feels like a rushed, unfinished product in comparison to iOS.

Seriously, why are you being so defensive about Apple? I just told you the truth and you go crying reporting me for what? What a joke. No defensive arguement to back up what I said?

Re-read what I told the guy. He said it's hard to jailbreak an iPhone. If you think hitting a "Jailbreak me" button is hard, then there's no convincing you. I never went into details about jailbreaking. You threw all kinds of words and thoughts into my mouth because, for some reason, you don't like me.

I don't know what I did to you in your previous life, but get over it.

Funny how you go on a rage about my iPhone use while in the same fucking breath you tell someone else (the next post, even) about YOUR iPhone experience. Perhaps I should throw all sorts of vitriol your way for using iOS, or are you just that hypocritical?

Two words: back off.

Re-read what I told the guy. He said it's hard to jailbreak an iPhone. If you think hitting a "Jailbreak me" button is hard, then there's no convincing you. I never went into details about jailbreaking. You threw all kinds of words and thoughts into my mouth because, for some reason, you don't like me.

I don't know what I did to you in your previous life, but get over it.

Funny how you go on a rage about my iPhone use while in the same fucking breath you tell someone else (the next post, even) about YOUR iPhone experience. Perhaps I should throw all sorts of vitriol your way for using iOS, or are you just that hypocritical?

Two words: back off.

Hypocrite? LOL. Look who's talking. You seems to attack anyone who have anything to say against Apple. The thing I don't like are fanboys who are being protective.

Hypocrite? LOL. Look who's talking. You seems to attack anyone who have anything to say against Apple. The thing I don't like are fanboys who are being protective.

Saying "jailbreaking isn't that difficult. It's as easy as going to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone/iPad and hitting the "Jailbreak Me" button" constitute as attacking? :rolleyes:

Saying "jailbreaking isn't that difficult. It's as easy as going to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone/iPad and hitting the "Jailbreak Me" button" constitute as attacking? :rolleyes:

It's your way of being a smartass with that respond and I know your true intention of being defensive with that respond. It's a well document how pain in the ass upgrading and jailbreaking an Apple products. I have done it so many times and the headache that it causes because of they lock down.

This is how I see your posts on every Apple respond.
apple-iphone-4-you-are-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Always thinking Apple does no wrong and blaming the people that they either stupid or or not doing whatever right so it's not Apple fault.

Ok you two..jfc..It is easy to Jailbreak and iPhone and it is easy to Root an Android phone. Both will have exceptions to that rule as some phones just have shit that goes wrong. On the average both are easy..Now if you want to debate rooting vs jail breaking and which phone is more functional after, feel free. Though that isn't really much of a debate at all.

Now drop it.

Back on topic.

Google creates some of the most entertaining things to put on their lawn. I don't care who you are, that is awesome.

They will need to keep increasing their lawn space like MB in GMail.

Exactly... but you must have missed the boat... siri is also copied from android.

Look at the vLingo app (free for 1+ year now, too! LOL, we get it free with free phones, and they are paying $199+ for it!) -- also, if you have an old iphone4 or older, its on there too! So a 4S is completely old tech and nothing new! ROFL! Only the sheeple appleheads think they are getting something new, as usual :D

The S in 4S is truly for Suckers! :)

That was kind of the point of Ice Cream Sandwich: merging Honeycomb and Gingerbread back from the separate builds for tablets and phones.

Exactly! This new update fixes all the issues (the very, very small issues that came up with the version of android recently)

Android's #1, no doubt I can see why

sweet:

"In addition to running uniformly on all mobile devices, Ice Cream Sandwich provides a much friendlier user interface. In addition, it is speculated that the new version will allow external devices such as mice, keyboards, and game controllers to be hooked to mobile devices."

source

also, don't feed the apple trolls. what are they doing in an android thread anyways?

To weakly, and impossibly try to negate their buyers remorse and position at being not #1?

Android tablets are going to now become better AND cheaper than Apples supply of tablets. They need to release an ipad3 soon that is much faster, and hell of a lot cheaper.... or else? I expect the new one will be faster, but twice the cost of an identical android tablet.

And their apple phones just don't cut it anymore... The 4 was meh-not-bad compared to the tech in the 3G, and the 4S is just completely weak and "meh" quality to many people, even a lot of appleheads that are finally getting the entire picture.... the 4S might have fair sales (sheeple buyers) but it will fail in the "expected sales" department in the long run, watch.

Even more sign that apple is going to crash soon, me thinks

To weakly, and impossibly try to negate their buyers remorse and position at being not #1?

Android tablets are going to now become better AND cheaper than Apples supply of tablets. They need to release an ipad3 soon that is much faster, and hell of a lot cheaper.... or else? I expect the new one will be faster, but twice the cost of an identical android tablet.

And their apple phones just don't cut it anymore... The 4 was meh-not-bad compared to the tech in the 3G, and the 4S is just completely weak and "meh" quality to many people, even a lot of appleheads that are finally getting the entire picture.... the 4S might have fair sales (sheeple buyers) but it will fail in the "expected sales" department in the long run, watch.

Even more sign that apple is going to crash soon, me thinks
They are not going to crash anytime soon. They just have too much money for that. Everyone is copying everyone else at the moment and if they have the money they will have the resources. Their market share will just be smaller. If a company that come up with something new they might jump ahead of the game but nowadays others with the money and resources will easily copy them and will even out the field. Exactly what is happening now.

Exactly... but you must have missed the boat... siri is also copied from android.

Look at the vLingo app (free for 1+ year now, too! LOL, we get it free with free phones, and they are paying $199+ for it!) -- also, if you have an old iphone4 or older, its on there too! So a 4S is completely old tech and nothing new! ROFL! Only the sheeple appleheads think they are getting something new, as usual :D

The S in 4S is truly for Suckers! :)

Running the danger of being shouted down again, Vlingo is a third party app made for all smartphones, including Blackberries and iPhones. Not sure why you're saying anyone copied Android.

I cant wait till they finally pick an OS and stick with it..
This like 10 version spread is driving me nuts..

Uh, what? You're upset that they continue to update and improve Android?

Some people just insist on being upset with the world, I guess.

Seeing as you haven't used ICS, probably haven't used Honeycomb, and it's kind of doubtful you even used Gingerbread, you really aren't in any position to make that claim - at all.

Every iOS device gets iOS updates, unless for some reason there's a backwards compatibility issue which I'm not sure they've ran into yet. All iOS devices should be able to run iOS5 via an upgrade.

No they don't. Old iOS devices have already been left behind, and some devices just wish they'd been left behind. Go ask iPhone 3G owners how much they like iOS 4 (hint, they hate it because it totally ruined the device) - and they aren't getting iOS 5. Apple certainly supports its older hardware much better than most Android OEMs, but they do stop supporting their devices after a point.

It's a lot more open then the walled garden approach Apple and MS are taking with their respective OS's but it's far from the "OpenSource" you see with something like a Linux server/desktop distro.

Unlike desktop Linux it is also successful ;)

Once you take custom ROM's into account all of this changes but I still feel Android feels like a rushed, unfinished product in comparison to iOS.

If you want cutting edge, Android has it. If you want older tech polished, iOS has it. Choice ftw!

There's really nothing revolutionary about Siri. It was already available previously as a standalone app not made by Apple. Android already has voice actions, and Siri isn't really much of a step passed what Android has. Siri does more with natural language than Android, but Android's voice recognition is better and has a better user experience for some pretty basic stuff. Want to find nearby restaurants? Android actually does it better. On the other hand, if you just have a simple question Siri's experience is cleaner, although both usually get the answer. Siri also does a bit more and doesn't require as rigid of a structure for the commands. There's a good head to head here: http://searchengineland.com/head-to-head-siri-vs-google-voice-actions-96998

But like the rest of iOS5, it's just an incremental update to either catch up or slightly pass the competition. Nothing revolutionary at all about any of it. Voice commands are also pretty stupid except for the super important one that Siri doesn't support - "navigate to". Only voice command I regularly use, and iOS doesn't support it.

Then the carriers and will crap up Icecream Sandwich with all kinds of bloat or GUI changes that aren't needed anymore. There was a place for things like HTC Sense a few years back. Now just keep it vanilla please!

But like the rest of iOS5, it's just an incremental update to either catch up or slightly pass the competition. Nothing revolutionary at all about any of it. Voice commands are also pretty stupid except for the super important one that Siri doesn't support - "navigate to". Only voice command I regularly use, and iOS doesn't support it.

I just said "Navigate to Virginia Beach" and it loaded up the directions just fine.

I just said "Navigate to Virginia Beach" and it loaded up the directions just fine.

Just used Navigate to...all night it seemed like in a city scavenger hunt and it also worked just fine. But the irony of it all...

Seeing as you haven't used ICS, probably haven't used Honeycomb, and it's kind of doubtful you even used Gingerbread, you really aren't in any position to make that claim - at all.

Have you used Siri or the 4s yet? It doesn't sound like it so you really aren't in any position to make that claim - at all. ;)

Directions is not navigation. "navigate to" in Android actually does navigation. Turn by turn voice prompted navigation, the full shebang. Siri does not do that, which makes the major use case of using voice actions in the car a waste of time.

Have you used Siri or the 4s yet? It doesn't sound like it so you really aren't in any position to make that claim - at all. ;)

Haven't used Siri, but I do have an iOS 4 device and am extremely aware of just how garbage Apple's maps app is. So yes, I can make that claim ;)

Why is it whenever something about Android comes up, Apple fanboi's just jump in and start trolling the place and why is it whenever some about Apple comes up, Android fanboi's just jump in and start trolling the place. I don't get it Just be thankful that we have different companies with different offerings and not some monopolised company charging us a fortune because they are the only one's that can provide us phones.

And contribute some of my opinions about Apple and Android to this thread as I have one review unit 4S and my own Droid 2 and old Cliq, it's damn easier to root an Android phone and flash firmware's etc then it is to root an i"device" not to mention rooting opens up pretty much option you can do with your phone and an i"device" doesn't besides Cydia, Installous and editing your own theme by paint.

thats what the devs are for bro...no need to wait or hope...give it a few weeks and they will have it running on a ton of devices that would never get it otherwise or would get it a year later full of junk and bugs

thats what the devs are for bro...no need to wait or hope...give it a few weeks and they will have it running on a ton of devices that would never get it otherwise or would get it a year later full of junk and bugs

3.0 and 4.0 are for Tablets, phones run on the 2.x line.

Back