A Sneak Peek at Windows 8 Task Manager

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In bits and pieces, Microsoft is showing off the individual features of the next operating system. By the time the beta is finally released, we should have a pretty clear picture of what to expect. In this segment we take a look at a newly designed Task Manager .

The result is that Windows 8 won't inundate you with a long list of unfriendly-looking processes like the task managers in Vista and Windows 7.

The last thing I want is for the Task Manager to show a bunch of fluffy friendly items. virus001.exe Fluffy name "Interweb Explorer"

I'm actually liking the new Task Manager on my laptop which is testing Windows 8 Dev Preview.

It's great to know what is taking up a lot of the CPU power whenever I look at it since it gets highlighted. It also gives a more detailed yet simplified look at the different parts of your computer-- RAM to CPU to hard drive, and what's being used.

*stares at lsass.exe and its 95% CPU usage on Windows 8*

I haven't liked a single thing I've seen of W8 so far. Guess I'm sticking with Win7.

Uhhhggg. Crap like this makes me scared for what is going to be happening in 10-20 years. You know what I'm talking about.

for those complaining about simplification: you'd better be booting directly into a CLI or else you're a hypocrite. GUI is extremely dumbed down from a CLI perspective. In fact, if you're not running a one-of-a-kind custom linux distro that you wrote yourself, then you're a hypocrite.

for those complaining about simplification: you'd better be booting directly into a CLI or else you're a hypocrite. GUI is extremely dumbed down from a CLI perspective. In fact, if you're not running a one-of-a-kind custom linux distro that you wrote yourself, then you're a hypocrite.

you using the term CLI makes me miss my old amiga.

/sigh

Don't see what the complaining is about. Seems like it is what we already have, just better organized. I guess to some people alphabetizing a file drawer would be "dumbing it down".

You sir just made me shed a tear for my old pal, DOS. :(

This is probably the first feature of Win8 that I like. Nice job MS. Though I'm getting sick and tired of the "app" marketing speak. They are called programs gosh darnit!!!

I like alot about Windows 8 so far. Still waiting for them to change some of their fugly plain looking ICONS that they are still using for almost 20yrs.

Fukin' OS's...:rolleyes:

They're just moving the cheese for dolts...

Christ!

I like alot about Windows 8 so far. Still waiting for them to change some of their fugly plain looking ICONS that they are still using for almost 20yrs.

you still on xp? I think most, if not all, are new in 7/vista

Not complaining, just wondering how far it's going to go. I'd be curious how the code works with viruses and trojans too. In any case, I dislike Win 8 for other reasons :p And now I miss some things about CLI....

win98.png

This is great. Simplistic for non-powerusers, and plenty of in-depth information for [H]ard users. If iOS has one thing clear, it's that the masses don't want to be overwhelmed with information they don't need.

As I said in a previous thread people are going to bitch about Microsoft changing stuff and about them not changing stuff.

Like a few others here I like the new task manager. Don't see anything new about that "normal" view, but the more details view is much better than older versions

I think this is one of the first things from Windows 8 I like. Though, is it much different from Resource Monitor?

I like the new related application process groupings and resource use highlighting. My mom doesn't need to see that to force close itunes though.

I too like the grouping...

I hoe they allow you to group things yourself if you wished.

That way would be helpful in making sure you know what's what for you. Same with Programs, I really want to group things together.

I haven't liked a single thing I've seen of W8 so far. Guess I'm sticking with Win7.

How can anyone not like the smiley face emoticon when you get a BSOD? Don't worry, be happy, even if the sky is falling.

Don't see what the complaining is about. Seems like it is what we already have, just better organized. I guess to some people alphabetizing a file drawer would be "dumbing it down".

I agree, people who say it is dumb'n down likely haven't actually used it, in depth....i love it.

Fuck off. That's not simple. I'm switching out vacuum tubes to visit a different website and run programs.

I hear ya. The OS is supposed to be simple. It's meant to run other programs. If it were complicated, it'd be a Gentoo Linux machine with no GUI. That's why Linux is for geeks - it's NOT simple.

I love the new Task Manager, and I'm sure there will be an "Advanced" view to go with the simple and sweet view.

Just what we need..more excuses for the computer illiterate to mess with crap they have no business messing with.

Seriously MS, Stop dumbing down stuff that the average computer user has no business messing with in the first place.

Just what we need..more excuses for the computer illiterate to mess with crap they have no business messing with.

Seriously MS, Stop dumbing down stuff that the average computer user has no business messing with in the first place.

What? Are you afraid that a computer illerrate will finally know how to use a computer with Windows 8? This is not dumping down. This is making it a lot user friendly.

I know plenty about computers, but I would much rather see 'Printer driver host for applications' instead of 'splwow64.exe'

I want to spend time using my computer, not figuring stupid stuff like that out.

Anyone hate that nasty Metro skin for windows 8? Wouldn't you rather have a windows 7 interface. Well there is a way to disable metro.

Open regedit and under the following keys.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
HKEY_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

change value of RPEnabled from "1" to "0"

To make the settings stick for all users you have to navigate to c:\windows\system32 and rename shsxs.dll to something like shsxs.bak so it won't load.

the system should boot into the Win 7 interface.

I have been running full time on 8 for ~2 weeks now. Everything they have done so far will make my life easier when dealing with my family in terms of IT support. It is powerful enough where what I need is available but simple enough (the default) allows me to explain it to non-techy people.

What? Are you afraid that a computer illerrate will finally know how to use a computer with Windows 8? This is not dumping down. This is making it a lot user friendly.

Afraid? not even close. However it does make my job harder when that group starts doing crap to their computer "thinking" they can figure it out. Stupid changes like this just encourage that type of behavior. I deal with far too many people who like to delete and turn crap off just because they don't think it is useful to them. So it ends up taking me twice as long to fix machines where the end user believes they know more than they really do.

Before it is even brought up, no charging more these days isn't even an option. That is a fast track to going out of business.

Afraid? not even close. However it does make my job harder when that group starts doing crap to their computer "thinking" they can figure it out. Stupid changes like this just encourage that type of behavior. I deal with far too many people who like to delete and turn crap off just because they don't think it is useful to them. So it ends up taking me twice as long to fix machines where the end user believes they know more than they really do.

Before it is even brought up, no charging more these days isn't even an option. That is a fast track to going out of business.

Isn't that the whole point with making Windows 8 a little more user friendly? Making it a lot more easier or user friendly will keep non techie people feel the need to screw around with it.

Still no GPU usage gauge or temperature measurement? Its not really an improvement. So far windows 8 could just be a theme pack...waiting on some kind of big improvement to be announced :(

Isn't that the whole point with making Windows 8 a little more user friendly? Making it a lot more easier or user friendly will keep non techie people feel the need to screw around with it.

Except it won't. It will just make them feel empowered to do more because it "appears" to be in an understandable format.

As I said..the average user has very little business messing around with things like the task manager anyhow. There is precisely zero reason to make it more user friendly.

Back