head-fi is really hyping these 30 dollar headphones

the specs point to them being quite nice, 50mm drivers 56Ω impedance, 10hz-27khz... should play loud, get low and still hit the highs well... the sensitivity numbers are in line with some very high end head phones, but the low impedance means you wont have to have really high end equipment to drive them, if i had the extra 30-40 (shipping) right now, i would be grabbing some...

Typical head-fi flavor of the month chatter. If you have very good headphones in this price range, don't get caught up in the overhype and buy a sidegrade.

If you need new headphones, they are certainly a good,cheap option. I would get the velour pads unless you want to do a ghetto pad mod like mine lol. Those pleather pads are sweat city.

i'm a big headfi-er. i would wait to get more reviews in. headfi always gets the 'great new budget headphone' hype, and its usually a handful of posters doing it. tho for 30 bucks it might be worth a shot. typical panasonic sound is big, bassy, kind of muddy. I might bite on these sooner or later.

the true proven budget king is a jvc harx700, behind that maybe a superlux.

Thanks OP I was looking for new budget cans... However now I'm even more confused if I should get them or go for JVC RX700...... hmmm.... same price...

I did the free prime trial and used 3.99next day. I know longer have the 70s, they cord was cut but I liked them. I can say though the 700's were worth the money and then some, easily good enough to me compared to my more expensive beyerdynamic dt770's. I would order those again without hesitation

I have the rx 300s and was impressed, So I assume the 700s sounds very good, I will buy these soon.

I did cancel my order... I will wait for more reviews.... ;)

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on 2 sets. After reading a long 30 pages on head-fi last night I've decided to jump on the bandwagon. I wanted one for work and one for home to listen to music techno/dance. Some reviewers said the sound stage is not too bad on them for closed cans and bass is much/much better than on my AD700. For all I know I might be selling my AD700 in the future…

Thanks OP ;)

I just opened them up and am listening to O.A.R.'s King and it sounds very good. When I first put them on something wasn't right and I pressed in on both the cups and the sound is normal now, not sure what that is all about.

I just opened them up and am listening to O.A.R.'s King and it sounds very good. When I first put them on something wasn't right and I pressed in on both the cups and the sound is normal now, not sure what that is all about.

How would you compared them to JVC RX700s music/gaming? I guess you have to burn them for 40hrs or something... I'm bought 2 sets, but it will be a long on amazon.com... :(

thanks

I have been listening to them on and off since I got them, I really like them but I have to return them. My seem to be defective, several times when adjusting the ear pieces the sound would cut out only to work again when I pressed on it. The headphones do fit my ears better than my Beyerydynamic dt770's though, they didn't seal all the way

I have a set of these, and they're decent if you need a new set. Don't ditch your current $30 set for them unless you have a POS $30 set from Best Buy or something.

i'm a big headfi-er. i would wait to get more reviews in. headfi always gets the 'great new budget headphone' hype, and its usually a handful of posters doing it. tho for 30 bucks it might be worth a shot. typical panasonic sound is big, bassy, kind of muddy. I might bite on these sooner or later.

the true proven budget king is a jvc harx700, behind that maybe a superlux.

Another old timer head-fier here. And yes, this seems like yet another FOTM budget headphone. Head-fi is quite suspectible for those for some reason. Thats not to say they are bad, they may be very very good in their price range and maybe even above it. Some headphones have been FOTM'd for a damn good reason, like portable Koss KSC75 clip-ons, but cheap headphone is always a cheap headphone. There are no REAL "giant killers" that I am aware off.

Last edited:
I cant remember honestly, I wonder if that burn in stuff is bs or not

No one has shown a definite proof if its true or not, but I believe burn-in is real. Biggest burn-in experience I got was with Grado HF-2, treble was muffled out of the box which is odd considering this is a Grado we are talking about, albeit a very different one. But take those "requires xxx hundred hours of burn-in" with grain of salt...

I just purchased the Senn HD201

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318690967&sr=1-1

My first "name brand" pair. I usually buy whatever crap is on sale and they end up blowing out within a few months. These do the job for me nicely. Look good, sound good, light weight and comfortable. For $18 shipped probably they are a steal. They are not over the top bassy, if you like that crap

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also bought a pair of these Panasonic HTF600 and the hype is justified, it's more like a ~$150 sounding headphone than $30 (actually for me with all settings I've tweaked etc it's like even $200(+) or so worth of sound). Should always be noted that we all have our own preference how it should sound like. These Panasonics are very versataile though so I can see why so many ppl are going to like them for the price though, they have LOTS of bass but it doesn't ruin the midrange and it's suprisingly controlled for the quantity, in fact the midrange is very forward on these sets and that's what seems to be the key why the ppl who have tried em like em so much cuz music is in the mids and is the most important range if you'd make a survey no doubt. The highs are quite neutral, not too bright or too veiled, it's perhaps slightly leaning towards veiled/recessed direction but very tiny bit so. Adding velor pads will make the highs more forward. Some1 has described these as Grado with stronger bass response.

Last edited:
It's been proven many times by speaker companies in scientific studies. Dynaudio have a whitepaper on their website with graphs + figures showing the difference in frequency response after 24 hrs use and it was enough to be an audible real World difference.

I just purchased the Senn HD201

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318690967&sr=1-1

My first "name brand" pair. I usually buy whatever crap is on sale and they end up blowing out within a few months. These do the job for me nicely. Look good, sound good, light weight and comfortable. For $18 shipped probably they are a steal. They are not over the top bassy, if you like that crap

I actually just picked up a set of these panasonic headphones to replace my HD201 and it is a massive upgrade. I'm no audiophile but I am happy with my purchase.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a pair with the velour pads coming to me to replace my HD202. The HD202 would become uncomfortable after ~1 hour of use so I am hoping the HTF600 is better.

I have a pair with the velour pads coming to me to replace my HD202. The HD202 would become uncomfortable after ~1 hour of use so I am hoping the HTF600 is better.

No comparison, I had the HD202 as well. I picked it up on some sale from Newegg and never really used it since it was just so uncomfortable. I also thought that the sound quality was pretty bad the bass bled into the mids. The sound was overall pretty tinny. These Panasonics blow the HD202 and 201 out of the water as far as sound quality goes. Its not even a fair comparison and they are also very comfortable. I have a set of velor pads on the way I can't wait to see what those do for these cans.

Like I said I'm no audiophile and I haven't tried any of the other higher end cans so I have no other point of reference.

How are HTF600 comparing to RX700 (felt & dynamat mods)? Also which one would be better for work, so I will bother less my co-workers (less sound leakage)?

Thanks guys...

Typical head-fi flavor of the month chatter. If you have very good headphones in this price range, don't get caught up in the overhype and buy a sidegrade.

Tell me about it. I've made that mistake a couple of times now. They rant and rave about how good some new headphone is and then when you get them you can hardly hear a dif from your previous headphones. I now take headfi people comments with a large grain of salt. Especially when it comes to amps, because ABX testing suggests they are mostly FOS. :p

How are HTF600 comparing to RX700 (felt & dynamat mods)? Also which one would be better for work, so I will bother less my co-workers (less sound leakage)?

Thanks guys...

The HTF-600 is a semi open can. They don't really isolate sound.

These are for people who do not already have decent headphones. If you have a headset, try these.

The JVC harx700 isolate pretty well actually.

These are for people who do not already have decent headphones. If you have a headset, try these.

The JVC harx700 isolate pretty well actually.

choices... choices.... choices... RX700 or HT600??? ...hmmm. :eek::confused:

I wish my local store had both of them So I could try them on...

Back