There's hope for bulldozer yet

FLCLimax

Limp Gawd
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...nally-tested&p=4969164&viewfull=1#post4969164

Actually, we already have such an issue known for Bulldozer, and NO bench-marked system has the patch installed!

The shared L1 cache is causing cross invalidations across threads so that the prefetch data is incorrect in too many cases and data must be fetched again. The fix is a "simple" memory alignment and (possible)tagging system in the kernel of Windows/Linux.

I reviewed the code for the Linux patch and was astonished by just how little I know of the Linux kernel... lol! In any event, it could easily cost 10% in terms of single threaded performance, possibly more than double that in multi-threaded loads on the same module due to the increased contention and randomness of accesses.

Not sure if ordained reviewers have been given access to the MS patch, but I'd imagine (and hope) so! Last I saw, the Linux kernel patch was still being worked on by AMD (publicly) and Linus was showing some distaste for the method used to address the issue. One comment questioned the performance cost but had received no replies... but you don't go re-working kernel memory mapping for anything less than 5-10%... just not worth it!

phenom2vsfxvsthuban.png

??

That's a Linux issue and the performance impact was a paltry 3% by the patch's author own words. In other words, code were aliasing wasn't an issue won't see any difference, code with issues will see a 3% improvement from the patch ( bringing it back to normal ).

OP said there is also a MS patch for similar reason

??

That's a Linux issue and the performance impact was a paltry 3% by the patch's author own words. In other words, code were aliasing wasn't an issue won't see any difference, code with issues will see a 3% improvement from the patch ( bringing it back to normal ).

Yeah if the posts in that thread are correct, the 3% figure comes from information dated July 2011...why would they wait until October to implement a 3% change? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah if the posts in that thread are correct, the 3% figure comes from information dated July 2011...why would they wait until October to implement a 3% change? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Validation ?

Back