Microsoft to Ship Last Office 2007 Service Pack

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft announced that the last Service Pack for Office 2007 will be released later this year. This will be the final Service Pack in preparation for exiting mainstream support in April 2012.

The suite will continue to be updated with security fixes for another five years after that, through April 11, 2017, during the "extended support" phase.

Sheesh. Seems like it was just last week when they released it.

Vista is also going into extended support at the same time.

*sigh* Guess I'll have to get the newest one free, just like with 2007.

I like Office 2007 as it was the last version to come with a full MS user manual, a 3 ring binder with clear instructions and pictures.

Be nice if they'd bother fixing 2010 then. I can still crash excel every time, and it's been a well known bug for over a year on the MS forums when sorting data.

I'll be darn. I'm still on office 2k...:cool:

As much as I think new versions of Office don't bring a lot to the table, ditch 2K and go for XP at least.

Office 2000 suffered hard due to Microsoft's new wonky security policies of the day. Want to apply a patch? You'll need the original install files. Want to put on a service pack? Same. Want to uninstall the product? Sorry, you'll ned the original install files. Versioning was also specific enough that if you pulled out an Office 2000 Pro CD and it wasn't the original one you installed with, that Office would deny

We just adopted Office 2007 this year at work. That was mainly because we finally needed to for interoperability with some others' systems; 2003 worked just fine. I don't see us having the financial resources to adopt 2010 (or more likely, its replacement) until the support deadline hits.

Versioning was also specific enough that if you pulled out an Office 2000 Pro CD and it wasn't the original one you installed with, that Office would deny

Clicked "submit" one too early. Office would often deny you the ability to patch or uninstall even if you had a licensed copy around, if it wasn't the same one you installed with, but was the same version.

Be nice if they'd bother fixing 2010 then. I can still crash excel every time, and it's been a well known bug for over a year on the MS forums when sorting data.

I use Excel 2010 to sort all the time and have never experienced any crashes and I've dealt with some ginourmous sheets, 500,000+ rows. Just searching around and looking at reports on the issue there doesn't seem to be a single cause. One person reported solving the problem by merely saving an .xls document in .xlsx format.

I like Office 2007 as it was the last version to come with a full MS user manual, a 3 ring binder with clear instructions and pictures.

What are you talking about?

As much as I think new versions of Office don't bring a lot to the table, ditch 2K and go for XP at least.

Office 2000 suffered hard due to Microsoft's new wonky security policies of the day. Want to apply a patch? You'll need the original install files. Want to put on a service pack? Same. Want to uninstall the product? Sorry, you'll ned the original install files. Versioning was also specific enough that if you pulled out an Office 2000 Pro CD and it wasn't the original one you installed with, that Office would deny

We just adopted Office 2007 this year at work. That was mainly because we finally needed to for interoperability with some others' systems; 2003 worked just fine. I don't see us having the financial resources to adopt 2010 (or more likely, its replacement) until the support deadline hits.

i hated that. it was a pain in the ass. 1/2 the time even with the correct disc is would give you that error.

i hated that. it was a pain in the ass. 1/2 the time even with the correct disc is would give you that error.

Oh, it sucked hard; I still shudder when I see a copy of Office 2K.

Just had a client today with Office 2000 on a couple of home systems. In working on an upgrade path for the systems, I ordered the 3-user Office 2010 Home and Student pack. For $130, it was a no-brainer.

Back