How Uranus Got Knocked On Its Side

HardOCP News

[H] News
Seriously, I have no idea what happened to Uranus or why it looks so strange.

Uranus is unique among all the planets of the solar system because it essentially orbits on its side, with its axis tilted nearly perpendicular to the Sun. Now astronomers have finally solved the mystery of why Uranus looks so strange.

LOL, I read that one yesterday on the source site. Awesome information. And I love how the author is so excited at the end about having been able to make so many puns. After which I re-read the article and facepalmed LOL

pfft.... don't you all know planets aren't real. Everything other than earth and the sun is just made up stuff by the government to keep people occupied.

If Uranus had multiple giant collisions, I think that means you're gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. It just tilts your axis a bit is all. :D

If Uranus had multiple giant collisions, I think that means you're gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.. It just tilts your axis a bit is all. :D
Oh, you merry man, you! I see what you did!

I think it'd be funny if Titan broke Saturn's orbit and collided with Uranus. That'd be tight.

690a7f8c-a6db-4a85-af3b-ef179927a44a

As Morbidelli explains, the notion of Uranus suffering multiple giant collisions flies in the face of our current theories of planetary formation:

our current theories on planetary formation also said that Jupiter sized planets could form close to a star.... how'd that one work out? anyone? anyone?

I've always thought it's tilted as it were because, like a top, it's spin is reaching the end of it's precession, assuming it never had that great of a spin to begin with, like other planets in the solar system.

Venus is technically even more tilted, because it rotates clockwise when all other planets rotate counterclockwise

Wouldn't that depend on which direction you're viewing the solar system from?

That article pretty much explained NOTHING of scientific usefulness. It's just babble with no explanations at all. Must have been a slow news day.

Uranus is full of gases like methane and has wind speeds up to 250 meters per second (900 km/h, 560 mph).

True storey...

Anus_Monster_by_citycyclops.png

Here's an image of Uranus with a lollypop moon. It appears to be orbiting normally.

Bloody geeks and they're telescopes. Use it for something more useful. Like spying on woman undressing. At least you have a chance to touch it. Beats the shit out of a pixelated picture that your going to have a thousand theories in ten years over it.

Uranus may well be the third largest planet and the seventh nearest to the Sun, but WHAT a shit hole.

Back