Stupid Criminal of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
How did this idiot think no one would notice he stole 120 Netflix DVDs that were supposed to be delivered to the people on his route?

The latest postal worker to be caught red-envelope-handed has been charged by authorities in Missouri of heisting 120 Netflix DVDs, $215 in gift cards, along with oodles of other pieces of mail that never reached their destination. According to the Kansas City Star a search of the man's home found, in addition to the purloined goods mentioned above, "80 opened envelopes and two trash bags containing more than 400 pieces of mail."

I had a friend who worked for the USPS, and from the stories I heard, this guy is an amateur.

I'm sure their are crooked mail men, hell look at the govt...

I had a friend who worked for the USPS, and from the stories I heard, this guy is an amateur.

I'd say so. If I was this postman I'd rip the DVD and then continue delivering it. Nobody would be the wiser if I sealed it back up properly.

I'd say so. If I was this postman I'd rip the DVD and then continue delivering it. Nobody would be the wiser if I sealed it back up properly.

Ding sing ding, we got a winner

Unbelievably stupid. Tampering with the mail is a Federal crime and this guy is going to do Federal time as a result--and the Feds aren't much on parole...;) Thankfully.

He could have had his own Netflix subscription for merely a few dollars a month--which I'm certain on his salary he could afford without batting an eye--and had the DVDs of his choice delivered right to his door as many times as he'd like.

I actually sold my collection of > 300 store-bought, factory-packaged DVDs and Blu-rays because I got tired of watching the same old great movies after about the fifth time (my wife and I can recite lines from many of them), and I realized that with a Netflix subscription, which costs about the same as buying a single DVD/BluRay disk per month, I could watch 20-30 movies a month (between streaming and disk delivery), and any time I hankered for a "rainy day" look at my favorite movies I could watch them to my heart's content right through Netflix. Again and again. Just no sense at all tying up thousands of dollars in movies these days--and *surely* no sense in stealing them out of the mail. What a dunce.

The Netflix envelops are so flimsy (deliberately) so as to strongly dissuade that sort of thing...;) You have to literally tear them open in two places. There's just no way that you could seal them back up so that nobody would notice--unless you had a supply of Netflix envelops yourself, and even then you'd have to generate address labels for them so as not to draw attention to the new envelop.

Plus, when Netflix ships you a title they always email you with an arrival date that I've found is 99 times out of 100, at least for me, dead on accurate. To do what you suggest the guy would have to derail them for at least 24 hours which would cause a rash of deliveries at least a day late--and some conscientious people would no doubt be calling Netflix about it, because time is critical for the DVD rental portion of the Netflix service. If a customer thinks Netflix is taking an extra day for deliveries he's thinking they would be doing that to ship him fewer movies in the month for the same price--and he'll definitely call about something like that.

Nah...the best solution for the poor dunce would have been his own Netflix account. Too late now.

Back