Facebook is Bigger Than The Whole Internet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook has more users than the entire internet did back in 2004. Wow, that number is pretty damn impressive when you think about it. If I was Zuckerberg, I'd sell now before FB goes down the MySpace path. :D Thanks to Mark C. for the linkage.

Just two weeks ago, at its 2011 f8 developer conference, Facebook confirmed it had 800 million active users. Let’s put that into perspective for you: there were only 757 million people using the Internet worldwide in 2004, according to Internet World Stats. Why did Royal Pingdom, an uptime monitoring service, choose the year 2004 as the year of comparison? Well, many tend to forget that Facebook is just a seven-year-old company: it was founded in February 2004.

I don't think it will go down. Myspace went down because it found competition and DID NOTHING to compete against it. Then they sold and who ever bought it decided to pour gasoline on it then light a match with all the adds and horribly coded updates it would give you.

I'm sure China would LOVE to get their hands on it.

And do what?

那傢伙發言生病,他的政府!找到他,處死他!

(That guy spoke ill of his government! Find him and execute him!)

Exactly how do they know the number of internet users? could be 5 using one connection, could be 1, it's no like there is a unique user ID for everybody that uses the internet.

Exactly how do they know the number of internet users? could be 5 using one connection, could be 1, it's no like there is a unique user ID for everybody that uses the internet.

I'm sure there's some national roster somewhere that keeps track of how many people are subscribed to an internet provider, seeing how the internet was once a product of the Defense Agency.

I was going to say static IP but broadband didn't become mainstream until the end of 2006 and the beginning of 2007.

That FB number is meaningless, as i know many girls who make multiple accounts just to "power game" their flash games <.<

That FB number is meaningless, as i know many girls who make multiple accounts just to "power game" their flash games <.<
And that is different than any other site how?
Hell people here make multiple accounts when Kyle and co. decide to give stuff away or they get banned. Do you really think that [H] has 152,772 unique users? Hell no.
It's just something that gets done on pretty much every site ;).

That number is way inflated. There are dogs, seniors, one time signups, old accounts, multiple accounts, fake accounts, definitely a ton of spam accounts.

Hell, mine has been sitting for quite a while un-used. I made the switch to Google+. I went back after they made the "great" changes, and couldn't get up to date information. So, for up to the minute info, I went to Twitter. Facebook may be a giant, but I don't fall for that "too big to fail" ideology. They need to do something to stay ahead. Just making changes to the way the feed is displayed and other bullshit isn't going to keep them ahead.

Oh it will definitely go down. Maybe not anytime soon, but it will go down. A lot of people are talking/thinking about leaving FB right now, even though the numbers are not going down.
It kind of reminds me of Vista. People are sheep.
One public person said that Vista sucked, and everyone followed without questioning his reasoning whatsoever.

One public person said that Vista sucked, and everyone followed without questioning his reasoning whatsoever.

Hey. Vista sucked. Compared to Windows 7. I loved Vista when it was in beta and in final form. I never saw the "Dark side" that people complained about. I used it daily on several machines. I loved it until I saw how much better 7 was. And now, with 8, I'm seeing how 7 really could use the improvement. :) I judged for myself, and I think I was the winner there. I still love Vista, but it doesn't fit any need anymore.

Hey. Vista sucked. Compared to Windows 7. I loved Vista when it was in beta and in final form. I never saw the "Dark side" that people complained about. I used it daily on several machines. I loved it until I saw how much better 7 was. And now, with 8, I'm seeing how 7 really could use the improvement. :) I judged for myself, and I think I was the winner there. I still love Vista, but it doesn't fit any need anymore.

Um well that is obvious. The whole point of creating something new is to be better then the old. It is only logical that Windows 7 is better then Vista and Windows 8 is better then Windows 7.
I'm talking about people's perspective on Vista before Windows 7 came out.
Was Vista better then Windows XP?

Companies have to introduce new services or features for users to be interested in the product, and so far FB hasn't introduced anything new that is significant. Yeah, they made some graphical changes, a few new apps, and other insignificant changes but other then that it's pretty much the same FB that existed in 2008.
The only new thing we know about Facebook is that your privacy is pretty much compromised without your consent if you visit that site.

And that is different than any other site how?
Hell people here make multiple accounts when Kyle and co. decide to give stuff away or they get banned. Do you really think that [H] has 152,772 unique users? Hell no.
It's just something that gets done on pretty much every site ;).

The difference is that Kyle and co. don't go and post stupid things about the number of people they have, and they wouldn't dream of doing that in a comparison with something closer to a "real" number .

so, again, the number is meaningless.

The difference is that Kyle and co. don't go and post stupid things about the number of people they have, and they wouldn't dream of doing that in a comparison with something closer to a "real" number .

so, again, the number is meaningless.
Your right. even though the invalid number is right at the bottom on display for everyone to see ;). Do you think they would get some of the "perks" they get if they didnt show that there are plenty of users here?

While they may be invalid with FB, I'm not denying that, I'm still pretty sure there are still millions of valid accounts. Those numbers being "meaningless" only pertains to us, the users, for advertisers it means a lot.

It's gotten too big. I'm working on transitioning completely to G+. What ever happened to just finding out what your friends were up to?

Back