Shuttleluv's final say on id software's Rage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
I have to get this out. But before anyone starts casting stones, or calling me a rage fanboy, you have to go over my post history. I was very much anticipating this game, and because of that I did start almost endorsing it in a way. But you'll clearly see now my extreme disappointment with this game now. This is just not a quality game, in any aspect, and completely lacking of any trace of id software quality.

Ok with that said now, let me cut straight to the chase. There is NOTHING that is going to make this game look better. You have to literally weed through cfg files to make anything look even reasonably 2004 circa sharp. But note I said sharp. Thats because everyone is looking for the secret tweak that will make the textures sharp. But there is none, and there won't be unless Mr. Carmack releases that super high res texture pack and FAST. You see, the engine and it's draw are clearly megatextures. And you know what? I will give credit where credit is due. Carmack, being the genius he is, overcame all the hurdles of the "consoles" and created "megatexturing". It really is very efficent at what it does....it gets over the hurdle of the small memory / latency footprint of the very old consoles. So in a sense John Carmack did not fail, he actually succeeded. And I commend him for that. He's a brilliant mind, a true gaming genius. But there is absolutely no denying that he and the rest of id software did in fact sell out to the consoles. This is a straight up console game ladies and gentlemen. Do not deny that which is true. There is no true shadowing in this game, the shadows are a blocky ugly static, the characters and vehicles lack lighting, it's a disgrace. John Carmack succeeded with his megatexturing but the engine as a whole lacks key features and looks that even Xbox 360 games had/have in 2007.

WE the gamers failed, because we saw this coming but tried to tie id software to past classics. We have seen the pattern for a good two or more years now of pc games being complete console ports. FEAR3, Rage, Crysis 2, they all share a common bond. But if we had read between the lines better, we'd see this was coming the whole time. Companies move on, not backwards. id software is a multi million dollar company, and they want money like everyone else. So why NOT program for the whole multitude of platforms and make more money? Makes sense right? Right. It's actually a brillant strategy because it ensures some level of success that porting to PC alone does not gaurantee. So from a business level standpoint and a programming standpoint, John Carmack and id software delivered. They did exactly what they set out to do. Unfortunately, for the hardcore pc enthusiests like me and alot of others here, we smell a sell out. And we feel very ripped off, and rightfully so. I bought a Sandy Bridge comp, went through the tweaking / ocing phase, and lots of other stuff to see this game look and run beautiful and the way it should on my platform. I don't have an Xbox 360, I don't want one. If I wanted my pc to look like an Xbox 360, I'd go buy one right? Well I am not.

The way I look at it is, they need to release a super texture pack ASAP and a revised patch within a week or they are con artists on a level of maybe even Don Lapre. If you multiply my $60 plus the thousands of others, that's a large number. And I have deleted this game at the moment, just two or three days after purchase. Never even got past the first level, it's dispicable to look at, and has zero originality. They created finely crafted "epic" looking trailers for months, slow motion walking and throwing a boomerang through a guy while the other reacts and it's simply just not true. The game is actually fast moving and has zero point or plot, no interactivity, and no graphics or even multiplayer to fall back on. Because of this, I will no longer trust id software. Unless they fully commit to putting the pc platform as the first, they have pretty much lost all business from me. Not that they would care, but the facts are the best classics from id software are long past. Don't expect too much out of Doom 4 either, which I hear might be an xbox exclusive now??

It' a disgrace. I'd like my $59.99 back or at the least a super texture pack and patch to weed through this piece of shit game. And trust me, as a gamer of multiple decades, that is exactly what this is. This is id software's version of Diakatana.

Last edited:
You payed $59.99 because you couldn't wait....
Your own fault?

It's just a game, but companies will continue to shovel this shit to us as PC gamers until people stop buying it.

You payed $59.99 because you couldn't wait....
Your own fault?

Yes definitely, but they purposely withheld reviews until after it was released. The only review out the time it unlocked was a EGM review saying it recieved a 9.5.

And can't you clearly see the false advertising?

TL;DR

Cool story Bro.

It is just a game. :rolleyes:

:D , that made me laugh.

But seriously Shuttle , I understand the frustration but at this point you should put it behind you. People have sent in complaints and the frustration has been aired and is well known.

You aren't getting your money back , sometimes shit just doesn't work out.

I'm over it, hence why I posted my "final say" and deleted it two days ago.

wait for the mega super res texture pack release in a few months just like with Crysis 2...problem is everyone will be playing Skyrim or Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3 by that time

with Arkham City being delayed until November they had a perfect window to dominate the month of October but they blew it

Shuttle, just feel good for the fact that you saved me 59.99 and be done with it, as I appreciate the feedback from everyone here at the [H]. Your loss probably saved some several thousand dollars from the rest of us. You just took one for the team....

if we stop ordering pc console port games they might just release it for console only.

So it is never a win for pc gaming :(

You seem like you've never lost money before..

You've got a long road ahead of you. Buck up like the rest of us and stop sounding like a 2 year old having a tantrum.

I honestly don't know how you come here and expect anyone to have any sympathy for your situation. You expect everyone to be sad for how you were ripped off, but you brought it on yourself. No one forced you to pre order the game. Learn to research before your purchase, and you would have never had this problem in the first place. The video game market has been iffy for a while now. It's very well known that it's really never a good idea to pre order a game anymore.

Oh yeah I'm a two year old ..... ok then bud go into the FS/T forum and post a WTB, then have some guy rip you off for $60. See how you feel. I brought this on because I trusted a company?

I too had a BIG TRUST in id Software, but that is gone. Oh well. Rage is certainly a sign of the decline of PC gaming. AMD and NVIDIA should be very worried about this.

This guys still trolling around? And worse yet shes referring to herself in the 3rd person!

so you started another rage sucks thread? one wasn't enough?

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

we get it, you mad bro - that isn't going to stop this game from hitting the top sellers list this year.

Oh yeah I'm a two year old ..... ok then bud go into the FS/T forum and post a WTB, then have some guy rip you off for $60. See how you feel. I brought this on because I trusted a company?

Yes, you did. You didn't fully research your purchase and you got ripped off. Now you expect everyone to feel sorry for you. How exactly does that work?

By not fully researching your purchase, I mean that you purchased it before it was released and reviewed. If you had waited for reviews, you wouldn't be in this situation. Live and learn. Or in your case, live, get ripped off, make 987987897 threads bitching about it, don't learn, repeat same process over again.

And of you guys are still posting in it. Hypocritical?

you guys talkin shit are morons.
this is a game forum, and this is a valuable first hand experience that warns those who were thinking about getting this waste of money. not that this is the first ive seen, but the more evidence, the better.

As long as Doom 4 has a shotgun I'm sure I'm going to play through it. Sorry for the Rage issues. I hope all of the stuff is worked out by the time a Steam Sale hits.

you guys talkin shit are morons.
this is a game forum, and this is a valuable first hand experience that warns those who were thinking about getting this waste of money. not that this is the first ive seen, but the more evidence, the better.

One post is plenty of evidence.

I'd like the forums not to be clogged with these threads, but I guess I'm just going to have to learn to ignore all threads with the word "RAGE" in them. Ironically, threads with the word "RAGE" in them usually contain a lot of rage.

I was interested in Rage when I heard about it.
I was ready to spring for a new vid card even though the 460 is working fine.
Glad I hang at [H] and saved $60 or more
Thanks

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1640874

I thought the OP's previous thread, thread title and enormous size conveyed a pretty clear message as is. ;)

I just wonder if he and some others would suddenly think this game was super awesome if the textures and some of the graphics were better? Is that the only problem a lot of you have with this title?

I think the reason I'm not nearly as disappointed and upset as other people are is because I expected this.

Really, when it first came out that Rage was going to be multiplatform and all we heard from id was how important it was to get 60fps on the consoles this and the consoles that...what the hell did everyone expect? It was MONTHS of nothing but console focused PR and talk from them. Some of you finally caught up to me. I was alarmed MONTHS ago when all that console talk and "by God we're really going to do whatever it takes to get that smooth 60fps on the consoles" talk was just wall to wall and everywhere from id.

So my expectations were low enough going into it that I actually the game well enough for what it is: A wholly unremarkable glorified Borderlands clone. I loved Borderlands so that's fine by me. There's nothing earth shattering about this title whatsoever.

But seriously, what did some of you expect going into this thing?

Last edited:

And this is why brand loyalty and fanboyism is the biggest, stupidest mistake you can make as a consumer. id screwed the pooch on this one, but so did you. How you've avoided getting screwed this far is a mystery, because you act like company's releasing disappointing products is some new thing.

Now hopefully next time you won't make the same mistake.

And this is why brand loyalty and fanboyism is the biggest, stupidest mistake you can make as a consumer. id screwed the pooch on this one, but so did you. How you've avoided getting screwed this far is a mystery, because you act like company's releasing disappointing products is some new thing.

Now hopefully next time you won't make the same mistake.

Like I said in my now lengthy edited previous post: There were a lot of warning signs for months leading up to this game's release. What did people really expect here?

So your entire problem with it is subpar textures? Do you burn all games made before 2006? I have sacrifice running in the background...pretty sure that has worse textures (on insane) yet is still enjoyable :p

Like I said in my now lengthy edited previous post: There were a lot of warning signs for months leading up to this game's release. What did people really expect here?

I expected id and Carmack to perform. Sorry for having faith in a man that is, or rather was, a captain in our industry.

There's little point in putting faith in anyone in this industry. We don't require faith, it's not a religion. We have actual information we can use to drive our purchasing decisions.

Take two fans, one who buys a game on faith, the other who makes their decision based on available information. One of them is putting themselves at greater risk for disappointment without a chance at a greater reward. If the game is great, both gamers get the same exact experience, if its bad, one gets their hopes crushed while the other goes "Meh" and moves on.

There's nothing smart or logical about buying from anyone on faith, regardless of their reputation. It's a gamble with no chance at additional payout.

so RAGE underperforms and the same group of 'PC gaming is dying' posts emerge from the sewers?

If I had a nickel for every time ShuttleLuv made a post about RAGE, I'd be able to start my own game development studio.

so RAGE underperforms and the same group of 'PC gaming is dying' posts emerge from the sewers?

PC is most certainly not dead or dying but it's on life support in some ways, mainly because of greed and developers not caring enough about the hardcore pc niche market.

PC is most certainly not dead or dying but it's on life support in some ways, mainly because of greed and developers not caring enough about the hardcore pc niche market.

In gaming, everything is amazing, but no one is happy

"We live in what may be the golden age of video games. There has never been a greater selection of games to play, there have never been more ways to buy the games we play, and prices for the games we play have declined. Classic and rare games are finding a second home, and a second chance, on digital distribution services on both the PC and consoles. Everything, on the whole, is getting better.

Of course, that means that no one is happy. With anything. Ever...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/09/gaming-everything-is-amazing-and-no-one-is-happy.ars

Well ShuttleLuv, you're definitely looking at it from a more logical perspective than you originally were which I appreciate, but I'm still a bit confused as to how you feel like their "con artists" after what Carmack said at quakecon. He talked quite candidly about the engine and how well it utilized current PC hardware. After hearing what he had to say, my opinion was that Rage would not come close to pushing boundaries on the PC. It was more of an experiment to push consoles as hard as possible. The positive news was that it sounded like Carmack was interested in trying to push PC hardware much further in his future projects.

I can understand being disappointed in static lighting, gameplay, story, or the buggy release. but I think calling them con artists for not pushing the PC is way off. After all, someone posted a thread just last week suggesting that the current 21gb install was huge. I think releasing the 50gb or so of super high quality textures would have gotten them a ton of shit also.

I personally think static lighting in a triple A 2011 title is pretty messed up but the shooting and atmosphere are pretty good. The variety in the environments is definitely noticeable.

I think releasing the 50gb or so of super high quality textures would have gotten them a ton of shit also.

Maybe in the early half of this past decade, but now with everyone and their brother having 10 to 20 mbps connections (and even higher), I think they could've pulled it off. Or at the very least, knowing full well the horrible graphics of our pc port, you'd think they would've released the super texturre patch the same day seperate. They stiffed us man, I'm sorry it's true but it is.

No you're kinda wrong here. It's companies that don't know wtf a graphics slider is for anymore that give PC gaming a bad name. Want to cater to the notebook PC crowd and the quad SLI crowd at the same time? Put in a graphics slider with options that allow users to tailor the experience to their setup. If you want your program to autodetect a rough starting point; that's fine. But don't set the maximum fidelity for your textures at console quality. That's the kiss of death!

As far as this hobby dying, I don't see the writing on the wall yet as there are plenty of Indie studios with powerful development tools to construct their work of art on their canvas of choice, the PC. Just sad to see another maverick of the industry fall by the wayside.

Wonder when EA will buy them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back