Eyefinity options- 120Hz main screen 60Hz side screens?

eqpablon

n00b
I need halp deciding on what route to take with eyefinity.

I currently have a AMD 6950 (2GB) hooked up to a 22" viewsonic display (120Hz 1680x1050). I would like to run 3 displays in landscape using eyefinity. Instead of buying two more 22" 120Hz displays (too costly), I would like to buy 2 of these to flank my current display:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815158182 adpater needed to run eyefinity off one card. Would use 1 DVI dual link (main 120Hz panel), 1 DVI (flanking panel), and one mini display port converted to DVI (flanking panel)

I believe I could still run my main display at 120Hz and run the two flanking displays at 60Hz, is this true? Is my plan full of fail? I would like some input before I spend the money.

Thanks in advance!

Don't think its possible all at once...

I run that exact same screen 120Hz and two 60Hz monitors...looks nice in windows but when I game the only "gaming" screen is the 120Hz screen. Other two just have windows backgrounds.

There was more talk on this issue then that thread linked above a year or two ago where an AMD developer even chimed in but don't feel like searching for it.

Thanks for the link GetFunk01 and thanks for the info rostabosta!

Sounds like eyefinity only works, or works best with 3 60Hz panels. Am I understanding correctly that there probably isn't a way to do eyefinity with 3 120Hz panels because 120Hz currently requires Dual Link DVI and maybe HDMI 1.4? Will the eyefinity 6 cards address this?

Just a slightly related (noob) question: for framerates under 60 fps, does a 120Hz have ANY effect at all?

Good question, I'm not really certain since (luckily) even BF3 beta runs over 60. I would imagine that even below 60 fps that it would be beneficial since the screen would still be twice as responsive. Anecdotally I can report that 120Hz made a huge difference in every FPS I play, as it is noticeably smoother than 60 Hz.

Don't think its possible all at once...

I run that exact same screen 120Hz and two 60Hz monitors...looks nice in windows but when I game the only "gaming" screen is the 120Hz screen. Other two just have windows backgrounds.

There was more talk on this issue then that thread linked above a year or two ago where an AMD developer even chimed in but don't feel like searching for it.

Found it, here is the link for others:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1495958

It's a great read, not only does Kyle post, but so does the AMD developer refered to as the Godfather of Eyefinity.

It sounds like it may be possible, here is a quote from page 2:

*Necro thread revival*

Sorry for the LONG delay, real life, work, and school (finals) have been eating all of my time lately, but I finally got around to setting up eyefinity. Here's the set up:

Left: LP2465 (Connected with DP->VGA adaptor)
Middle: FW900 (VGA)
Right: LP2465 (DVI)

It works great. I JUST set it up, so the only thing I've tested is BC2, but it gave me the option for "5760x1200@85Hz" which set my CRT to 85Hz and the LCDs at 60Hz. The only issue I'm having is blinking on the DP connected monitor, but I'm 99% sure it's the adaptor itself, and nothing related to my strange eyefinity setup.

Pics or it didn't happen:
eyefinity_fw900_bc2_0.png

eyefinity_fw900_bc2_1.png

EDIT: This is with the 10.5 beta drivers that came out maybe a month or so ago

While not 60-120-60 he was able to get it to work 60-85-60 proving you can use eyefinity with different refresh rates for different screens. I wonder if it's actually 60-60-60 but its being misreported as 60-85-60?

After reading that thread, I think I need to head over to WSGF and see what they have to say.

Back