Win 8 Ditching Start Menu for a Start Screen

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is moving away from the Start Menu for Windows 8 in favor of a Start Screen. According to the design team, the start menu is now old and outdated so they are moving on. Good idea? Bad idea?

As we wrote about in our post on evolving the Start menu, after studying real world usage of the Start menu through a variety of techniques, we realized that it was serving mainly as the launcher for programs you rarely use. As more and more launching takes place from the task bar, the Start menu looks like a lot of user interface for programs you don't use very frequently. And the Start menu is not well-optimized for this purpose. It affords limited customization, provides virtually no useful information, and offers only a small space for search results.

I think I threw up a bit in my mouth...

Oh well, as long as I can go back to "classic view" I'll be fine.

It's not outdated. It's that Win8 is being made with touch screens in mind. I'm not exactly thrilled with where Microsoft is going with it's O/S, but it's still too early for me to determine if I will migrate to it right away or wait a while.

There better be a option to use a "classic" start menu.

Stupid tablet bullshit.

I too understand that Microsoft sees some sort of value in tablets, but I hope Microsoft also keeps the classic theme. If not, I'm sure registry hacks + freeware 3rd party apps will make the OS look like it should for desktops.

Candy-tiles are for tablets, Microsoft, not desktops.

i dont care, just as long as it is easy and fast.

i can change how i use start menu still.

as long as it does ALL things the old start menu did and then some. That means I dont want to have to dig for a control panel, network settings and shutdown options.

We'll see

I can see non techies not liking this. Mainly because they HATE change.

Im willing to give it a try but I do hope they include a classic mode.

iLike. I hope touchscreens get cheaper and I can get touch overlays for my existing screens.

Seeing as how I can get Windows 7 to look like windows 98 for some of our users I think we'll be ok.

They are right. I mostly use the start menu to launch programs, and to search for installed programs.... like what was the name of that utility for converting mpeg to avi type things. Access the command prompt, and open my computer.

Making that process more efficient and easier works for me.

I hope it is done well. Looks like it will be a full screen process. I hope it is easy to pull up and defiantly easy to put away.

To many people fear change and get set in their ways. They practically ossify to the keyboard.

the current start menu is very fast, i can pin things to the top and by pressing winkey and then typing a few letters, i can find my program.

if the new start screen doesn't allow me to launch a program in under a second, it is full of fail

Be honest with me guys. Do you see me with Ubuntu or Mint? You think slackware will go with my eyes?

I don't see how the new menu will be "better" the Start menu. I hope there is an option to go back to "classic" menu.

A start screen? Maybe....depends upon how well its implemented, how current programs adjust to it, etc.

I've been running the Windows 8 developer preview since it launched as my primary OS just to really see how it will work. Amazingly, everything was functioning with it.

As for this start menu, it takes a day or two to get used to it, but it works very well.

The issue lies in using the quick launch on the desktop for your common programs. Then if you need the full list click on the start button and you get the new screen to select your program or app. No big deal.

The really, REALLY good part of the design change is that by doing it this way we could easily run the SAME OS on a device the size of my iPod as I run on my monster desktop and 47" screen. It really might work. And I for one am NOT going to slam Microsoft for actually doing a fair job of creating an OS that will function on pocket devices, tablets, notebooks and desktops.

Bring on the days of not having to convert anything! I'm actually excited about it.

I know, it's a MS product and we're supposed to hate it, but I can't. It works.

I've never really noticed any real improvement in the experience when I start using the newest version of windows.

That changed with 7. I'm a fan of the start bar and the drag to left/right to take up half the screen with a browser is one of the greatest things ever to happen in windows.

The start menu doesn't do much, but it does what its there for: letting me type in the name of applications I don't use shortcuts for and letting me restart/shutdown.

They are right. I mostly use the start menu to launch programs, and to search for installed programs.... like what was the name of that utility for converting mpeg to avi type things. Access the command prompt, and open my computer.
Since Windows 95 the Start button was always rarely used. Almost any application worth a damn creates a shortcut on the desktop. The point of the Start menu is to get you everywhere in your PC, that you need to go. Anything and everything will exist there. We have it for applications that we rarely but desperately need. Everything else is a shortcut on the desktop.

With that mentality they should remove device manager, cause after all it's rarely used.

Making that process more efficient and easier works for me.

I hope it is done well. Looks like it will be a full screen process. I hope it is easy to pull up and defiantly easy to put away.

To many people fear change and get set in their ways. They practically ossify to the keyboard.
How is this better then the start button? Everyone knows this is to make changes for touchscreens. A small start button, as apposed to a large start up screen. Really? I get those when I freshly install some applications, and quickly hunt for the "do not start on Windows boot" check.

It's bull crap and everyone knows it.

I suppose I'm open to change.

I'd have to use it and get a feel for it before I make any real judgement (I'll wait for RTM build), but my initial reaction is that I want them to retain a classic view option just in case.

I didn't have much trouble going from XP ---> Vista ---> Win7, but, even after living with many of them for 2 years, I never could get used to apple products (though I admit the touch interface was a big upgrade for phone usage in general).

I worry that the same will happen with Win8. It doesn't matter if it's developed by Microsoft, Apple, or Google. There is something about the new, "intuitive" interfaces that irritates me and slows my productivity on anything more powerful than a phone.

I'll learn to adapt, eventually.

I need to get with the times :(

.... Okay.

I have to ask.

Did somebody at Microsoft call a meeting at which options were discussed on how to make Windows LESS friendly to uses than Gnome?

You won't care. All it does it let you arrange your programs on a huge screen in any geometric order you want... In theory I might end up liking it MORE than the old start menu since you can group related programs into clusters and shapes. The start screen opens up and closes back to the desktop FAST. No annoying lag.

i like the part about how it will save battery life lol.

anywho, i thought in windows 7 that was the whole point of the quick access in the start menu and task bar and the ability to pin? this has been such a huge IT saver for me in the last two years. in some days it cuts my folder digging clicks by 1000's.

to use a touch screen i might go postal nerd rage on the lady.

Not really, if you click the start button on the desktop it takes you to the new screen. You can then click on the desktop icon to return to the desktop or push the windows key on the keyboard.

They have a point - I don't think I've used the start menu as a menu since Vista. Typing in the program name is much quicker than scrolling through a tiny column that the new start menu has become. Any time I need system options, Windows Key + E -> click control panel / add remove programs button at the top. Or Windows + Pause to get to device manager. All frequently used programs get pinned to the taskbar or desktop.

The process by which you hit the Windows Key and start typing a few characters to find out program still exists even in the Dev Preview.

I never use the start menu in 7. At all.

I either have programs with jumplists pinned to the Taskbar (amazing) or I hit alt-space and use Launchy (also amazing). I'm not even sure what my start menu looks like :D

The process by which you hit the Windows Key and start typing a few characters to find out program still exists even in the Dev Preview.

Quoting myself

After loading the dev preview back up, hitting the windows key and typing an apps name and pressing enter still works.

If you're searching for files, control panel functions, or anything other than an installed program there are 1 or 2 more house/key strokes involved.

Start Menu has problems. Start Screen is not the answer. If you cleanup the start menu and rarely used shortcuts into subfolders it becomes very efficent. They had an idea for tagging shortcuts with keywords years ago. If MS brought that back then start menu could have keyword folders. Like Internet, Office, System, Multimedia,ETC. Then a All folder for all shortcuts. As programs were installed they would install into all programs folder that would work like current start menu. But now the short cuts would have keyword tags and show up in appropriate Keyword folder.

im all for this because i wont be using this OS on anything other than a nice tablet....neither should anyone else.....i installed it on a laptop and it was awkward and sucked without a touch screen

As we wrote about in our post on evolving the Start menu, after studying real world usage of the Start menu through a variety of techniques, we realized that it was serving mainly as the launcher for programs you rarely use. As more and more launching takes place from the task bar, the Start menu looks like a lot of user interface for programs you don't use very frequently. And the Start menu is not well-optimized for this purpose. It affords limited customization, provides virtually no useful information, and offers only a small space for search results.

I think this is accurate, and I don't see a problem with it.

My 5 or 6 most frequently used programs go in the task bar. Everything else in the start menu neatly organized. This works just fine.

Change in and of itself is not good.

It causes the need for needless frustration and retraining.

Arbitrary change for the sake of change is universally bad.

However, change for real improvement is good.

I don't see the start screen really improving my desktop experience, but I will pass judgement until I actually use it first hand.

Quoting myself

After loading the dev preview back up, hitting the windows key and typing an apps name and pressing enter still works.

If you're searching for files, control panel functions, or anything other than an installed program there are 1 or 2 more house/key strokes involved.

Quoting myself again....

If you're searching for a control panel function say automatic updates you press the windows key, type update, you have to click the "settings" filter on the right. you can then go into windows update, but it doesnt look you can change anything. you have to scroll down on the left and choose "more settings" at which point you're dumped back to the desktop and presented with thje default control panel window where you start the process over again in classic mode

not intuitive at all. if they want this to work they are going to have to improve this ALOT

What is the word on Server 8 ? will there be one.. if so i doubr they can get away with removing the start menu all together since the desk OS and server are usually based off the same kernal base no?

Vista - 2008
7 - 2008 R2

Zarathustra[H];1037836686 said:
I think this is accurate, and I don't see a problem with it.

My 5 or 6 most frequently used programs go in the task bar. Everything else in the start menu neatly organized. This works just fine.

but the start menu can be used to search for more than just programs. documents, music, email, control panel items

and as i just posted shortly after you, the start screen (at least in its current form) is not as intuitive.

What is the word on Server 8 ? will there be one.. if so i doubr they can get away with removing the start menu all together since the desk OS and server are usually based off the same kernal base no?

Vista - 2008
7 - 2008 R2

This is what I'm hoping. Theres already a registry hack in the dev preview that gets rid of the metro UI. The underlying start menu still exists and I hope will always stay there.

Back