US Lawmaker Slams China for Cyber Spying

HardOCP News

[H] News
All this talk / outrage about China's cyber spying is great and all but it'd be nice to see some action taken for a change.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said Chinese efforts to pilfer the United States' technological know-how via the Internet have reached an "intolerable level," and called on the U.S. and its allies to pressure Beijing to stop. He made his remarks during a congressional hearing. Few intelligence insiders have discussed such concerns so bluntly. China is both a major U.S. economic partner and the nation's biggest foreign creditor.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else. But if you don't want sensitive data to be stolen don't allow it to be accessed thru the internet. Just putting it out there.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else. But if you don't want sensitive data to be stolen don't allow it to be accessed thru the internet. Just putting it out there.
Easier said than done.

Lots of businesses have sensitive data stored on servers that could easily be disconnected from the internet. However, more often than not that is information that employees need to access to work, and the employees need email/internet at their workstation so everything is indirectly accessible.

While I deplore China's actions, I somehow doubt we are lily-white either.

Wasn't it rumored that we used the Echelon system to give Boeing a leg up on Airbus Industrie?

Start taking it out of US' debt to China. Problem solved.

US will be debt free in no time.

Start taking it out of US' debt to China. Problem solved.

US will be debt free in no time.
That would be fair enough. We'll assign a dollar amount to every break-in, including the total R&D costs of any information that might have been viewed. Anything from our nuclear weapons program, for example, will be billed for everything all the way back to Einstein with adjustments for inflation and assume a 3% interest rate.

Did any Congressman slam Clinton and his cronies that gave China our missile technology?

Or those that thought it smart to let our enemy make our military hardware and fill it with spy programs?

People's priorities are dependent on what is convenient at the time.

Russia arrested a Chinese spy today. Chinese gov. are dbags but that doesn't stop our western Corporations from doing business with them because dbags and more dbags make good bed fellows.

That would be fair enough. We'll assign a dollar amount to every break-in, including the total R&D costs of any information that might have been viewed. Anything from our nuclear weapons program, for example, will be billed for everything all the way back to Einstein with adjustments for inflation and assume a 3% interest rate.

Just ask the RIAA/MPAA lawyers to write up the estimates. We'll own China and their work force for the next 100 years.

They don't need to spy on us here. They already build everything we design. It's right in their back yard.

I find it's funny. I bet the US are doing it too but isn't getting caught. I'm pretty sure they cyber spying on China but most of the techs are useless to them.

I read some of that hardware comes pre-loaded with spyware too.

Thats the exact reason the US Military no longer allows us to connect any flash device to a Govt. computer system. It was discovered that some flash drives had spyware installed into the hardware when it was manufactured.

Russia arrested a Chinese spy today. Chinese gov. are dbags but that doesn't stop our western Corporations from doing business with them because dbags and more dbags make good bed fellows.

That, and the Chinese government's definition of "individual labor rights" is a little looser when it comes to other corporations building factories or contracting to manufacturing businesses already there. And corporations love cheap labor.

Are the anti-suicide nets still hanging at Foxconn? (checking...) Yep, it appears so.

FoxconnSuicideNets.jpg

Back