Corsair Announces 8GB DDR3 Memory Modules

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced the addition of 8GB DDR3 memory modules to its Vengeance and Value Select product lines. Corsair Vengeance: High Performance and Overclockability. The new 8GB Vengeance DDR3 memory operates at 1.5V for compatibility with the new 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processor family and is guaranteed to operate at 1600MHz. Providing 8GB of rigorously-screened DRAM on a single module allows gamers and performance enthusiasts to build systems with 32GB of high-performance memory.

There already are 8GB DDR3 memory modules.

Is Corsair announcing AFFORDABLE 8GB DDR3 memory modules?

Today, one module costs as much as 192GB of RAM.

There already are 8GB DDR3 memory modules.

Is Corsair announcing AFFORDABLE 8GB DDR3 memory modules?

Today, one module costs as much as 192GB of RAM.
:eek:

Sales must be slowing down. Same modules different names.:D

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 - $270 at Newegg but OOS

This Corsair model is $20 cheaper than the only other 8GB model Newegg has listed (not counting open box).

Perhaps the memory industry's way of jacking up RAM prices.. get us all to switch to 8GB.. since it is about 5 times the price of similarly spec Vengeance 4GB sticks.

The cheapest way to get them would be to ask this guy for some..

Santa_RAM.jpg

I was excited for a moment until i saw 1600mhz, there already is 1600mhz 8gb modules what is needed is 1866mhz or higher 8gb modules..... Although the price would probably be horrific.

It's good to know they are staying ahead of the curve and launching these things.

By the time we actually need 8GB modules, they will probably have gone down in price enough to be reasonable.

For now a typical 4 slot system will fit 16GB with 4GB modules. That is more than enough for even the most RAM hungry desktop user.

I wonder if this overclocks any better then the other "Vengeance" line. As they should have taken the "OC" out of the other sets. But this is still way too high for that speed.

I have no problems getting 4GB Vengeance 1600 modules up to 2000MHz, with a bit of added voltage and loosening of the timings. From what I've seen, have to bump the voltage up to 1.6 to 1.65V and loosen the timings to 11-11-11-32-2T to get the modules to stabilize at 2000MHz...

I wonder if this overclocks any better then the other "Vengeance" line. As they should have taken the "OC" out of the other sets. But this is still way too high for that speed.

Probably OC's worse... you know, either there are more chips on the module, as such you will be limited by the worst overclocking of the many chips on the module, or it will be a new process with higher density chip, and yields are rarely good on new processes.

So one way or another overclocks are likely to be lower on with two 8GB modules than with two 4GB modules, at least at first.

The same goes for adding more 4GB modules as well though.

These are targeted at people who absolutely must cram ever bit of RAM their system can support into the system.

Photographers and SysAdmins with low end virtual hosts.

I heard Corsair were using cheap ass parts with their Vengeance sticks. That's why its so cheap as well

These are targeted at people who absolutely must cram ever bit of RAM their system can support into the system.

Photographers and SysAdmins with low end virtual hosts.

I hear the Photography line a lot, but I just don't understand how this uses a lot of RAM.

I do photography work with RAW 12MP images on my machine in both Photoshop and Capture NX2 (and sometimes Photomatix) regularly as a hobby. I have had 10 -20 images open,working on them at the same time without coming even close to filling my 16GB of ram. 8GB would probably even be more than sufficient.

I don't quite understand what some of these photographers are doing that could possibly require more than 16GB of RAM. (Or maybe they just have shitty motherboards that only have two RAM slots?)

The only thing that has ever even come close to challenging my quantity of RAM has been virtualization.

I run my minecraft server on my desktop at home. I have 16GB of ram with 12GB dedicated to minecraft. It crashed a few weeks with m_alloc errors. In other words, it ran out of memory. I'd love to bump up to 32GBs but i can't afford $1000 worth of ram when it cost me only $200 to get 16GB.

I run my minecraft server on my desktop at home. I have 16GB of ram with 12GB dedicated to minecraft. It crashed a few weeks with m_alloc errors. In other words, it ran out of memory. I'd love to bump up to 32GBs but i can't afford $1000 worth of ram when it cost me only $200 to get 16GB.

Wow. I presume it still has some memory leaks or something? I can't imagine any game actively using that much RAM.

Mine runs on a box with 4GB of RAM and it barely uses 512MB with 10 people connected. How many people connect to your box?

When X79 mainboards come out, you can get 32GB the affordable way, with eight 4GB modules.

Still likely cheaper to do that and replace your mainboard/CPU in the process, than to buy 8GB modules.

Cant wait till SSD's catch up to memory and we don't need it anymore.

You know it will someday....

Mine runs on a box with 4GB of RAM and it barely uses 512MB with 10 people connected. How many people connect to your box?

Same here sits around 400 or so with 5 people in there and being up for a week plus. I have 12gb of ram anyway so it never bothers me

Zarathustra[H];1037835627 said:
Wow. I presume it still has some memory leaks or something? I can't imagine any game actively using that much RAM.

I run a map that is 3.5GBs in size. Keep in mind, minecraft will only use what you allocate to it. When i was running it on a 4GB RAM server it would only use 2GB (what i gave it). If you don't change the normal values it is only going to take 512MBs. I like to let it use as much as possible as it keeps more of the map in memory, making the game faster for the people on my server. We tend to explore a lot and having more of the map in memory means the server doesn't have to sit there loading chunks constantly.

Back