Microsoft CEO Bonus Lags on Phone, Tablet Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like how people complain about excessive executive bonuses, some in the tens of millions, then turn around and clown CEOs if they get smaller bonuses. Hell, I'll gladly take one of those "bad" $700k bonuses. :D

Microsoft Corp Chief Executive Steve Ballmer failed to clinch his maximum bonus for the second year running due to the company's slow progress in mobile phones and adapting to the tablet computer revolution. Ballmer, 55, got a bonus of $682,500 for the latest fiscal year, matching his annual salary, according to a filing with securities regulators on Monday. Under his bonus scheme, he was eligible to receive between zero and double his salary.

Yeah but unlike those $10M bonuses, Balmers was in some way merit based, not just a "Oh hell we gotta offer this kind of money to get good talent" bullshit excuse that's always used.

He should have worked for HP. They give you millions for being a failure. I would imagine they would have given a profitable CEO like Ballmer at least a trillion dollars.

Hardly matters. Ballmer is worth ~ $15 Billion.

He isn't in it for the Salary.

Yeah but unlike those $10M bonuses, Balmers was in some way merit based, not just a "Oh hell we gotta offer this kind of money to get good talent" bullshit excuse that's always used.

I agree. At least that was the bonus he earned.

Only $700k? And what was their last quarterly profit, $30 billion? Man, to hear some people talk, $700k isn't even enough for him to get out of bed in the morning, much less do everything in the entire company that generates any growth. :rolleyes:

That's the part I don't understand. If you have $15 Billion why are you going to work?

Like Snowdog said, he isn't in it for the money, he's in it for the challenge. I have to admit, my opinion of Ballmer has changed a lot for the positive over the last few years. Microsoft is FINALLY starting to do the things its always been capable of, I think Ballmer was simply being too much of a bean counter and not enough of a technical evangelist. He's simply been paying it too safe for too long and market forces have finally slapped his bald head and made him pull it out of his ass.

Looking at Windows Phone and Windows 8, Microsoft FINALLY has a great and grand plan, one core OS that runs on every device. If Microsoft can pull it off it will be an HUGE win for Microsoft and consumers as it's an incredible leverage of software resources.

2012 is the most important year in the history of Microsoft as it is the year that it comes all together. Windows 8 will be at the core of servers, desktops, laptops, tablets and phones. It is a bet the company product with a deep strategy that ties into everything. If it fails, it will tough for Microsoft to recover, it won't be like Windows Vista.

That's the part I don't understand. If you have $15 Billion why are you going to work?

For you and me, we only work to put food on the table, but some people want to leave some kind of legacy, or simply have loyalty to their company, or any number of reasons that people do things that don't earn them money.

Maybe he simply enjoys what he does.

DEVELOPERS!

For you and me, we only work to put food on the table, but some people want to leave some kind of legacy, or simply have loyalty to their company, or any number of reasons that people do things that don't earn them money.

Maybe he simply enjoys what he does.

DEVELOPERS!

developers-developers-developers.jpg

Honestly, the man is my hero. Nobody works hard like Balmer does.

Nice to see a bonus based on merit. All bonuses should be based on performance, not be in the contract to be handed out even if they sink the company.
This should apply to politicians, though their entire salary should be based on performance.

Some important notes from the article

Ballmer has long requested that he receive no stock compensation, which might otherwise boost his pay packet.

and

In the filing, Microsoft said its board believes Ballmer is "underpaid for his role and performance," but accepted his request to receive no stock.

Nice to see a bonus based on merit. All bonuses should be based on performance, not be in the contract to be handed out even if they sink the company.
This should apply to politicians, though their entire salary should be based on performance.

It's hard to come up with a solid performance metric for a politician, since much of what they do or accomplish will be something a large portion of the populous is opposed to. They don't make that much anyway, or at least, only a very small portion comes from the taxpayer fed salary. The rest comes from whatever ass kissing goes on.

It's hard to come up with a solid performance metric for a politician, since much of what they do or accomplish will be something a large portion of the populous is opposed to. They don't make that much anyway, or at least, only a very small portion comes from the taxpayer fed salary. The rest comes from whatever ass kissing goes on.
All too true, though it would be nice if there was a way to do it.

Then again, if you put things into perspective http://unclejayexplains.com/2007/09/03/uncle-jay-explains-the-news-september-3-2007/, it would seem that some make way more than they should.

A lot of part time workers, and in my experience, part timers don't get benefits, let alone "golden" plans. I know, that's all changed...except for their golden plans that is. That and mine an millions of others actually finding their health coverage reduced.

And don't forget about that awesome retirement plan they get, which more than makes up for any lack of wages while in office.

Probably for the same reason you see a lot of people getting into philanthropy and volunteer work.

After a career of doing important stuff and driving a business forward, I can imagine that at first, not having to work seems great. But then you try it, and all of a sudden its very boring and you go stir crazy and don't know what to do with yourself.

Then you look for another challenge.

Zarathustra[H];1037833020 said:
Probably for the same reason you see a lot of people getting into philanthropy and volunteer work.

After a career of doing important stuff and driving a business forward, I can imagine that at first, not having to work seems great. But then you try it, and all of a sudden its very boring and you go stir crazy and don't know what to do with yourself.

Then you look for another challenge.

This.

Once you get to that level you tend to have a certain drive that other people lack. You don't tend to see these guys just sitting on beaches blowing money and having 100 sports cars and a million blonde girls friends.

Why does warren buffet still work or bill gates or even steve jobs before (retirement).

It's going to depend a lot on a persons personality. I'm sure some of them do it because they enjoy the challenge. I'm sure others simply love the job. Others like the power and control they have over others. Although if it's the latter they'd probably gravitate towards high level banking positions where they can really squash us peasants under their thumb and control the rise and fall of major corporations and nations. The independent banking reserves, like the federal reserve and the bank of england, are the real ones that control the world. Nations rise and fall at their whim.

shocking! a CEO with a reasonable base salary and bonus structure.

Back