Low-Cost Electronic Tablet Proves Worth in Indian Classroom

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S.- and Singapore-based creators of the low-cost I-slate electronic tablet are preparing for full-scale production now that a yearlong series of tests has shown that the device is an effective learning tool for Indian children. The I-slate, an electronic version of the hand-held blackboard slates used by millions of Indian children, will eventually be solar-powered for use in classrooms that lack electricity.

It is being developed by researchers at the Institute for Sustainable and Applied Infodynamics (ISAID), a joint program of Rice University in Houston and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore. When mass-produced, the solar-powered I-slate is expected to cost less than $50 (64 Singapore dollars). "Our study clearly shows the I-slate is an effective learning tool for all students, regardless of their learning ability," said computer scientist and I-slate creator Krishna Palem, director of ISAID. "The first production I-slates will be pre-loaded with lessons for mathematics, science and social studies."

I applaud anything that helps education but, there are already successful educational programs being broadcast on radio. I don't think the tablets will aid in the lack of teachers.

Why are these orgs from Singapore and the U.S. even involved for Indian schools?
Wasn't it on [H] you posted an article about a cheap 100% Indian designed and built tablet for schools some months ago?

Maybe the government should start defining common hardware and software standards before everybody and their sister starts building incompatible tablets for schools.

When the Indian's have trouble with their tablets, do they get an American on the support line they can't understand?

When the Indian's have trouble with their tablets, do they get an American on the support line they can't understand?
Nah, too expensive, they probably get someone in a Chinese support center that they can't understand.

Indian Classrooms?????????

I freaking couldn't even use a calculator in Physics or calculus classroom when i was doing high school. I had to use old school LOG table and have to take LOG and Anti-LOG to get the freaking right answer. (those of you who don't know what log table is try it here now that's just like 1/100 of it.)

Seriously they just gonna make it that simple!!!!!!

Back