ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II Graphics Card

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at OCIA have posted a review of the ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II video card today for your viewing pleasure. You can see our evaluation here for comparison purposes.

Today we will bump things up to the higher-end of the spectrum as we analyze the ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II graphics card, a $500 premium GPU featuring a core clock of 782 MHz, 512 processor cores and an effective memory clock of 4008 MHz. This card is factory overclocked by 10 MHz (772 MHz reference) but ASUS also offers a higher factory overclocked version of this card at 816 MHz."

I really really like this card, I love the look of the DCUII cooler, I dislike that it requires 3 slots though as it makes adding additional cards difficult or impossible. I sort of wish they did stock 6970 and 580 cards with the dual slot DCUII found on the 1GB 6950 and GTX 560 cards.

Yes...super duper horsepower for all those high resolution (*bullshit* cough) console ports (BF3).

Not sure where the 'console port' is coming from for BF3. It clearly isn't a console port.

I really really like this card, I love the look of the DCUII cooler, I dislike that it requires 3 slots though as it makes adding additional cards difficult or impossible. I sort of wish they did stock 6970 and 580 cards with the dual slot DCUII found on the 1GB 6950 and GTX 560 cards.

I fit two just fine with a slot to spare in between. Just takes some creativity and a case you can hang things off the end of the motherboard. I LOVE the DCUII cooler, silent and very effective. I pushed my cards to 950mhz on stock fan curve with 85*+ ambient temps.

The GTX 580 Direct CU II's are some kickass cards. They look awesome and overclock like no other. My only limitation is heat right now as far as overclocking goes. I may need to go to watercooling to push it past 950mhz as I don't like my cards going over 80c.

The GTX 580 Direct CU II's are some kickass cards. They look awesome and overclock like no other. My only limitation is heat right now as far as overclocking goes. I may need to go to watercooling to push it past 950mhz as I don't like my cards going over 80c.

They're rated for 105C. You have an extra TWNETY-FIVE degrees of headroom.

They're rated for 105C. You have an extra TWNETY-FIVE degrees of headroom.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's good for the cards, not to mention the temps that the cards are adding to the system. My motherboard temps spike when these guys get hot.

It's just my preference to keep them below 80c. If I need to push them further, I will invest in watercooling.

This is true, in my system the cards stay plenty cool enough at a reasonable fan speed, but unless I turn my case side fans on they do cause the PCH temperature to go up by 20-25C under load.

Loving mine, cool, quiet and powerful, exactly what I was looking for in a high end card. I know many consider it over priced and/or overkill at my res (1920x1200) but it just runs the games I play fully maxed out and smooth as butter, so it was worth waiting a little longer to save up the extra $....:cool:

Had this card since February, absolutely no issues at all the entire time (throughout countless driver updates and game releases) It runs cool, uses less power vs a stock GTX580, is VERY quiet, and most importantly overclocks great -- 850/2100 default voltage (and have gone up to 950/2150 using afterburner).

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1823710?show_ads=true&page=/3dm11/1823710?key=Saz0wk7QyV8Qz9wKTkLAdCrJRb2Re6

3dmark11 score: 7726

AvP score @ 1080p:

Number of frames: 8620
Average Frame Time: 12.2ms
Average FPS: 82.2

If I were buying right now I'd still probably get this version GTX580, it's been a pleasure.

i remember when i owned one of these was an amazing card very much worth the money at the time maxed every game i played

Back