Dashpuppy's ManCave

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
NOT too too much to add into here other than the desk and how it was built, will add more this week after i get other chores done.

I need to setup the rack,

after i mount the ups properly ( on rails )
Move the 2 1u servers down lower
move the New WHS box down

Move the switches UP,
mount the sonicwall TZ210 in a rack shelf
Purchase a 24 port rack mountable patch pannel
Mount my ap's in the house, conceal a few wires & Coax for modem
setup the Voip server & mail boxes.

Closet that the server is going to live in,
IMG_1115.JPG

Rack on the floor :(
IMG_1116.JPG

Servers Still in their boxes :(
IMG_1118.JPG

Desk,
IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

Done
IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

nice desk. I wish I was buying a house anytime soon to make my own and setup my own man cave. Just for clarification cause its late for me, you are putting your rack in a separate room than your desk right? I moved my rack out of my room cause of noise lol. I'm trying to find 40mm fans for a lot of my old cisco stuff to replace the loudness the stock ones create

nice desk. I wish I was buying a house anytime soon to make my own and setup my own man cave. Just for clarification cause its late for me, you are putting your rack in a separate room than your desk right? I moved my rack out of my room cause of noise lol. I'm trying to find 40mm fans for a lot of my old cisco stuff to replace the loudness the stock ones create

nope, rack is going into my closet in the same room, you can see in the (last ) picture to the right the closet doors are open. All my servers are quiet, i was amazed how quiet my 1u's really are, Ill post a video of how quiet it is in a day or so.

Dash.

nope, rack is going into my closet in the same room, you can see in the (last ) picture to the right the closet doors are open. All my servers are quiet, i was amazed how quiet my 1u's really are, Ill post a video of how quiet it is in a day or so.

Dash.

my rack is soooo loud right now. Once I get married I'm reclaiming the 2nd room in my place as an office so I can put my rack in a closet there so I'll see how it goes with the loudness factor. My 3550 switch is the loudest besides the old dell 2u server I have

looks great so far dash! at least you wont have anything on the floor like at the last place eh?

looks great so far dash! at least you wont have anything on the floor like at the last place eh?

all in the rack :) just installing my power bars i bought from costco for under my bench,

Bought 2 power strip bars 26$ each has 12 outlets per bar :) will post pictures soon.

thanks for the comments :)

Got some more work done tonight,

DSCN3039.JPG

DSCN3041.JPG

DSCN3040.JPG

HOPEFULLY i get some time this week to setup my server & new storage server, been swamped with work & night time wiring job's and new house organizing.

Nice! Kep them coming....

I can only wish I had the space to do something like this:(:(

Nice! Keep them coming....

I can only wish I had the space to do something like this:(:( The room I have is not much bigger than your closet! :(

I want to do something like this too, but i'm wanting to use finished counter top instead. build it all the way around so the kids can have their stuff in there too

Nice! I want to eventually build my own desk, something similar to that. Plain and simple design with lots of room.

You should also add power outlets on the surface so you don't have to bend over to plug stuff. That's my plan when I build one. ;)

Looks great, I wish I had a house so I could do this. The only thing I would have changed is I would have gone to Lowe's and bought a coutertop remnant on the cheap for the desk top.

Looks great, I wish I had a house so I could do this. The only thing I would have changed is I would have gone to Lowe's and bought a coutertop remnant on the cheap for the desk top.

Lows in canada :) i wish :)

Im taking the router to the edges of the desk soon, then sanding, then painting white. :)

Shoulda got rid of the carpet!

Watch the temps of your rack in that closet.

In my former AV closet I added a "close on rise" thermostat to control the bathroom fan ceiling exhaust. This worked perfectly as the bath fan would cycle on only when the room reached the preset temperature. I have a photo of this setup somewhere...

In my former AV closet I added a "close on rise" thermostat to control the bathroom fan ceiling exhaust. This worked perfectly as the bath fan would cycle on only when the room reached the preset temperature. I have a photo of this setup somewhere...

could you post a picture ?

Wonder if it's bad to just vent the warm air into the attic, or do i need to vent it out the roof.. Don't want to cause / create mold.

could you post a picture ?

Wonder if it's bad to just vent the warm air into the attic, or do i need to vent it out the roof.. Don't want to cause / create mold.

Its probably not a good idea for a number of reasons. Mold is unlikely since you are not venting any moisture, but your fan will be inefficient since a hot attack creates a static pressure problem for the fan.

The bigger problem is that you violate fire code (at least in the US you do, pretty sure Canada would be similar). The ceiling between the attic and living space is supposed to be 2-hour rated firewall. By cutting your fan hole you invite any fire in your server area into the attic or any fire in the attic into your server closet, which will hasten the spread of any fire throughout the house.

Ducting it outside is much better.

Its probably not a good idea for a number of reasons. Mold is unlikely since you are not venting any moisture, but your fan will be inefficient since a hot attack creates a static pressure problem for the fan.

The bigger problem is that you violate fire code (at least in the US you do, pretty sure Canada would be similar). The ceiling between the attic and living space is supposed to be 2-hour rated firewall. By cutting your fan hole you invite any fire in your server area into the attic or any fire in the attic into your server closet, which will hasten the spread of any fire throughout the house.

Ducting it outside is much better.

I'll just leave the closet door open, it doesn't get that hot in there.. other than the noise from the new 4 bay 1U asus server the rack is silent.

My AV closet was on the main floor so no penetration of any fire stops, etc.
In the winter months the hot air was ducted into a big adjoining storage room via a flapper valve that could be switched to vent outside during the summer. This was inspected during the remodel and the inspector was quite impressed with the design. It did not violate any local or national codes.

There are commercially made versions of this available but I found that they were quite expensive (and noisy) at the time (2005). Also, there is no moisture being generated since it was an equipment closet and not a bathroom with a tub or shower. Although I do not have a photo of it, the flapper valve could be accessed via the flat plastic access cover in the photo. The close-on-rise thermostat is on the left, the almost silent 80CFM fan is on the right.

__rack_vent.jpg

Last edited:
Well since my new server isn't really that quiet like his brother 1u server, i think i may look at getting one of these.

It's a Toten 22u Rack enclosure.

DSCN3038.JPG

Think i will sell my 22u 4 post for cheap.

Nice setup but I am going have to get ready to pull my computers out of my closet because its starting to over heat my computers.

oce printer ?

Or is your giant printer labeled as a canon? Either way, the giant printer you have in one pic has the same exact outer plastic casing as our OCE/Canon printers we dumped because they sucked. Canon/OCE can suck me

Or is your giant printer labeled as a canon? Either way, the giant printer you have in one pic has the same exact outer plastic casing as our OCE/Canon printers we dumped because they sucked. Canon/OCE can suck me

I am not sure what the printer was, i know i moved it out of my way and back LOL thats all i know about it.

I am not sure what the printer was, i know i moved it out of my way and back LOL thats all i know about it.

:)

Just the site of those models makes me cringe. I spent many hours tearing those apart with a tech and putting them back together. The highly trained OCE/Canon tech (best printer tech I've worked with) hated that model too.

Any updates on your new setup? I think you should give us a theme to decorate and we should go hunting on amazon/ebay for you :).

You know like a hello kitty theme. I would totally buy you a poster for your mancave if you let us pick the theme

:)

Just the site of those models makes me cringe. I spent many hours tearing those apart with a tech and putting them back together. The highly trained OCE/Canon tech (best printer tech I've worked with) hated that model too.

Any updates on your new setup? I think you should give us a theme to decorate and we should go hunting on amazon/ebay for you :).

You know like a hello kitty theme. I would totally buy you a poster for your mancave if you let us pick the theme

go nuts :) i like orange and red LOL!! More updates this weekend, i will be running coax line to the closet, then some cat5 one for the Ap & one for the media device in master bedroom.

Need to order my 24 port patch panel for the rack..

Still working on server to make quiet, resourced out new fans :)..

dash..

Some pics of the updated room ( still in progress )

Desk, with 3 monitors, the middle 23" lcd was given to me today free, customer was going to throw it in the garbage she didn't want it :p

DSCN3050.JPG

To the left,, working on my WHS11 box, slowly.

DSCN3051.JPG

Free tower x 3 * on under desk * will be tinker boxes when i get some time to do some linux playing etc etc.
DSCN3052.JPG

Did some rack work this weekend, Moved my servers together, WSS11 box will go 1 u above the top server. Moved my cisco router & switch up will play with this some day, when i get time and energy to learn cli and stuff with it. moved other home switches up too.

DSCN3053.JPG

To be completely honest.... I dont want to know what goes on in dash's "man" cave ;)

Back