AT&T Begins Sending Throttling Warnings to Top Data Hogs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are an AT&T wireless customer and have a high rate of usage, expect to receive a text message informing you that you have been targeted for reduction of data speeds in the future if you continue to use at your present rate. Have a nice day :D

“What is the point of a Netflix app if we don’t have the back-end to fully support it?” Ali says. “The tiered data plan is in the right direction, but then don’t throttle your users. Let them use what they pay for at the speeds that they paid for.”

A Wired.com poll of 11,000 data plan subscribers showed that 73 percent use less than 2 GB of data each month. Consumer Reports similarly found that the average iPhone user only gobbles 273 MB of data each month. So right now, the throttling issue is generally only affecting a small number of users.

So people get throttled at 2GB? Because 27% of users seems like more than a "small number of users"

Now this is just stupid. First get rid of unlimited data plans to help with network congestion; because they didn't invest properly in infrastructure. Then Throttle people who are using the tiered data plan as intended. I'm not a heavy data user on my phone, but there is absolutely no way I'm ever going back to ATT. Not for DSL, not for cell service and not for anything else. I really hate ATT. They need to die in a fire.

Now this is just stupid. First get rid of unlimited data plans to help with network congestion; because they didn't invest properly in infrastructure. Then Throttle people who are using the tiered data plan as intended. I'm not a heavy data user on my phone, but there is absolutely no way I'm ever going back to ATT. Not for DSL, not for cell service and not for anything else. I really hate ATT. They need to die in a fire.
Agreed. At least with Tmobile they give you full speed data so you know when you will be throttled. ATT full of such bullshit. I hope the merger never goes through.

this is the same company who is "going to bat" for you, the consumer, because you need ATT to bring mobile internet to everyone so they can throttle you and cap you.....LOL what will you ever do without LTE guise? because once you get it you wont be able to use it, not even if you want to pay for it!!!

they aren't doing much to win over public opinion are they?

This has been happening with me EXACTLY with T-Mobile for MONTHS now...

I signed a contract 2 years ago (says Unlimited, always has been, but) now it still says UNLIMITED, even without the * (unlimited*) so therefor it should be totally unlimited right?

Wrong, my old G1 data plan is now capped at 5GB, total BS!

All because of the douchebags who feel the need to download torrents 24/7 on all the unlimited plans... if this is you doing that for the past few years, Thanks aassholes, you are the reason they looked into doing data caps, no other reason!

Data caps (wireless and now broadband too) were implemented because of assholes that download torrents/movies/games/etc NONSTOP.

There is no other reason for them to do this crap, so thanks to the guys who pioneered this great tech downturn!

@Greene420 Are there people who torrent on their mobile phones? If that's the case, a simple solution would be to have better integration with the cabled home computer, so you can start a torrent remotely, or using a torrent box. In both cases it wouldn't affect your carrier's traffic.
I'll never watch long movies on a mobile phone's small screen, but if I did, it would be from a WiFi spot, not on my carrier's bill. Especially at work. ^-^
Still, you already break the 2GB mark if you watch only 2 small, say 25MB, YouTube videos a day. Although I don't know if YT videos for mobile are smaller.

Is it AT&T who also has ridiculous prices for SMS texts, like $10 a month for 200 texts? On top of the normal fee.

I signed a contract 2 years ago (says Unlimited, always has been, but) now it still says UNLIMITED, even without the * (unlimited*) so therefor it should be totally unlimited right?

All because of the douchebags who feel the need to download torrents 24/7 on all the unlimited plans... if this is you doing that for the past few years, Thanks aassholes, you are the reason they looked into doing data caps, no other reason!

Yes, please everyone stop using netflix or anything else that actually consumes data because you personally don't consume as much as others. Rightfully blame the companies selling these plans not the consumers actually making use of them. Who exactly torrents on their phone btw? :rolleyes:

I also have an unlimited plan for my smartphone on T-mobile and I still do not have a cap.

Data caps (wireless and now broadband too) were implemented because of assholes that download torrents/movies/games/etc NONSTOP.

There is no other reason for them to do this crap, so thanks to the guys who pioneered this great tech downturn!

lol wut? How is their fault if they were USING WHAT THEY PAID FOR? Also, you are looking into the wrong direction: in the US there are partial monopolies when we talk about communication services (some cities only get one provider), and thats why they get along with this.

We have no limited plans here in Spain...and I don't see the companies complaining. Why? Because the minut they did, everybody would jump into the next one; but because in many US cities you just can't then...well, you are basically screwed :D:D:D

PS: so, no, again piracy has nothing to do with this. There are many people out there that downloads a ton of stuff, all legit.

Some of these people talking about over usage on unlimited plans are *******!
Hello! Why don't you blame the companies for over subscribing users and then throttling them to fit more and more on.

I take it you have no clue about the speeds lack of caps a lot of other countries in the world have/get!
You see, the US has a problem with investing any revenue in actual expansion. Most companies
are just like the government, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze!

Smh...Anytime something you pay for is reduced you shouldn't blame the person paying, you should blame the company providing.
I swear some people have no common sense!

I'd bet my life these same companies won't refuse new customers though!

lol wut? How is their fault if they were USING WHAT THEY PAID FOR? Also, you are looking into the wrong direction: in the US there are partial monopolies when we talk about communication services (some cities only get one provider), and thats why they get along with this.

We have no limited plans here in Spain...and I don't see the companies complaining. Why? Because the minut they did, everybody would jump into the next one; but because in many US cities you just can't then...well, you are basically screwed :D:D:D

PS: so, no, again piracy has nothing to do with this. There are many people out there that downloads a ton of stuff, all legit.

well yes and no....i agree with both sides

lets go back and think about how things were when they all started the unlimited data thing....it was 3G only and there was still a huge percentage of people who had old school phones that used very little data at all. even those with smartphones, the few and far between didnt consume very much data because back then using the web and stuff on a smartphone was cumbersome at best and slow. I know, I had a Cingular 2125 and 3125 smartphone made by HTC back before anyone knew who HTC was. Before ATT Mobility. The 3G was really only used for email back then. Nobody had phones capable of streaming HD video let alone a screen worth looking at a movie on.

Fast forward to today and we have these huge beautiful screened super phones that can come close to replacing a desktop for most typical daily activities. We have improved 3G speeds and 4G LTE now being deployed. Today a kid can tether his phone to his desktop at home and download torrents at 4-5 times faster speeds than the typical ATT DSL home broadband speeds on a 4G phone.....

You see, unlimited, in context of when it was used, was not a huge amount of data to begin with. They knew that too. Don't think they didn't do the math....and then year after year, they start pushing out these crazy fast phones and not only that, the number of people who now have service has increased exponentially. Additionally the number of smartphone users to normal users has broadened by leaps and bounds. You have all these factors, social, economic, techno-logic.....all colliding and suddenly a blanket statement like "unlimited data" means a hell of a lot more data than before as well as pushing capacity limits on networks.

People say they should have upgraded their networks to handle it.....but turn around and say, they should not have to pay so much for the service. So you want them to invest millions and not charge a single dime extra? Every company has a responsibility to get a return on investment. But consumers dont handle price increases to well so what else is left? Lessen cost of service. How? By metering it out instead of leaving it as a free for all.
People will say "well they shouldn't use the term unlimited". Sprint is quick to toss that one out there. Sprint also has not spent nearly as much to keep up their network. They have a lower quality of service due to a less capable network. They also have far fewer subscribers. It's a bit easier for them to still offer unlimited service when the actual impact of unlimited is not nearly as great on the other end.

Look at Verizon. They have invested tons of cash into the network. It shows. They have the best nationwide service bar none. This coming from someone who spent years traveling the country for business. I carried a company cell and my own personal cell the whole time. ATT and VZW. That VZW phone worked everywhere...and the bill was $5-$10 higher than anyone else. I am ok with that. Today I have a Droid Charge I get 4G speeds on and they never asked for a price increase at all.....I went from a relatively slow 3G connection to 4G overnight with no change to the bill.

Guys, I am not a corporate apologist. I'm just playing devils advocate here and trying to put things into perspective. Sure the cell carriers could have handled it better. But at what point did you really think this was sustainable? 10 years ago unlimited data was a few hundred megabytes at best for the heavy user fortunate enough to have a smart phone. Today unlimited data is a completely different animal and in the last 10 years how much of an increase have you seen on your cell phone bill that was a result of direct price increases? We would be better off if we had accepted across the board rates in order to keep the ability to use our phones. But most people are willing to kill someone over $10 instead of seeing the bigger outcome....

I got tired of all these limits crap.

So I went to comcast, started a business based internet plan, and have unlimited. I have not noticed any throttling, etc...Love it..

Since when is "Unlimited" limited? If it were me, I would sue over the use of the term "Unlimited."

Yes comcast does suck but at least they let you go unlimited if you want to pay, I agree with paying a little more if im gonna use the service. I really hate how all these big companies continue to change the rules to benefit themselevs and leave us out in the cold.

So people get throttled at 2GB? Because 27% of users seems like more than a "small number of users"

No.

Read the article next time. They are throttling the top 5% of users. Currently this seems to be users above 11Gb per month.

I don't know how the hell they use that much data.

I'm on my phone near constantly (to the point where my wife complains about it), and occasionally even tether it, and then highest monthly use I've had in the last two years was ~720MB.

Granted, I rarely stream anything. I have the Netflix, Pandora, Last.fm and Spotify apps, but I don't use them very often.

I've started watching a few movies on the Netflix app, but usually get bored about a quarter of the way into the film and stop watching. I guess movies - for me - are a social thing. I don't like watching them alone on my phone. I usually watch the 1 or 2 movies I watch a month at home on the TV with other people.

Pandora/audioscrobbler/last.fm are so 20050-2006. They were fun for a while, but after a while they start "randomly" playing the same songs you've heard a million times.

Spotify is better, as it lets you play the music you want to hear. (though it is a little high maintenence. Having the option to do a radio style play sortof like Last.fm/pandora on occasion would be nice. I usually listen to Spotify at home, but occasionally when driving home from work. No more than an hour per week in the mobile app though...

I just fail to understand how people accumulate so much data usage. They must never be home, and constantly walking around using Netflix/pandora/last.FM/spotify. Even then it seems unlikely.

Then again, maybe they are just illicitly tethering and lying about it :p

I guess I just can't understand how you wind up with over 10Gb of use on your phone plan without it somehow being some sort of abuse.

I just did some math.

Spotify's normal mobile bitrate is 160kbps. I could not find Pandoras normal bitrate, but they sound similar so for calculations sake I'll assume they are.

at 160kbps if you played it non stop for an entire month, that would result in 49.4GB of data use.

But people have to sleep.

They also have to work or go to school and do homework

If we subtract out 8 hours per day for sleep (I know not everyone sleeps this much every day, but those that sleep less often "catch up" on weekends) and subtract out 40 hours a week for work or school activities then that brings us to 21.2GB month, if you do nothing else with your awake, non-working time but listen to Pandora.

So in other words in order to accumulate 11GB of use in a month from "just listening to Pandora" you'd have to spend more than half your awake non-working time listening to Pandora.

Furthermore, he claims he accumulated his 11Gb just during his commute.

So assuming he commutes 5 days a week, that means he must have a 17 hour commute EACH WAY every day in order for this data use to be explained solely through Pandora and podcasts during his commute.

I'm leaning towards calling BS.

He's probably tethering illicitly and lying about it.

Zarathustra[H];1037822959 said:
Furthermore, he claims he accumulated his 11Gb just during his commute.

So assuming he commutes 5 days a week, that means he must have a 17 hour commute EACH WAY every day in order for this data use to be explained solely through Pandora and podcasts during his commute.

I'm leaning towards calling BS.

He's probably tethering illicitly and lying about it.

Slight miscalculation on my part. It's closer to 16 hours each way for 5 days a week.

Still proves my point though.

@Zarathustra[H] I agree music streaming during commutes will never fill up probably even 2GB, but he said he watches podcasts too during his commute, and he seems to be a heavy content consumer.
Diggnation alone is usually well over 500MB a week, Tekzilla 1GB, HD Nation 180MB, TED Talks 400MB, add 2 or 3 YouTube videos a day and you easily reach a monthly 11GB, on weekdays only.

The question is more, since it's not possible to download that much on commutes only, he must be using his unlimited data plan to download all these podcasts overnight and during the day, instead of from a computer and then sync'ing his mobile phone. If AT&T were smart, they'd set up storage servers and let the mobile phones sync from the home or work Wi-Fi spots. Hell, there's even WiFi in many commuters buses now.

Dear AT&T, throttle my ass and you'll incur my wrath! Upon the moment I don't get what I pay for, I'm switching providers. Don't worry about the cancellation fee, cause I'm not paying it. Better get your Debt Collectors ready, cause you ain't going to see a dime.

:)

Zarathustra[H];1037823019 said:
Slight miscalculation on my part. It's closer to 16 hours each way for 5 days a week.

Still proves my point though.

Wow. I am having a serious case of fat fingers today. More like 4 hours.

@Zarathustra[H] I agree music streaming during commutes will never fill up probably even 2GB, but he said he watches podcasts too during his commute, and he seems to be a heavy content consumer.
Diggnation alone is usually well over 500MB a week, Tekzilla 1GB, HD Nation 180MB, TED Talks 400MB, add 2 or 3 YouTube videos a day and you easily reach a monthly 11GB, on weekdays only.

Watches podcasts? Podcasts come in video format now? Wow, I really haven't been keeping up. Even so, makes no sense to sync them wirelessly.

I am still of the opinion that it is those who try to use their wireless phone to completely replace their home internet that are causing the troubles for everyone else. That is not the purpose of wireless.

The purpose of wireless is to SUPPLEMENT your home internet when you aren't at home. These morons are gobbling up all of the bandwidth and screwing everything up for those of us who try to use the service properly, as an occasional - out of the home - service.

I slingbox over my sprint connection all the time. Have never received a warning about using too much data. My only complaint with Sprint is that their 4g service sucks where I live (san francisco). Every service provider is a business and they're going to try and get as much profit as they can. If enough people jump ship or stop buying smart phones, then maybe the providers will relent. I'm waiting for Sprint to eventually jump on the throttled data connection bandwagon. Hopefully it's longer rather than sooner.

Zarathustra[H];1037822821 said:
No.

Read the article next time. They are throttling the top 5% of users. Currently this seems to be users above 11Gb per month.

I don't know how the hell they use that much data.

I'm on my phone near constantly (to the point where my wife complains about it), and occasionally even tether it, and then highest monthly use I've had in the last two years was ~720MB.

Yeah, until you get an Android handset and start getting into running custom roms and kernels and whatnot and you are downloading the latest cooked rom at 300Mb each on your 4G phone, sometimes they release new ones several per weekend..... Or streaming Netflix for hours. Some days I am using Google Music Beta to stream my music collection from my cloud space all day long, will use it to surf web and also idle in an IRC chatroom all day...not to mention the constant barrage of corporate exchange push mail and my personal gmail push mail......then when i get home a lot of the time i will surf the web on my mobile on the couch with the wife while we watch tv because its a lot more convenient than sitting in the office at a desktop by myself.....

you see, you THINK you use your phone a lot but you dont use it like some of us do, and it not uncommon for my line alone to run up 5-8Gb a month. My wife is a casual user, she might use 200-300Mb a month.

then when i get home a lot of the time i will surf the web on my mobile on the couch with the wife while we watch tv because its a lot more convenient than sitting in the office at a desktop by myself.....

Why don't you connect to your home network when at home?

Zarathustra[H];1037823909 said:
Why don't you connect to your home network when at home?

i do most of the time, but most of the time i am at work when the majority of the data streaming is happening.....i use my laptop more at home, some days i just forget i had wifi turned off and it stays on 4G all day and night

last time i checked i wasn't paying $140/mo for unlimited 4G service so that i could use the home broadband, which I already pay for as well....what happens when my cable provider suggests that I start tethering my cell phone to my computers instead of staying on their network?

I would also like to add that when I was on a 3G connection my data usage was around 2-3Gb a month and with the same habits but switching to 4G its now doubled. Thats me not changing anything I do.....the fact that 4G lets you do things faster means you end up getting more done.....

well yes and no....i agree with both sides

lets go back and think about how things were when they all started the unlimited data thing....it was 3G only and there was still a huge percentage of people who had old school phones that used very little data at all. even those with smartphones, the few and far between didnt consume very much data because back then using the web and stuff on a smartphone was cumbersome at best and slow. I know, I had a Cingular 2125 and 3125 smartphone made by HTC back before anyone knew who HTC was. Before ATT Mobility. The 3G was really only used for email back then. Nobody had phones capable of streaming HD video let alone a screen worth looking at a movie on.

Fast forward to today and we have these huge beautiful screened super phones that can come close to replacing a desktop for most typical daily activities. We have improved 3G speeds and 4G LTE now being deployed. Today a kid can tether his phone to his desktop at home and download torrents at 4-5 times faster speeds than the typical ATT DSL home broadband speeds on a 4G phone.....

You see, unlimited, in context of when it was used, was not a huge amount of data to begin with. They knew that too. Don't think they didn't do the math....and then year after year, they start pushing out these crazy fast phones and not only that, the number of people who now have service has increased exponentially. Additionally the number of smartphone users to normal users has broadened by leaps and bounds. You have all these factors, social, economic, techno-logic.....all colliding and suddenly a blanket statement like "unlimited data" means a hell of a lot more data than before as well as pushing capacity limits on networks.

People say they should have upgraded their networks to handle it.....but turn around and say, they should not have to pay so much for the service. So you want them to invest millions and not charge a single dime extra? Every company has a responsibility to get a return on investment. But consumers dont handle price increases to well so what else is left? Lessen cost of service. How? By metering it out instead of leaving it as a free for all.
People will say "well they shouldn't use the term unlimited". Sprint is quick to toss that one out there. Sprint also has not spent nearly as much to keep up their network. They have a lower quality of service due to a less capable network. They also have far fewer subscribers. It's a bit easier for them to still offer unlimited service when the actual impact of unlimited is not nearly as great on the other end.

Look at Verizon. They have invested tons of cash into the network. It shows. They have the best nationwide service bar none. This coming from someone who spent years traveling the country for business. I carried a company cell and my own personal cell the whole time. ATT and VZW. That VZW phone worked everywhere...and the bill was $5-$10 higher than anyone else. I am ok with that. Today I have a Droid Charge I get 4G speeds on and they never asked for a price increase at all.....I went from a relatively slow 3G connection to 4G overnight with no change to the bill.

Guys, I am not a corporate apologist. I'm just playing devils advocate here and trying to put things into perspective. Sure the cell carriers could have handled it better. But at what point did you really think this was sustainable? 10 years ago unlimited data was a few hundred megabytes at best for the heavy user fortunate enough to have a smart phone. Today unlimited data is a completely different animal and in the last 10 years how much of an increase have you seen on your cell phone bill that was a result of direct price increases? We would be better off if we had accepted across the board rates in order to keep the ability to use our phones. But most people are willing to kill someone over $10 instead of seeing the bigger outcome....

Yes, but you are missing the point here: this is not a world-wide problem...because this problem happens mainly in the US. So, is it that companies have to get a return on their investments or is it that they are too greedy and have big monopolies in a ton of areas and, thus, don't need to invest to keep revenue up?

So, companies should not offer would they can't give you...nor they should be able to modify contracts that were "unlimited" to limited now, no matter what.

My wife went with Sprint specifically because of the unlimited data plan. She can't get internet where she is so has to tether to do so. Plus, I send her files with DropBox. One compressed TV show at 2GB would be AT&T's entire monthly allowance.

At least we have competition for a little longer until it's only AT&T and Verizon.

I will agree that AT&T is total garbage -- I ditched them over a year ago for sprint and have loved it. My bill has not deviated more than 5 cents for the entire contract. I have a basic plan 450 minutes, unlimited text and data on my 4G evo -- I tether and generally do whatever I want and have never gone over 3GB a month. I don't care either way.

If a company wants to limit certain people on their network... then they just need to be damn clear about it. Nothing pissing me off more than seeing the word "unlimited" with a star next to it.

That shit flys these days? I can call a red car blue as long as I have a little * next to it in the advertisement? I can understand why they throttle, their network is over extended and just plain sucks.

If I pay for a seat on an airplane I expect to be able to use it. What if I weight 350lbs? Yes I'd be a glutton, a slob, and pretty much a terrible excuse for a human (i hate fatties) should I be charged the same rate? No -- an airline I think should fully be able to charge extra for someone morbidly obese.

Back to tech: If they would just stop this limited unlimited crap I'm sure a lot of us would settle down and find a plan that suits our needs. I don't really care if it costs more if I use more, fair is fair. Just stop with the word games on what unlimited means.

All this being said -- I think the price they want to charge is outrageous -- bandwidth should be cheap as dirt, (or at least it should be) Charging an extra 20 dollars for 10GB is rape.

Sadly I have to break down and go against every fiber of my being and probably pay AT&T for DSL at my apartment. They are the ONLY, yes the ONLY internet provider in my area, trust me I looked high and low. At 20 dollars a month the price isn't bad, but it's the reliability that pisses me off. Hell I'd be willing to pay 40 or 50 if I knew I had a rock solid DSL connection and no pesky caps.

One thing we can all be sure of, a fair balanced solution that makes economical and technological sense will never be reached because I'm 99% sure everyone running AT&T is a money grubbing tool who couldn't care less about their customers.

Sadly I have to break down and go against every fiber of my being and probably pay AT&T for DSL at my apartment. They are the ONLY, yes the ONLY internet provider in my area, trust me I looked high and low. At 20 dollars a month the price isn't bad, but it's the reliability that pisses me off. Hell I'd be willing to pay 40 or 50 if I knew I had a rock solid DSL connection and no pesky caps.

This is the problem. When you don't even get to choose who do you get the service from you are screwed from the beginning to the end. It surprises me with the sheer quantity of anti-trust laws there are in the US that none seem to be in effect regarding comm companies.

last time i checked i wasn't paying $140/mo for unlimited 4G service so that i could use the home broadband, which I already pay for as well....what happens when my cable provider suggests that I start tethering my cell phone to my computers instead of staying on their network?

Actually, yes you are.

Mobile data was only ever intended to be a temporary backup to land based data, on the occasion that Wifi or a traditional computer is not available.

It was never intended to be a full replacement for cable/dsl/fiber networks.

The people that use it this way are the ones thy are screwing it up for everyone else bu inundating the mobile networks with their data web try are at home or at work. Penalizing these users is very appropriate and I hope the carriers do this even harder in the future.

People like this are the reason I can't fully take advantage of my mobile data when on the go, because cheap bastards cancel their cable and tether tier phones instead.

Internet becomes faster
Streaming video in HD becomes common
Digital distrubition of movies and games becomes common
ISP adds caps

ISP's are backwards.

music streaming does fill up over 2GB for my commute, i stream at 192kbps, my commute is ~20min each way. so about 200min a week streaming music from my phone plus some other random things, i dont abuse my plan at all. i used around 3GB last month.

a quick calculation i did shows 200min = 2.3GB, so that is about accurate, and I would say that a 20min commute each way is normal, if not, shorter than the average commute.

I would have agree'd until recently.

AT&T appears to be particularly afraid of NetFlix.

music streaming does fill up over 2GB for my commute, i stream at 192kbps, my commute is ~20min each way. so about 200min a week streaming music from my phone plus some other random things, i dont abuse my plan at all. i used around 3GB last month.

a quick calculation i did shows 200min = 2.3GB, so that is about accurate, and I would say that a 20min commute each way is normal, if not, shorter than the average commute.

Agreed. That sounds more reasonable.

Note that the guy in the article claimed that his 11Gb usage was due predominantly to his streaming during his commute.

You aren't going to get capped any time soon at a 2.3Gb usage. It's only the top 5 percent of users,- which right now seems to be in the 11+GB level.

perhaps they should stop overselling services they cant backup and support.

Back