Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Patrick Bach, executive producer on Battlefield 3, sat down for an interview with the Wall Street Journal today. While the interview focuses mainly on BF3, this quote about BFBC2 is definitely quote of the day:

I don’t know why, but I always feel ashamed about the games I’m involved in making. I can’t even bring myself to start up “Battlefield Bad Company 2,” our last game, because I feel so ashamed. I know it is a great product but still I only see the things we could have done better.

TwistedFreud thinks that a certain video game producer's parents brought up their child with low self esteem...

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.. nice to see someone in the industry admitting to making crap..

Guy has a point to an extent. How many things have you worked on that have tiny problems that onl YOU notice. Things that go completely unseen to anyone except the creator.

Now to be ashamed of it.... thats a little over the top.

Guy has a point to an extent. How many things have you worked on that have tiny problems that onl YOU notice. Things that go completely unseen to anyone except the creator.

Now to be ashamed of it.... thats a little over the top.

If you pick nits to that point, you'll never release anything. It is nice to see a non-Kotik critique his own work, though.

I like how the interviewer can't possibly seem to believe that being a game tester is in fact an awful, brutal job.

The trueth lies somewhere between narcissism and cynical self deprecation.

This more than candor probably. Pride has it's place, even if you see only flaws.
Seeing flaws is good so that you work harder and don't make them. But the attitude is somewhat similar to Duke Nukem developer, it's a good thing to let it go and let it walk...
or in the case of some games (Daikatana) fall to a miserable and painful death.

My favorite quote of the article:
Being a game tester is a crucial and important job. It’s not about eating pizza, drinking beer and playing computer games, so sorry guys.

That's what I'm doing tonight is beta TESTING the GAME, eating pizza and drinking beer!

P.S.- recall that "The perfect is the enemy of the good." --Voltaire

This happens to just about anyone who does home improvement as well. You cover up little mistakes with moldings and edges and trims. A dab of paint. Some epoxy. You know it's there. The warped wood. The lines where two dry walls meet. Things like that.

But when someone comes over, they see a vast improvement of how the house is now compare to what it was. But they're oblivious of the little mistakes and flaws, unless you point it out to them.

It is like that with live performances too. If a piano player makes a mistake, but then just keeps playing, hardly anyone will realize he made the mistake.

If he stops, slams his head into the keys and starts over from the beginning, then everyone realizes he screwed up.

Knock on wood?

Have you ever been close to tragedy, or been close to folks who have
Have you ever felt a pain so powerful, so heavy you collapse

No...well...I never had to knock on wood
But I know someone who has
Which makes me wonder if i could,
It makes me wonder if I
Never had to knock on wood
And I'm glad I haven't yet
Because I'm sure it isn't good
That's the impression that I get

I couldnt bring myself to start up BC2 because it sucked. The mechanics were well thought out, but it lacked in playability. 1v1 firefights should not cause each party to die 50% of the time.

Back