Are Netflix Cancellations Slowing Down?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to a new survey, things might be looking up for Netflix as far as cancellations go. Then again, the survey was extremely small (only 250 people), and only tracked current customers.

"We believe our survey shows that subscriber cancellations are stabilizing after being higher than expected for the majority of Q3," Jaffray wrote in its report. "While we continue to expect elevated churn over the next few quarters, the risk of a mass exodus appears to be moderating following our mid-September survey."

Anyone else getting BOMBED with "Come back and get a free month..." e-mails from Netflix? I am getting constant e-mail from Netflix on two old e-mail addy's...even though I am a current subscriber.

i just went from the 15.99 plan to the 7.99. Its nice to have netflix, but because of my sister forgot to return one of the dvd's and was adament on needing the dvd plan i held on to it, i ended up only renting out only one dvd. Redbox is definitely cheaper in that regard.

Not buying it. The stupidly of the split of services will have a big impact and continue to drive people away... it did me.

Eh, my cycle isn't up until near end of next month, so I'll cancel then. Cancellations are immediate, regardless of where you are in the billing cycle.

Eh, my cycle isn't up until near end of next month, so I'll cancel then. Cancellations are immediate, regardless of where you are in the billing cycle.

I'm cancelling at the end of the billing cycle as well...
I had switched from 2-dvds to 1-dvd when they raised prices, but now with splitting services, it's just not worth it anymore...

Okay, so a small population of current subscribers only which amounts to .00001% of Netflix's users is polled, and somehow they arrive at the conclusion that cancellations are slowing down?

How does this stuff get published?

Personally speaking, I'm in the process of ditching the DVD delivery option. I barely used it. For the frequency I watch movies on disc, I could put $8 a month towards renting online or through cable.

No, they aren't. I canceled the DVD plan after they announced they were splitting it off to qwikster. The email and their status page shows my current plan out for another 2 weeks yet, and has a message saying I need to return all the DVD's by 7 days after the last day of the billing cycle.

I canceled a while ago, but they never actually canceled my account.

I canceled again today.

No, they aren't. I canceled the DVD plan after they announced they were splitting it off to qwikster. The email and their status page shows my current plan out for another 2 weeks yet, and has a message saying I need to return all the DVD's by 7 days after the last day of the billing cycle.

It could be for the streaming. When I went to cancel, it said it would be immediate.

we are trying the 30 days free from blockbuster then making a desicion.

We'll probably drop netflix only because the streaming selection absolutely blows....it is a waste of our money. The dvd bit is fine but my wife is soooo furious over the split shit, she'd rather use blockbuster's dvd service.

I don't care about the dvd bit, I rarely actually get dvds I want to see. I'd be snug as a bug if netflix would just get new shit (and not shitty old movies and tv shows) on streaming.

Sounds like spin to me. If they were really doing better they'd be talking about all the new accounts they've opened, not that the bleeding has "slowed". This also isn't taking into account that other companies, Blockbuster in particular, are now targeting them and taking advantage of their stupidity.

i can believe it as that was soo last week, or in internet land ancient history. now its time to be getting upset by facebook still tracking you while logged out or some other dumb shit.

Still on the 2 DVD and streaming plan. No real reason to cancel.

So what if they spun the DVD/Blu-ray service off to Qwixter. I'm reserving judgement until I see them perform in the next couple months. If it's the same or better, I'm staying with them. If they get worse, I'll cancel.

This is probably just a tactic to help stabilize their stock price. It has dropped from $304 a share $107. I'm surprised Hastings hasn't been fired yet. They seem to keep making one terrible decision after another.

I bet this is just some stunt to try to make things look better for the investors.

A few of my co-workers just canceled within the last few days so I know people are still bailing out.

250 people is way to small of a poll.

Anyone else getting BOMBED with "Come back and get a free month..." e-mails from Netflix? I am getting constant e-mail from Netflix on two old e-mail addy's...even though I am a current subscriber.

I am. I had an account in end in May 2009 or so and when I started using Netflix again, it wasn't under my name. The second account was has also since been cancelled. So now I'm getting asked to try free months on both of my old accounts.

Which I'll gladly take and cancel before the month runs out.

Yep, I did, and I haven't used Netflix since about 3 years ago for a 2-week free trial.

Hastings made the Netflix/Qwickster split announcement on the night of the 18th, and the survey was polled the next day.
It doesn't even say if the polled customers were aware of the split, so between that, the small number of customers polled, and the ridiculously high percentage of their last poll (15% vs. Netflix' own 4-4.5% estimate,) I don't think this survey means anything.

Netflix themselves cut their customer progression down 1 million after the price hike reactions, so who knows, it could be another million customers less after the split. But more important than the sheer number of customers is the number of customers who changed their plan from streaming + disc mailing to just streaming or just disc mailing, which would have a bigger impact in revenue.

Where are Anonymous and WikiLeaks when we need them to tell us how many streaming and disc mailing customers Netflix had and have over all this summer's blunders? ^-^

I am wondering what happened yesterday. Netflix shares have been stable at about $130 for the past 10 days since after the split reactions, but it crashed yesterday, and in huge volumes too. Apparently some options expire today, people probably waited till the last minute. It closed at $113+ today, just like yesterday. We'll see what happens Monday.

I'm still perfectly happy with Netflix. I was down to streaming before they raised the prices so it hasn't affected me one bit.

You could get Netflix streaming and Hulu Plus for about $16 a month total. Surely there would be something to watch between those two.

with both blockbuster/netflix.

i get my shit off the newsgroups using my proxy... sorry i only pay a cheap newsgroup fee and really cheap blank dvd's. sorry but hollywood is not getting a dime from me. who needs the hassle. screw em. call me what you will but i like to save $$$.

There are 3 reasons that I live my life:

1) pop music
2) to follow a herd
3) to find out how Netflix subs are doing

@acidrain97 Burning DVDs is a hassle. And so antique.
Since you are interested in saving $$$, why do you even pay for newsgroup and proxy services and expensive DVD-Rs, when a 3TB hard drive would store all your 700MB rips for only 3 cents per movie, or 20 cents, about the same price as a blank DVD-R, for a 4.5GB HD rip?

Back