Mapping Zombies

HardOCP News

[H] News
What parts of the world are most concerned with a zombie outbreak? A handful of researchers from Oxford University's Oxford Internet Institute made this handy map that shows you where zombies are mentioned the most. Apparently Russia and China don't care about a zombie invasion or they've already been taken over. :eek:

I guess that's where all us mindless, entertainment hungry fools live.

Wait a sec... that's where all the financial troubles are, too...

That map is like saying Russians and other non-English speakers never search for "ghost," which is possibly true. Instead they'd be searching for the term in their own language. For instance, the Russian search word would be зомби (pronounced essentially the same as English). And, funny enough, that occurs most in countries with high concentrations of Russian speakers. Had they done that they could have analyzed the ratio of results for "zombie" versus "зомби" (which is 72-1 worldwide). But even that wouldn't quite be a fair comparison anyway as the number of speakers familiar with the word "zombie", given that it is often left in English even in non-English speaking articles it is simply a word known to a much higher percentage of the world population. It's particularly clear as such given that the concept originated in Africa, where it is still a popular concept in tribal (read: without internet more often than not) belief systems. Sorry, it's just these kind of pseudo-intellectual studies that attempt to draw conclusions on a single-sided argument with very little evidence just really get on my nerves. This one just happened to hit a particular chord given that languages and linguistics is an area of great interest on my part and this is the kind of argument I would expect to hear from a secondary school student.

Apparently zombie infection is only a problem in the first-world. At least we know where to evacuate to now.

Are zombies called "zombies" in all languages and cultures? The Chinese equivalent seems to be "Jiang Shi", for example...

Russia would be good place to be in zombie apocalypse. Plenty of AK-47's and bullets, cheap vodka everywhere - useful for molotovs, among other things - plus Siberia is very, very cold. I don't think zombies would do too well there.

Russia would be good place to be in zombie apocalypse. Plenty of AK-47's and bullets, cheap vodka everywhere - useful for molotovs, among other things - plus Siberia is very, very cold. I don't think zombies would do too well there.

Thanks for the tips... will start planning now...

Rest of the world is not concerned with a zombie invasion because they have real things to be concerned about. Like a US invasion...

Actually I would think it would be a lot easier to find weapons in the good old US of A. In the town I live in right now you would be hard pressed to go three houses without finding one without some sort of firearm. Ammo is pretty easy to find to.

Only reason Atlanta has a huge marker is because that is where The Walking Dead is filmed.

Lastly, makes me wonder. You got CDC releasing official info on how to prepare for a zombie invasion. Now you have the zombie proof house and anti-zombie tank. Now we have Oxford doing research on who cares the most on zombie invasion.

Something is going on!

Rest of the world is not concerned with a zombie invasion because they have real things to be concerned about. Like a US invasion...

Really? That was seriously uncalled for and out of line. Keep your political crap in the appropriate threads.

Back OT..

Interestingly enough the West coast US is not where I would of expected the largest percentages to be.

as noted earlier in the thread this map totally discounts the threat of non-english speaking zombies. What are you gonna do when the herd goes UAUUAHHAUHAUHHHAAMMMMAAAUH!!!! in CHINESE?

That map is like saying Russians and other non-English speakers never search for "ghost," which is possibly true. Instead they'd be searching for the term in their own language. For instance, the Russian search word would be зомби (pronounced essentially the same as English). And, funny enough, that occurs most in countries with high concentrations of Russian speakers. Had they done that they could have analyzed the ratio of results for "zombie" versus "зомби" (which is 72-1 worldwide). But even that wouldn't quite be a fair comparison anyway as the number of speakers familiar with the word "zombie", given that it is often left in English even in non-English speaking articles it is simply a word known to a much higher percentage of the world population. It's particularly clear as such given that the concept originated in Africa, where it is still a popular concept in tribal (read: without internet more often than not) belief systems. Sorry, it's just these kind of pseudo-intellectual studies that attempt to draw conclusions on a single-sided argument with very little evidence just really get on my nerves. This one just happened to hit a particular chord given that languages and linguistics is an area of great interest on my part and this is the kind of argument I would expect to hear from a secondary school student.

Wow. You've got your thinking cap on. Kudos.

.........but whether or not you are searching for "zombie" OR "зомби" doesn't truly matter. They will be searching for you. :D NOM NOM NOM

Ironically those countries with the least amount of brains fear having their brains eaten the most.

Back