Man Steals 54 Copies of Madden 12 On Camera

HardOCP News

[H] News
When you stand in front of the store camera and stuff 54 copies of Madden 12 down your pants, you qualify as stupid criminal of the day. Walking out of the store without getting caught means you must be shopping at Walmart. :(

The suspect goes into the hardware section, takes a screwdriver and pries open the games to do away with the security features. The loss prevention agent said the video shows the suspect repeating the procedure until the display was empty. Fifty-four copies of the game have been reported missing. The video, according to the loss prevention agent, shows the man hiding the games somewhere on himself, then walking out of the store.

loss prevention or loss investigation-because-they-did-nothing-to-prevent-it?

his fine should be in the millions for sharing this game with up to 54 people :rolleyes:

his fine should be in the millions for sharing this game with up to 54 people :rolleyes:

I doubt 54 people want to play this year's Madden. But, yea, all he has to do is NOT upload them and he will get a fine and community service.

Should be fairly easy to find the guy and arrest him. Screen caps are clear as day. All they have to do is monitor craigslist and other places he may try to pawn them off.

Otherwise, what the eff' is he going to do with 54 copies of the same game?

Haha what Walmart leaves brand new $60 games sitting out in the store like that? I've always seen new releases locked behind glass. Maybe if they paid their employees better then they'd actually have people wanting to help out their employer instead of doing the bare minimum for a paycheck. I personally hate the practices of Walmart so I'm glad this happened to them and I hope this guy gets away with the crime.

Dude will be caught, they have his picture plain as day. They most likely also have the plates of the vehicle he got into in the parking lot. One assumes he'll be selling these for $25-30 each.

I'm a little baffled that they left them out like that. Plus for him to clean out the entire endcap.... someone had to see that, and it had to take time and make noise prying off the security cases.

Someone at Wally World loss prevention probably lost their job over this.

Just an FYI, Walmart has a policy NOT to interfear with shop lifting. Employees that have stopped shoplifters in the past HAVE BEEN FIRED! They just record the video and let the cops take care of it, so dont bust the employees balls for not doing anything.

Just an FYI, Walmart has a policy NOT to interfear with shop lifting. Employees that have stopped shoplifters in the past HAVE BEEN FIRED! They just record the video and let the cops take care of it, so dont bust the employees balls for not doing anything.

Hey, I'm with the Walmart employee's. That guy had to be wielding a knife to open those boxes, and that makes him armed and dangerous. Besides, they ain't getting paid to stop armed robbery. That's what security guards are for.

Just put out an all points bulliten to all pharmacies looking for a man purchasing mass quantities of Preparation-H.

Those 54 copies had to go somewhere.

Someone who steals Madden 12 period, deserves some police brutality when they are caught.

Not really a stupid criminal compared to some stories I've heard. This is pretty standard fare. He got 54 copies and got away with it. Not the "stupid criminals" story I'm used to hearing.

Not really a stupid criminal compared to some stories I've heard. This is pretty standard fare. He got 54 copies and got away with it. Not the "stupid criminals" story I'm used to hearing.

I agree. I dont see anything "stupid" in this story. 54x60=$3240. Even if he gets $30 each its still $1620. What would qualify him as "stupid criminal" was if he tried to sell them in the Wallmart parking lot, or if he tried to go back AND DO IT AGAIN! Im sure with the publicity this is getting on the internet he will get caught, but 99% of the shoplifting that goes on in Walmart is not reported. If this wasent reported to the media there would be little chance of catching him.

I like how he starts to walk away then turns around and is like, "...ehhh maybe just a few more."

They have his face on camera...I wouldn't call that "getting away with it".

LOL, I live 45 minutes from Orange Park, FL!

I wonder what camera they had that took those side profile shots of him. Looks too low to be a standard security camera.

And when he gets caught the penalty will probably be far less than what would happen if he uploaded one movie to the internet.

Amazing how ass backwards the legal system is these days.

When I worked in retail a loooong time ago, there was a lady who stuffed a bunch of shoes into her bag (that she didn't pay for). All of the employees knew it, so we called loss prevention. They said, "Sorry, we can't call the police or stop her unless we have actual footage of her putting it in her bag and then leaving the store with it." Since most of the full-time footage is on the registers (err, employees) and the rest are controlled via a remote, most of the shoplifters got away without even a slap on the wrist.

Hey, I'm with the Walmart employee's. That guy had to be wielding a knife to open those boxes, and that makes him armed and dangerous. Besides, they ain't getting paid to stop armed robbery. That's what security guards are for.

This may be true for uniformed workers, however a buddy of mine works for Walmart specifically for shop lifters. He's a big guy, and he walks around Walmart in regular street clothes and catches and grabs people who are stealing.

The fine he will face in Florida for doing this can total up to $5,000. Had he downloaded (not uploaded) those 54 games he would be facing a lawsuit for $8,100,000 @ 150k per infringement which is almost always the amount sought.

I'd say he's doing it right. :rolleyes:

Haha what Walmart leaves brand new $60 games sitting out in the store like that? I've always seen new releases locked behind glass. Maybe if they paid their employees better then they'd actually have people wanting to help out their employer instead of doing the bare minimum for a paycheck. I personally hate the practices of Walmart so I'm glad this happened to them and I hope this guy gets away with the crime.

yeah, i've never seem them or any other store just leave games out like that short of the $20 or $30 specials.

Didn't you at least read the OP? he walked into hardware and used a screw driver to open the cases.

When I worked in retail a loooong time ago, there was a lady who stuffed a bunch of shoes into her bag (that she didn't pay for). All of the employees knew it, so we called loss prevention. They said, "Sorry, we can't call the police or stop her unless we have actual footage of her putting it in her bag and then leaving the store with it." Since most of the full-time footage is on the registers (err, employees) and the rest are controlled via a remote, most of the shoplifters got away without even a slap on the wrist.

long time ago I used to work for compusa when I first got started, the lost prevention units actually did most of the stealing several of them got fired for it and then rest of it are stolen by the warehouse guys and the managements so eh who watches those who watch others?

One of my co-worker's brother worked at Target as a uniformed security. He was a 60 year old guy. More of a door greeter than security but he wore the clothes. A floor supervisor or cashier supervisor had him search someone for shoplifting and the security guy was fired for doing so. Don't know what happened to the supervisor though. The security guy knew he was not suppose to search anyone but did it only because he was told to. Didn't matter.

I guess the loss prevention people are the only ones suppose to be doing anything about thefts.

WTF man? This reminds me of when I used to work at Circuit Shitty back in the day. This guy came in and started prying at the display case for the MP3 players. Several people were watching him do it. I walk around the corner and see this guy cranking out one of the display model Creative MP3 players. I walked up behind the guy quietly and asked him in a deep booming voice if he needed any help with that. Dude looked like he dropped a deuce in his shorts and took off running. Right into a one of those floor standing add signs that are made out of heavy steel. Smack... He tried to get up and run again but he had knocked himself silly and just kept stumbling. Everyone busted out in roaring laughter and he was placed under arrest by a warehouse guy that was also a cop.

You should have seen the look on his face when we told him that the display was a plastic dummy and even if he did get it, it was literally worthless.:p I got a coaching slip because apparently the guy could have sued us. The store manager called me in his office to sign it and together we viewed the video. After another good bout of side splitting laughter, he tore up the form and just told me not to interfere with shoplifters anymore. No matter how funny.:D

Two weeks later I got a real coaching form for telling some lady that she shouldn't buy an E-machine because they were a horrendous POS.:p Man being moral these days is tough. Funny, but tough.

WTF man? This reminds me of when I used to work at Circuit Shitty back in the day. This guy came in and started prying at the display case for the MP3 players. Several people were watching him do it. I walk around the corner and see this guy cranking out one of the display model Creative MP3 players. I walked up behind the guy quietly and asked him in a deep booming voice if he needed any help with that. Dude looked like he dropped a deuce in his shorts and took off running. Right into a one of those floor standing add signs that are made out of heavy steel. Smack... He tried to get up and run again but he had knocked himself silly and just kept stumbling. Everyone busted out in roaring laughter and he was placed under arrest by a warehouse guy that was also a cop.

You should have seen the look on his face when we told him that the display was a plastic dummy and even if he did get it, it was literally worthless.:p I got a coaching slip because apparently the guy could have sued us. The store manager called me in his office to sign it and together we viewed the video. After another good bout of side splitting laughter, he tore up the form and just told me not to interfere with shoplifters anymore. No matter how funny.:D

Two weeks later I got a real coaching form for telling some lady that she shouldn't buy an E-machine because they were a horrendous POS.:p Man being moral these days is tough. Funny, but tough.

This post made my night, thank you sir. :D

I wonder what camera they had that took those side profile shots of him. Looks too low to be a standard security camera.

ya thats the first thing I noticed, they are like chest height

You didn't even read the summary of the article before posting I'm guessing. Summary says "went into the hardware section and used a screw driver to open the packages" or words to those effect.

Granted, yes. I wouldn't risk my life for a corporation or my personal safety.

You didn't even read the summary of the article before posting I'm guessing. Summary says "went into the hardware section and used a screw driver to open the packages" or words to those effect.

Granted, yes. I wouldn't risk my life for a corporation or my personal safety.

Knife or no, you could still get stabbed by a fucking screwdriver just about as easily. ;)

Must be planning a Madden Tournament, seriously though who the hell plays that game anymore???

... What would qualify him as "stupid criminal" was if he tried to sell them in the Wallmart parking lot, or if he tried to go back AND DO IT AGAIN! .
I can top that. He would be dumber to try to return them at customer service for a refund..

Wow, just had to be a black man stealing "Dat Madden". I'm no saint, but wow. And have you never heard of a hat, dumbass? The only way this isn't total stupidity is if he's not from that town.

Back