GameStop: Consoles Continue To Be 'Gold Standard'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Game consoles will continue to be "the gold standard?" Those are fighting words!

GameStop is making a huge push to stay relevant, if not become a leader, during the digital boom, but the company also firmly believes that consoles will be here to stay for quite some time still. Speaking to IndustryGamers as part of a larger piece about the company's evolving cloud gaming strategy, GameStop President Tony Bartel commented, "We continue to believe that the console is a strong platform and will continue to be the gold standard.

"Gold Standard"?

The sad part is, most "gamers" actually believe that. My 12 year old daughter asked me the other day why in the world somebody would want a COMPUTER to play games on.

/facepalm

Does opening a new product and letting your greasy-ass employee(s) man-handle it, then selling it as if it were never touched a Gold Standard too? The hell with that store and everything it stands for. I personally hope consoles phase out or get decent hardware so we stop getting crappy ports on PC.

Games like Dark Souls are console only and will be the gold standard for a while, regardless of platform, and that includes the PC.

Steve, show them the PC versus PS3 video of BF3!

Does he mean medically, or monetarily? Either way, I think he is misusing the term.

Consoles are for non computer literate people.
Now, that is if you define computer literate in a term that is actually meaningful.
They know how to fully use a computer, configure , use apps,etc.
This is very different from most people version of what computer literate means; which is they know how to click a few certain things. But if one of their icons are missing; they are totally lost.

If they were that confident of the console's "Gold standard" then why the hell did they make a tablet? Not saying that tablets are here to stay, but they seem to be doing what every other company is doing. Panicking and then making your own tablet to cash in.

I really don't care what GameStop does cause I'm buying my games online. Especially for PC where Amazon gives great deals. Ebay gives me great deals on used games, and they aren't man handled by teenagers dumber then cats.

"Gold Standard"?

The sad part is, most "gamers" actually believe that. My 12 year old daughter asked me the other day why in the world somebody would want a COMPUTER to play games on.

/facepalm

Clearly, you have FAILED as a parent.

:p

well pc games cant really be a standard if u dont support and sell them now can they, GG gamestop on fail

It's funny how after years of console controllers designed specifically for gaming, no controller comes close to matching the natural feel of a keyboard and mouse - devices many decades old that were designed before video games existed.

It's funny how after years of console controllers designed specifically for gaming, no controller comes close to matching the natural feel of a keyboard and mouse - devices many decades old that were designed before video games existed.

I was playing the new Fight Night game at a friend's house the other day, I got a damn hand cramp.

Though, to correct you, video games have been around equally as long (and longer in research) than PC's.

In their context, profitable B&M game sales, is their "Gold Standard". Key word profit.

They're afraid of (and rightly so) of losing out to DLC content and mobile phone gaming. Thus they have to release a platform so they can get a cut of it. I'm not sure if it's the right solution, but at least they're not sitting there and letting the market move away without a fight.

*Waits for the butt hurt PC elitists to nerd rage*

Consoles still attract the mainstream hence will always be the ''Gold standard'' if current trends continue.

goldmember.jpg

Solid Gold! :D

Consoles are pretty much PC's now anyway...just five years behind the current PC tech.

Gamestop is just butthurt about this little gem I read today. :D

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne...oles_2014_-hardware_already_10x_more_powerful

The article starts off by saying...

Vidia is famous for talking up the potential of PC gaming, but considering that the company’s profits are almost entirely dependent on the success of that genre, many have taken it with a grain of salt. For years they have claimed PC gaming is on the rise, but now they can actually put a date to it. According to analysts commissioned by the graphics chip maker, PC gaming revenue will overtake consoles by 2014. ...

Click link above to read the rest

For those who prefer not to clock I'll post the graphs

nvidiapcgamingsalesfull2.png

nvidiapcgamingperformancefull2.png

"Gold Standard"?

/facepalm

You have raised her poorly. :p

Gamestop may feel free to pick the peanuts out of my turds and feast upon them. I will not do business with those hosers.

For them and their wallets, maybe. They sure as hell ain't better than PC gaming.

Well Gamestop/EB shrank their PC section to almost nothing, so they are just console store now. What other comment could they make?

I'm sure they are getting scared of ending up like Blockbuster.

Their problem is that they are trying to do tell the market that what is best for the seller is also best for the customer - that may currently be the case for *some* customers, but this is not a growth strategy.

The market will not be steered toward solutions that benefit the seller at the expense of the buyer as long as there is an option. Some games are good enough to thwart the customer and make them go where they would rather not (see BF3 / Origin) but this is rare.

Perhaps they should take a look at what happened to the music "industry" when they were hell bent on keeping music in the realm of physical media. How did that workout for them?

The only thing I want to get on a "physical media" are books. I just like them. Reading on a screen, doesn't matter which one, doesn't even touch the feel of reading a book.

Everything else, I would rather go digital.

The mouse and keyboard is perfect for 80% of games. A controller is perfect for 40% of games. There are some games that mouse+keyboard are better at, and some that controllers are. Fighting games and side scrollers I enjoy more with a controller, but for FPS or MMO type games, it's better with a keyboard or mouse. You can get both to work with all games, but it'll be half assed.

It's not like game controllers are at their best today. I think they got worse.

Sega Genesis controller
- Simple, elegant, and fit my hand perfectly
N64 controller - Felt really great at no matter what I did
Sega Dreamcast - Best controller ever!
Playstation controllers - WTF is L1 and L2? Why does it need two triggers!? Why use shapes? Why not A, B, C like everyone else?
GameCube - Why does this controller look like something that belongs in a preschool?
Xbox controller - WoW this thing is huge, and the D-pad seems nearly useless.
Wiimote - My arm hurts, and the batteries drain fast on this stupid thing. Plus, it has more attachments then Voltron. If anything it's an old 8-bit Nintendo controller that got thicker.

With PC keyboards and Mice they evolved properly. Mice now have lasers and no more balls, and keyboards went from mechanical to regular to mechanical again, given that you can afford mechanical. Oh, and mice now have more then 2 buttons, depending on brand. And there's enough variations to make everyone happy. ;)

When it comes to sales and consumers I would have to agree.

The only thing PC does have is the better graphics and hardware. I play both consoles and PC, and its kinda disappointing for the PC side.

You go to a store and shelf space for the PC is tiny compared to consoles. I think the biggest stigma on PC gaming is cost and performance. You don't have to worry about the specs on your xbox to play gears of war 3.

Consoles are for non computer literate people.
Now, that is if you define computer literate in a term that is actually meaningful.
They know how to fully use a computer, configure , use apps,etc.
This is very different from most people version of what computer literate means; which is they know how to click a few certain things. But if one of their icons are missing; they are totally lost.

This would be incorrect, and that's a common misperception. People are not so stupid these days that they can't handle a computer and simple tasks. There's plenty of casual gamers who also play on PC who own consoles.

Then there's hardcore gamers like me, who own consoles AND a PC.

I think your attempt at using a brush to paint broad strokes of console gamers as a whole has failed the sniff test.

The mouse and keyboard is perfect for 80% of games. A controller is perfect for 40% of games. There are some games that mouse+keyboard are better at, and some that controllers are. Fighting games and side scrollers I enjoy more with a controller, but for FPS or MMO type games, it's better with a keyboard or mouse. You can get both to work with all games, but it'll be half assed.

It's not like game controllers are at their best today. I think they got worse.

Super Nintendo controller
Perfection
Sega Genesis controller - Never owned a Sega, but played one, was not a fan with the button layout.
N64 controller - Felt really great at no matter what I did, I agree with this
Sega Dreamcast - Best controller ever! Never had the fortune to play a Dreamcast extensively, but I did like the Sega Saturn's controller.
Playstation controllers - The epitome of perfect, and "if it aint' broke, don't fix itGameCube - Surprisingly was perfect for some games, like Metroid Prime
Xbox controller - WoW this thing is huge, and the D-pad seems nearly useless. I hated the Xbox controller, Microsoft builds the worst controllers in console history.
Wiimote - My arm hurts, and the batteries drain fast on this stupid thing. Plus, it has more attachments then Voltron. If anything it's an old 8-bit Nintendo controller that got thicker. I somewhat agree with this

I fixed and added on comments here.

I think your attempt at using a brush to paint broad strokes of console gamers as a whole has failed the sniff test.

I was going to comment, but don't remember what it was after I fell off my chair and knocked my head against the ground seeing Fail give someone crap about painting with a broad brush.

My dream: MSFT and Sony both push out next gen consoles with no optical drives.

Then GameStop and the rest can burn. Fuck those guys.

I'm really not sure why gamers still shop at gamestop? :confused:

While I believe Gamestop can burn in hell, my friend DID go all over town to Best buy, Target, Wal Mart, etc, and wasn't able to find a copy of Demon's Souls last week, finally, he walked into Gamestop, not only did they have a copy, but they had a NEW copy, sealed, he bought it, $20 even, sold.

It was the right decision, no matter how distateful :p

My friend even commented that what he did was a Cardinal Sin for a gamer, but it was a necessary evil that he had to deal with in order to get what he wanted. I likened it to Faust dealing with the Devil.

The analogy felt appropriate :p

I second and third the motion that it's laughable to say consoles are the "gold" standard. They're just the standard that Gamestop desperately wants to keep alive, given that PC users have been trained to bypass stores to buy games.

PCs are the gold standard. Every time you hear someone point out how far behind consoles are, that person is treating the PC as the gold standard.

Back