ITC to Investigate HTC Complaint Against Apple

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. International Trade Commission announced today that it has launched an investigation to find out whether Apple is infringing on HTC's intellectual property.

HTC first filed its complaint, the latest against the Cupertino, Calif.-based consumer electronics giant last month, saying Apple was infringing on two of its patents. The Taiwanese handset manufacturer seeks to halt the importation of Apple products into the U.S., as well as compensatory damages, and three times the normal damages for willful infringement.

What goes around comes around. I'm actually rather excited for another company finally taking a bit out of Apple.

The apple has spoiled...time to put it in a trash can.

you guys act like nobody's ever sued Apple before.

someone care to remind me how this is all supposed to be of any benifit to the average consumer again?

someone care to remind me how this is all supposed to be of any benifit to the average consumer again?

Though I doubt it, hopefully, this will get Apple to think about sueing others... but then again, this is a law suit, so maybe it'll just keep on building on, until the only people making money are the lawyers and then the company *might* come the the realization that they're all idiots and that patents should be abolished.

Half of tech companies' business is suing each other. It all works out in the end. I certainly don't expect to see any Apple products pulled because of this.

It restores some sliver of competition. It's not a panacea by any stretch but it does give the makers of Android devices some reprieve from Apple's BS.

Blah Blah Blah.

Company B sues Company A in retaliation because Company A sued Company B first.

It's the same old shit. Lawyers get rich, companies swap IP, agree to disagree on other points, and that's the end of it.

Really guys? Wouldn't it be a hell of a lot cheaper if you were to meet at IHOP for breakfast and talk it out?

I sometimes wonder if it isn't more the retained lawyers for these companies that recommend and push this crap all the time.

I often wonder if all the major tech corps do all this legal wrangling as an act.

Doing all this tit for tat legal stuff must act as a potential warning and disincentive for smaller companies and start-ups to try to get into the market as they could well get a blue letter through the post wanting to wipe them out due to their product involving people "touching something".

If we make it look way too dangerous legally it will stop others trying to muscle in on our markets.

Though I doubt it, hopefully, this will get Apple to think about sueing others... but then again, this is a law suit, so maybe it'll just keep on building on, until the only people making money are the lawyers and then the company *might* come the the realization that they're all idiots and that patents should be abolished.

If the major corporations really wanted to stop this, they could have asked for changes in the most recent patent statues passed a few weeks ago. The fact that the new law essentially does not change litigation is a signal that big business is happy with the status quo. When patent valuations are sky-high (~$700,000 each for Nortel, ~$500,000 each for Motorola Mobility), I don't think any company is interested in abolishing their patents.

Abolishing patents would also require an amendment to the constitution (it's in article 1, section 8).

As a CompSci major AND a Business Economics Major (YAY! COLLEGE GRANTS!) I must ask how suing Apple and winning an injunction against the importation of their devices will help competition? As it stands, we already have a significant example of an oligopoly with MS Windows, Android, MacOSX, And (the conglomeration of) Linux Operating Systems. With the impediment of Apple, and there iOS devices, they would conceivably loose a significant revenue source. Play out the worst case scenario, we lose Apple, and competition becomes LESS varied :)

Annoyance

As a CompSci major AND a Business Economics Major (YAY! COLLEGE GRANTS!) I must ask how suing Apple and winning an injunction against the importation of their devices will help competition?

It won't, but that's not really the point of patent rights. A patent gives you an "exclusive" right to your invention. Meaning that you can exclude others from making, using or selling your invention. It's essentially a limited monopoly.

As a CompSci major AND a Business Economics Major (YAY! COLLEGE GRANTS!) I must ask how suing Apple and winning an injunction against the importation of their devices will help competition?

Apple is suing Android manufacturers to stop their production.

Apple seems to have the upperhand.

What goes around comes around...this suit takes Apple down their own path to nothingness. The only alternative is for Apple to shamefully rescind their claims and make a deal so that tech device life can proceed as normal.

This summer, prepare to be blown away by the biggest action movie of all time

Apple Vs SCO: Who Owns The Existence Of The Universe?

*presented not in 3D but in more D's then either side has lawyers*

Back