Documentary Busted Using Video Game For Fake Footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is terrorist footage from 1988 and "thankfully no one was killed" during the attack? :rolleyes: Really? Really? I know Arma2 wasn't very popular but trying to pass this off as real and hoping no one would notice is just asinine.

Last edited:
It was an accident according to them. Though a pretty weird one if thats gonna be their excuse.

-- "ITV claims to hold actual video of the attack, and plan on replacing the game footage in the documentary."

Hearing impaired here. I'm not able to follow the commentary of the video, but wouldn't it be ok to use a video games to create a model of a scenario that actually took place?

Hearing impaired here. I'm not able to follow the commentary of the video, but wouldn't it be ok to use a video games to create a model of a scenario that actually took place?

That would probably be ok if they indicated it was a recreation of the event. However, the narrator in the video stated that it was actual footage.

did you see on the video where is said "1988 itv footage" or something like that? that, and the audio where the narrator said "in this footage from" and "thankfully no one was killed in this attack" definitely point to them trying to pass it off as real footage. yeah i could see video game footage being used in a documentary, but in this clip they were definitely trying to make it seem like actual IRL footage. i think its pretty hilarious. :p

did you see on the video where is said "1988 itv footage" or something like that? that, and the audio where the narrator said "in this footage from" and "thankfully no one was killed in this attack" definitely point to them trying to pass it off as real footage. yeah i could see video game footage being used in a documentary, but in this clip they were definitely trying to make it seem like actual IRL footage. i think its pretty hilarious. :p

Yeah I did see it actually. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt by passing the video off as a reenactment of an actual event. I guess it wasn't! lol

Not in this case. You can see at the beginning of the game footage at 0:37 that the film is labelled as "IRA film 1988." The narrator also described it as "the terrorist's own footage of 1988." Simulations and models are great so long as there recreation does not claim to be original footage. It's a difference between what actually happened from one camera's perspective and an artist's depiction of what he thinks happened. That's sloppy journalism.

Not in this case. You can see at the beginning of the game footage at 0:37 that the film is labelled as "IRA film 1988." The narrator also described it as "the terrorist's own footage of 1988." Simulations and models are great so long as there recreation does not claim to be original footage. It's a difference between what actually happened from one camera's perspective and an artist's depiction of what he thinks happened. That's sloppy journalism.

I think it's quite impressive that the terrorists were able to play ARMA and run video capture in 1988. Clearly they're more advanced than we thought.

I especially like the bouncing truck at 2:05. Good ol' ArmA2 physics.

And I wouldn't say ArmA2 isn't popular...It's not really "mainstream" is all. There is a huge, dedicated community.

wow, you can see from miles away that it is a game... i am baffled... was there any disgruntled employee around or something? we may never know.

I am going to close this now since many people posting here are not adult enough to not use this as a podium to spout their political agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back