BitTorrent Offers Tech to Decongest ISPs' Networks

HardOCP News

[H] News
BitTorrent's CEO is offering to help ISPs with network congestion. His explanation of TCP is priceless too " This is a lot like driving your car through a school zone and only slowing down after you've struck your first pedestrian." :D

In a speech at the Broadband World Forum here, BitTorrent CEO Eric Klinker tried to build enthusiasm for his company's Micro Transport Protocol, or μTP, an open-source technology that's built into the company's client software for sharing files over peer-to-peer connections. μTP increases network efficiency and addresses congestion--the biggest concern that ISPs raised a few years ago during the heated network neutrality debates, Klinker said.

ha, now the ISP's should have no complaints about people using bit Torrent on there network, but using it for illegal purposes that is a different story.

Maybe soon people I play FFXIV with can update their game in under a week because of packet filtering.

I wonder what will make people use this new "yielding" bit torrent...

The old one ought to be faster, yes? because it doesn't yield and doesn't care about other traffic.

It would seem that unless you can encourage people to switch, its not going to be very effective as all it would take is a few selfish people using the old protocol to ruin it for everyone else...

oh how ironic that my browser sits there with a spinning logo
" Website found, Waiting for reply...." :rolleyes:

Zarathustra[H];1037803173 said:
I wonder what will make people use this new "yielding" bit torrent...

The old one ought to be faster, yes? because it doesn't yield and doesn't care about other traffic.

It would seem that unless you can encourage people to switch, its not going to be very effective as all it would take is a few selfish people using the old protocol to ruin it for everyone else...

Simple, don't use uTP and you get throttled. Use uTP and they don't care. uTP relies on ping to make traffic load assessments, so it's not perfect either, but should approximate it on modern non shitty networks.

I had issues with my internet from December of 2010 to May of 2011. I was seeing major packet loss on first pingable hop outside my network and latency of 8-300ms every other packet.

It took hours of phone conversation and about 6 tech visits to get it resolved, (ended up moving me to DOCSIS 3.0 and getting rid of some bad cabling causing ingress) and my internet has been rock solid since then.

I get a call from Comcast today asking if I'd like to upgrade my internet package, I declined and go figure, I haven't been able to pull >1.0MB/s down since then. Shady. Every single thing I've downloaded in the past 4 months has been at a solid 1.9MB/s.

i was talking with my friends a few years ago about doing this for cable set-top boxes: stream (then cache) content from box to box; the more popular it is the quicker to stream. sounds like a no brainer to me.

Wait, there's a CEO for bittorrent? Why is the RIAA and the MPAA suing end-users? Go after the CEO?

i was talking with my friends a few years ago about doing this for cable set-top boxes: stream (then cache) content from box to box; the more popular it is the quicker to stream. sounds like a no brainer to me.

Don't think cable boxes pass data via IP so that shouldn't help there.

Now for IPTV where you do use TCP/IP that still wouldn't be needed. unless it isn't configured correctly they aren't doing seperate streams for everyone as is. they run a stream only to the agragation point for customers that have a customer trying to what a certain station then broadcast it out to all devices in a given broadcast group. that way it is only streamed once to given point and not multiple streams. so it uses the same amount of bandwidth on your network if 10000000 people are watching a station as it does for 1 person.

BitTorrent's CEO is offering to help ISPs with network congestion. His explanation of TCP is priceless too " This is a lot like driving your car through a school zone and only slowing down after you've struck your first pedestrian." :D

Unfortunately I know some people that drive like that. Interesting tech, need to read up on it.

Back