Austrian Hackers Publish Private Police Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
A group of hackers, going by the name AnonAustria, have published the names and home addresses of the people that will be arresting them next week. :D

An Austrian hackers group has published the names and home addresses of nearly 25,000 police officials, a move critics say compromises the individuals' personal security. Police say the data hacked by AnonAustria contains private information for more than 24,938 law enforcement officials, ranging from beat officers to senior commanders.

Now that public officials have been hit, watch the shit-storm that happens.

When it was just citizens they don't seem to care much.

Why's that? Do you agree that posting these names contributes to the safety of the public at large? Would you like YOUR name and address posted all over the Internet to be a target for threats and crimes?

I'm sure everyone at this site likes hacktivism, but these hacker groups passed that line a LONG time ago. Posting of names, passwords, and credit card info is NOT cool. Stealing customer data is NOT cool. Doing stuff just "for the lulz" without regards to consequences is NOT cool.

Why's that? Do you agree that posting these names contributes to the safety of the public at large? Would you like YOUR name and address posted all over the Internet to be a target for threats and crimes?
While I'm sure most people would not like to have thier names/addresses posted on the web, unless those people have done something to warrant threats and crime, why should they be worried about threats and crime? If the police who's information was leaked are worried about threats and crime, they must have done something wrong to provoke it.

I don't think I care for the smiley that seems to indicate [H] is siding with the criminals on this one.

While I'm sure most people would not like to have thier names/addresses posted on the web, unless those people have done something to warrant threats and crime, why should they be worried about threats and crime? If the police who's information was leaked are worried about threats and crime, they must have done something wrong to provoke it.

Logic fail.

To some criminals, the first thing they did "wrong" was applying for the job. The second was accepting it. :rolleyes:

What is the entire purpose of releasing the names of public workers? I just don't get it besides saying "OMG look what we did!" --- and it really isn't that hard to do, or impressive really.

Someone fill me in as to why this is such big news?

Exactly... a few people here obviously misjudged the first news post here.

I saw it as VERY unbiased input, and rather a joke more than "siding with hackers" -- zeroumus misjudged obviously

I'm old enough to remember a time when there was a book delivered to your door free of charge, it contained the names, addresses, & phone numbers of the vast majority of people in your county.

I fail to see what the big deal is here.

I'm old enough to remember a time when there was a book delivered to your door free of charge, it contained the names, addresses, & phone numbers of the vast majority of people in your county.

Hmmm...I'm old enough to remember you could request to be "Unlisted" to save yourself from threats, harassment, etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, criminals don't need a provocation. A simple glance in their direction is enough.

The fact of the matter is criminals have a faulty set of moral values. Whether it was placed in their laps or they chose that, at some point consequences of their choices need to fall upon the ones making those choices, the criminals.
It is true that non of our law enforcement personnel are perfect, I believe the greater majority of them attempt to uphold the law to the best of their abilities. Yes, mistakes will happen, we are all human. When private information is share such as this, it provides direct access for the criminals AND their families to exercise their own from of retribution. And like many people, both criminal and regular citizens, have problems accepting the consequences of their decisions, myself included. "Oh...it's not my fault...", you know what SUCK IT UP. Throw your d@mn pride in the trash, accept it, learn from it, and move on.
While hacking has it's merits, exposing corruption, security bugs, etc., when it risks the safety of human lives, it gone WAY beyond the line!

I don't like that they don't have any purpose here. This isn't robin hood scenario. They obviously just published it because they found it. Like the End somehow justified the means.

.......so did they say anything about why they released this info? Attention seeker nerds, or is there a truly good motive behind this "hacking" ??? The article is VERY limited, if you even want to call it an article....

They'll all be having a big chatroom circlejerk over their "accomplishment" when the police come and introduce them to reality.

this site anti-hacker stance is a little bit of a turn off
Stop calling them hackers when they are just script kiddies.

Publishing this kind of information is stupid and serves no purpose at all, and could cause someone to get hurt or worse.

I imagine that you would have no problem with this happening to you. Oh, you wouldn't? Then STFU already.

Publishing this kind of information is stupid and serves no purpose at all, and could cause someone to get hurt or worse.

I imagine that you would have no problem with this happening to you. Oh, you wouldn't? Then STFU already.

Personally I'm all for "Fuck the police" acting out when there's an actually issue, but I agree with the script kiddie stuff. I read an article describing how most of these guys function and it seems to match up with reality. They literally fall into access to these databases then just dump them for the publicity most times without even bothering to come up with a legitimate excuse.

It's like if wikileaks posted the helicopter video with a caption of "rofl noobs pwned". They at least took time to pretend to be exposing something.

just for the record, the editted helicopter video wikileaks got famous for was actually editted TWICE to portray the Americans as bad. About a week before they posted it, I watched the ENTIRE helicopter video which portrayed the americans in a much, humaine, double-checking, smart people.... not 2-face killers like wikileaks falsely portrayed them as. And like I always said...if they are so innocent, why are they in the middle of a warfield with their kids, right next to a group of terrorists being shot at? The "journalists'' were clearly in a group with guys holding AK's and RPG7. Clearly.

Not that I disagree, but when you get invaded, it's hard not to be "in the middle of a warfield."

Just like the US gov't definition of "battlefield" - it's wherever we happen to start shooting at you.

no i don't, cuz I have done nothing that someone would want to target me for. if you do want to target me, come get me at 4616 16 a Ave edmonton alberta t6l 2s2

people fear having their information out there for only one reason, they did something to hurt someone.

I don't think I care for the smiley that seems to indicate [H] is siding with the criminals on this one.

I think the smiley is about the JOKE about posting the names of the people that will be arresting them next week.

The police should have nothing to fear if they have nothing to hide, right?

That's what I always hear when they want to invade my privacy for no good reason.

The police should have nothing to fear if they have nothing to hide, right?

That's what I always hear when they want to invade my privacy for no good reason.

Do the Austrian police really harass you that much?

^ Well, if they are police, it's pretty much guaranteed they are or have been harassing Austrians.

Personally I'm all for "Fuck the police" acting out when there's an actually issue, but I agree with the script kiddie stuff. I read an article describing how most of these guys function and it seems to match up with reality. They literally fall into access to these databases then just dump them for the publicity most times without even bothering to come up with a legitimate excuse.

It's like if wikileaks posted the helicopter video with a caption of "rofl noobs pwned". They at least took time to pretend to be exposing something.

Ya I'm gonna put this here.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037486454&postcount=15

Did this mystical book have asterisks next to the ones who were police officers? Or abortionists?

no i don't, cuz I have done nothing that someone would want to target me for. if you do want to target me, come get me at 4616 16 a Ave edmonton alberta t6l 2s2

people fear having their information out there for only one reason, they did something to hurt someone.
"people fear having their information out there for only one reason, they did something to hurt someone"

You are either very naive or just stupid.

People do not need a reason to hurt others. You invalidate your own statement if someone were to take you up on the offer of your address and go there and harm you. There are people in the world like that. Or were you just completely unaware of that fact?

Yes, because having a list of known officers with their names and address is exactly the same as looking through a phone book and knowing exactly which ones are police officers.

I remember a time when people actually used their brains.

Oh, and should I call you at (780) 643-5061, Mr. Breitkreutz?

Calm the fuck down. Yes it's dumb that a list of people get outed because they're police officers. Yes the comparisons between a phone book and a list of officers of where they live at are nowhere comparable to each other. Those people who don't see this is bad should get a fucking grip on reality. Yes officer's lives can be threatened as a result of this because it makes it easier to target. The Lakewood Police shooting where 4 officers were killed at a coffee shop only happened because it was convenient to do so for the guy doing the shooting. A list is convenient for anyone who has the guts to carry out murders at the officer's homes and also against the family as well should that go that far.

Back