F1 2011 Gameplay Performance Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
F1 2011 Gameplay Performance Review - F1 2011 was just recently released, this new game supports DX11 out-of-the-box, and is based on the newer EGO 2.0 game engine, but that may not mean it's all that graphically intense. We test performance on six of today's video cards so you will know what to expect in terms of performance. Comparing to the previous F1 2010, we found some surprises.

Nice. thanks for the testing! i would love to see a comparison between nvidia surround and amd eyefinity for this game.

Thanks for this, as an avid follower of F1 and a daily F1 2010 player this article is much appreciated.

edit: But Lewis Hamilton on the front page of the article? Especially after this last weekend... though I thought he did not deserve that drive-through personally... as much as it pains me to agree with Eddie Jordan about anything... ;)

The same conclusion that I came to for MLAA. If a game doesn't natively support it, the frame rate is literally halved (or worse) when using it. Now where's my GRID 2?

Good article!

... and it must be really annoying when this happens, are you guys going to update the numbers with the 11.8 CAP 5 which are supposed to increase performance in F1 2011 for AMD cards in single configuration?

Good article!

... and it must be really annoying when this happens, are you guys going to update the numbers with the 11.8 CAP 5 which are supposed to increase performance in F1 2011 for AMD cards in single configuration?

A CAP increasing performance for single cards? Link me to this info. Catalyst Application Profiles are for CrossFireX configurations.

So F1 2010 was EGO 1.5, and F1 2011 which looks hardly any different is EGO 2.0?

Erm, I can't believe enough has changed to justify a version number change beyond say: 'EGO 1.9' or something. This is just splitting hairs, though.

Nice review guys!

I don't wish to gatecrash with a rival benchmark here, but these numbers are pretty worryingly low:
img.php

Did [H] run close to any CPU related frame rate limits here? I imagine a 3.6Ghz i7 920 should be able to hold 75-90fps most of the time, but that's not a lot given how fast that CPU is. I think Phenom II and dual core users might struggle a bit with this one. I can only assume there's a great deal of physics calculations going on in the game to cause this.

Dual core user will struggle for sure and not a bit but a lot.. I belive even odler quad core CPUs will have serious fps drop with high end GPUs. Done some benchmarks with low clocked 2600k and fps drop is more than evident.

Nice review like always with game perf. articles.

Thanks for this, as an avid follower of F1 and a daily F1 2010 player this article is much appreciated.

edit: But Lewis Hamilton on the front page of the article? Especially after this last weekend... though I thought he did not deserve that drive-through personally... as much as it pains me to agree with Eddie Jordan about anything... ;)

Im a huge F1 fan since i was little, i watched the singapore race, and i think drive through is spot on for hamilton. he did cost massa an extra pit stop to replace the incident damaged tires, also ruined massa's race strategy.
however for schumi's case, schumi ruined his own race, but did not have any impact on perez's race. therefore a reprimand was issused to him.
stewards were spot on on the penalties.
I have to say, lewis hamilton is a talented driver, but he's lacked of on track discipline has cost him dearly this year. though he might not be able to challenge sebastian for title, but he should be leading second place if he didnt have so many accidents and penalties. i think he needs his dad to be his manager, or get mika hakkinen.

anyway, back to the game, this game looks amazing, if only i have a gaming wheel, and chair, i'd get it. but too much an investment for me to get a decent driving experience.

That appears to mirror something I saw somewhere else for the else EGO2.0 engine game, which is Dirt 3. I looks like the PII folks will do fine so long as they have a quad core with high enough clocks. A CPU limited minimum frame rate of 46fps is not that bad in reality so long as it spends most of its time closer to 60fps. However this graph does indicated that it is getting time for us PII folks to consider upgrading. I myself pretty much demand at least 60fps for racing games as they just feel too laggy anytime they dip below 50. That is just my preference though.

I don't wish to gatecrash with a rival benchmark here, but these numbers are pretty worryingly low:
img.php

Did [H] run close to any CPU related frame rate limits here? I imagine a 3.6Ghz i7 920 should be able to hold 75-90fps most of the time, but that's not a lot given how fast that CPU is. I think Phenom II and dual core users might struggle a bit with this one. I can only assume there's a great deal of physics calculations going on in the game to cause this.

I dunno about you, but for racing games I like a minimum of 60fps, especially if I'm using dual GPU where microstutter comes into play, and that means using 4.9Ghz on a Phenom II - not too many AMD CPUs can achieve that clock let's be honest.

Nice article. Weber is a cheating bastard! You may want to work on cleaner passes though.

Can any of you guys comment on the controls?

I tested F1 2010 with a pad, and I felt the controls were insensitive and not very accurate. It ruined the game feel enough for me to not buy it, even if I usually are fond of racing sims.

NFS Shift and GTR Evolution are still my nr 1 sims.

Anyone?

I wont buy it Until Crossfire is working, otherwise i will play one of the other 5 racing games i have that are worthy hehe.

A CAP increasing performance for single cards? Link me to this info. Catalyst Application Profiles are for CrossFireX configurations.

Its sometimes also for single cards. :)
9-2-11 CAP:

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – Improves performance on Single GPU configurations
War Inc Battle Zone - Resolves image corruption seen when enabling Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center
Call of Juarez The Cartel - Improves CrossFire performance
Rome Total War - Disables CrossFire support
F1 2011:
Improves performance on Single GPU configurations

Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 - Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center now works
LA Noire - Improves CrossFire performance
Need for Speed World – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD : The First Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD Demo: The First Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD : The Second Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Deus Ex3: Human Revolution(DX9) - Improves CrossFire performance
Shaun White Skateboarding - Improves CrossFire performance
MaxPayne3 - Improves CrossFire performance

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798

On a side note, there might be another cap with improvements for this game:

CatalystCreator23sept said:
Still working on CAP update for RO2, and looking at F12011 as well
https://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator

Last edited:
I wonder why they take out CF support for so many titles each revision? They can't surely be just making room, but on the other side, it would seem surprising that so many games would be bugged and need CF removing.

I wonder why they take out CF support for so many titles each revision? They can't surely be just making room, but on the other side, it would seem surprising that so many games would be bugged and need CF removing.

I wondered the same, so I did a google. Spyre, a beta tester and AMD forum admin, explains it like this:

Rome Total War & expansions has flickering mini maps on the battle screens unless Crossfire is disabled plus those games are DX8 so do not benefit from Crossfire anyway.

Serious Sam HD 1 & 2 both crash eventually when near water unless Crossfire is deactivated. This also occurs with Nvidia SLI and is a game issue.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=350397

Use RadeonPRO and force it if needed. :)

Hmm, I never had any crashing issues with HD1 with crossfire enabled that I remember. The frame rate was absolutely pants if you manually maxed out all the video settings though, and the game didn't look any better for it... weird.

Too bad the game doesn't support FXAA. Hopefully a future patch could.

The same conclusion that I came to for MLAA. If a game doesn't natively support it, the frame rate is literally halved (or worse) when using it. Now where's my GRID 2?

FXAA and MLAA in game runs natively on pixel shaders. AMD driver based MLAA runs on directx 11 compute shaders which doesn't seem to be very efficient for this application. Though it does help nicely to lock out non DX11 cards and operating system.

For modern techniques like that, I don't think DX11 exclusivity is much to be concerned with, non-DX11 graphics hardware is aging quite significantly now, and likewise, very few people who take games seriously are still stuck in the Windows XP era.

For modern techniques like that, I don't think DX11 exclusivity is much to be concerned with, non-DX11 graphics hardware is aging quite significantly now, and likewise, very few people who take games seriously are still stuck in the Windows XP era.

I more concerned about using inefficient techniques because hardware vendors wants to help user upgrade.

While this is perhaps true, F1 2011 is far from the top of the performance requirement tables. If anything, it's the CPUs you need to be worried about with this title.

It thought it was nice to see someone besides Vettel on front for a change. ;)

"Codemasters Birmingham"?!? Is this for the people who think all of the UK is either London or Birmingham?

Codemasters exists on a farm near Southam (close to Coventry)

While this is perhaps true, F1 2011 is far from the top of the performance requirement tables. If anything, it's the CPUs you need to be worried about with this title.

Yes. Very bad coding this game and F1 2010. My i5 2500k clocked at 4.9ghz with 2133mhz memory still bottlenecks 5850 @ 1ghz! Only 75% GPU usage.

"Codemasters Birmingham"?!? Is this for the people who think all of the UK is either London or Birmingham?

Codemasters exists on a farm near Southam (close to Coventry)

Codemasters Southam is a different department. Codemasters Birmingham is located in Edgbaston, which I think you could get away with calling Birmingham :p

Its sometimes also for single cards. :)
9-2-11 CAP:

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – Improves performance on Single GPU configurations
War Inc Battle Zone - Resolves image corruption seen when enabling Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center
Call of Juarez The Cartel - Improves CrossFire performance
Rome Total War - Disables CrossFire support
F1 2011:
Improves performance on Single GPU configurations

Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 - Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center now works
LA Noire - Improves CrossFire performance
Need for Speed World – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD : The First Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD Demo: The First Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Serious Sam HD : The Second Encounter – Disable CrossFire support
Deus Ex3: Human Revolution(DX9) - Improves CrossFire performance
Shaun White Skateboarding - Improves CrossFire performance
MaxPayne3 - Improves CrossFire performance

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798

On a side note, there might be another cap with improvements for this game:

https://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator

Looks like I jumped the gun a little... CAP 5 is not released "officially" yet ;)

-

Yes. Very bad coding this game and F1 2010. My i5 2500k clocked at 4.9ghz with 2133mhz memory still bottlenecks 5850 @ 1ghz! Only 75% GPU usage.

This seems to be the case with a lot of cross-platform/console ports. Maybe it's easier to translate the code on to the CPU than the GPU or something, although I'm not sure why that would be (since the consoles basically have a GPU+CPU too).

This seems to be the case with a lot of cross-platform/console ports. Maybe it's easier to translate the code on to the CPU than the GPU or something, although I'm not sure why that would be (since the consoles basically have a GPU+CPU too).

My understanding from talking with people in the field is that when programing on consoles you can talk (more) directly to the hardware (think 1980's style programing) because of their closed architecture the risk of an unwanted side-effect is much lower. Whereas PC's today you have to talk through the graphics driver creating something akin to a HAL layer. Saying it's a bit of an annoyance would be QUITE an understatement. So it's much easier to pass the code through the CPU instead when porting code.

Can anyone comment on how well this one supports 3 screens with AMD Eyefinity and/or nVidia Surround? I have F1 2010 and it supported 3 screens very well at launch, but after a patch it borked the menu area. Still works in races, but having to switch back and forth between window mode and fullscreen is just annoying.

Can anyone comment on how well this one supports 3 screens with AMD Eyefinity and/or nVidia Surround? I have F1 2010 and it supported 3 screens very well at launch, but after a patch it borked the menu area. Still works in races, but having to switch back and forth between window mode and fullscreen is just annoying.

eyefinity works fine for me except i have to go into the graphics options when initally loading the game to correct the aspect ratio. i dont have to change any options, just open up the menu and the aspect ratio automatically corrects itself.

crossfire is broken right now, so don't even bother with that.

Back