Assembly Guide: Spotswood Open air bench cases

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
For anyone here that not in the "know", our very own Spotswood has launched his own custom series of custom open air cases build specifically for testers, F@H, and BTC Miners, or people that just want something different.

My last guide about these cases was very lacking, and there are some new features on the new cases, so I figured I would just go all out and made their own guide/discussion thread.

The Boxen
If Mr spots ever decides to stop making his cases, Im sure he could have a job as an Ikea product packing engineer. How he manages to fit so many parts into such a small box is beyond me..
IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

Everything contained withing is either individually wrapped, in a baggie, or taped to something else to prevent it from moving around.

IMAG0140.jpg

With everything removed you are left with a pile of stuff that should look similar to this.
(Provided you ordered a Double stack with a lid)

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

As you can see , the bases for each rig and the top will come pre-assembled and ready for mounting. I love the brushed steel finish. There is no outer coating or anything so they are just bare metal, very cold, and very stiff.

(My first Lid)
IMAG0138.jpg

(ATX cut base)
IMAG0144.jpg

Now that everything is out of the box, its time to get over your assembly fear as these things are a piece of cake to assemble.. I really don't even know why I'm making an assembly guide, these things practically put themselves together since spotswood leaves all the screws in, and in just the right places, its almost completely self explanatory.

Step One - Assign the Bottom, Mount Feet
If you got more than one case, obviously one base will have to be the bottom, it does not matter which one you grab as either one will work fine. First thing you want to do is grab your 8 Rubber feet and slide 4 in on each side. Be sure not to cover up the post mounting holes on each corner.
IMAG0154-1.jpg

Step Two - Mount your Stand-offs
Each base is pre-drilled with holes to fit all the close standard sizes of your board. In my case, Im using ATX/Full ATX boards. I grab my board and hold it above the holes enough to line it up, and then I mark each one with a sharpie and then put the board away. The standoffs are technically 3 pieces. 2 Screw from underneath, the stand off, and then another screw to hold the motherboard to it. Just get the holes you need pegged in from the bottom and TIGHTEN THEM.
IMAG0155-1.jpg

IMAG0156.jpg

Step Three - Install Main legs
Each case will come with 5 legs, 1 for each corner, and 1 for the front between the motherboard and PSU. They are installed by sliding the Screw/leg in to where you can see the screw head thru the pre drilled holes. Tighten each one as you go along as there is never a need to leave these lose or try and move them. They are corners, they never move and never need to be turned.
IMAG0157-1.jpg

IMAG0159-1.jpg

Step Four - Mount your Board
While not absolutely required to even mount the board during the assembly process, it is a bit easier to get it in here now because if you are installing the rear video card riser the rise can get in the way later and may require moving. This just makes it easier since I plan on fully completing my rig now.
IMAG0161.jpg

Step Five - Mounting and Leveling your Front and Rear Video Risers
This step gets to show off Spotswood nifty little feature he added into Gen-2 of his cases, and it work surprising well. Previously there was jsut a measured and pre drilled hole that you would have to mount your rear riser in, and while It worked, my last one was a very close call and I had to flip the cross bar from the back to the front to get them to sit properly.. This is not an Issue any longer. There are 2 of the little square nuts pre installed into the base (Youve probably been hearing them slide back and forth during assembly), The legs have the hardware mounted sideways in them so that you can slide the arm from one side of the case to the other so it can be positioned any place you want it.

Heres the nut that slides around, Its not removable unless you take the base apart.
IMAG0143-1.jpg

Get it set in the right place
IMAG0162-1.jpg

Pic of just the rear riser legs mounted in place
IMAG0169.jpg

Screw it down!
I was worried that these would be a pain in the ass to install, but the tool is long enough to stick down in the top to tighten it down.
IMAG0163-1.jpg

That takes care of the mid/rear rise, now install the front one. Its just 2 screws to mount it. However, by design there are 2 screw in the top that allow you to slightly separate the 2 beams so you can pinch down on the front of the video card.
IMAG0173-1.jpg

IMAG0172-1.jpg

Be sure to check your clearance and you generally are gonna need about 1" over the CPU fan if you want to mount around it

IMAG0179-1.jpg

Step Six - Rubber Feets
This is also a Gen-2 addon, something simple and I took it upon myself to kinda screw it up. You get 2 sheets of 8 dots to keep your PSU from sliding around and keep your HDD elevated.

PSU Dots
IMAG0174-1.jpg

HDD Dots
IMAG0186-1.jpg

Some of you may be scratching your head at the HDD dots pic. I ended up using both sheets od dots on 1 case (And will have to go get more) because I liked this way better. As you can see, There are now sufficient dots for holding a 2.5 or a 3.5 HDD.

IMAG0187-1.jpg

IMAG0188-1.jpg

Step Seven - Im your biggest fan!
I custom ordered some extra pieces for my case, side rails and a rear rail for mounting up my fans. The fans use a short screw to mount into the rail and a long screw to maunt thru the fan. I found to to be easier to pre the fan rail and THEN mount the fan on.

IMAG0176-1.jpg

IMAG0177-1.jpg

IMAG0178-1.jpg

IMAG0181-1.jpg

IMAG0182-1.jpg

Right now you should have something that looks like this
IMAG0185.jpg

Step Eight - Put in all your cards, hook up all your devices
(I dont have all my parts, so im leaving this blank for now)
(Also, dont forget, these cases do not come with a power button. So unless you want to start it with a screw driver, order some power switches)

(Not Included)
IMAG0209.jpg

Step Nine - Connect your Cases
Since 8 is not done, I cannot really do 9, however here is how they look stacked together right now.
IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

Step X - Voltron
If you already have any more cases, they will stack together..

voltron.jpg

Last edited:
So the PSU and HDDs don't actually screw into anything?

I am liking the looks of these more and more actually.

Remade some of the pictures to make this thing look a little more "Guidey"..
Should have all my parts mid next week to finish the guide, then Voltron it next weekend.

Back