Magnets On Your Brain May Keep You From Lying

HardOCP News

[H] News
Magnets on the brain may keep you from lying? What? Where are the magnets that keep people from getting grants for BS studies like this? :rolleyes:

A new study shows that strategically-placed magnetic stimulation could potentially prevent your brain from being dishonest. Estonian researchers at the University of Tartu used a process known as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to determine the parts of the brain responsible for truthfulness and deceit. By stimulating these areas, the scientists were able to promote either an honest answer or a lie.

Do they fit them to the bumps on the skull? Liars always have certain bumps on the cranium, you know.

I predict Steve wakes up tomorrow morning wearing strangly heavy headgear and his significant other holding a digital voice recorder

(almost wrote tape recorder, but that is sooo 20-ith century :rolleyes: )

Magnetism can be used to turn off sections of the brain, well disrupt them anyways, there is a lot of research into this as an alternative form of treatment for epilepsy. Just shut off the malfunctioning parts and the person can go a few months without meds.

I'm sure they could probably turn off portions of the brain which would make it more likely for them to respond truthfully. Like perhaps the creative portions used when making up a lie, or the area that controls inhibitions.

I suggest that just in case this actually works, we implant a set in every current and future member of Congress.

TMS should be required for all who enter politics.

Magnetism can be used to turn off sections of the brain, well disrupt them anyways, there is a lot of research into this as an alternative form of treatment for epilepsy. Just shut off the malfunctioning parts and the person can go a few months without meds.

I'm sure they could probably turn off portions of the brain which would make it more likely for them to respond truthfully. Like perhaps the creative portions used when making up a lie, or the area that controls inhibitions.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of confusion between magnetic waves and localized EMP's. You can shut off sections of the brain by directing pulses at them (It's a big metal plate pressed against the side of your head). One demonstration they showed the guy getting smarter by shutting off unnecessary parts of the brain, which effectively turned him into a savant. Smart is a relative term from a savants perspective tho.

Looking at that, i suppose it's possible that if you cripple the brain enough, you won't be creative enough to make up a lie.

I'm not sure how you're supposed to use it to induce a lie tho.

Lying is a complex mental process, requiring significant processing power to accomplish. Magnets can fuck with your brain. Conclusion = obvious. I imagine slapping someone up side the head has the same effect.

Lying is an art form that takes skill and quick thinking to execute seamlessly. I wouldn't dare have some magnetic field willingly and intentionally disrupt my mental process.

We're all running around like fkin' Wolverine... Magneto has the jump on us... stupid.

Back