ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3?

ACallander

Weaksauce
Good motherboard to get? Great for gaming, design, and overclocking?

I have Corsair Vengence DDR3 8GB 1600 RAM. Intel i5 2500K.

I just posted the same question about the Z68 version of this board right above you :D

The one thing I have read is that the Z68 version can use the onboard graphics of the i5-i7 k series chips so if you blow out a video card you can still run the computer without seraching for spare card which is a problem I have run into a few times.

There are really 3 differences between the P67 chipset and the Z68 chipset.

-Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology) also known as SSD caching.

-Support for the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) allows you to use the IGP for back up graphics and if the board has the Lucidlogix Virtu software can switch between the Intel Quick Sync and the dedicated video to give best performance on the application you are using.

-Intel SATA III controller.

On most Z68 boards (Gigabyte has some that dont support the IGP) you have all of this advantages over P67 boards.

I'm running the Extreme3 Gen3 and it has been excellent for me and my 2600k. 5ghz at 1.46v isn't too bad. I'm even using the same cooler as you. I'm running at 4.5 @ 1.38v

I have the Extreme4 Gen3 - i5 2500K & the 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 ram.

It has been running stable at 4.5GHz on air at 1.32v (I began at 1.35v and been lowering it since)

update - on this board - i'm running 4.5ghz at 1.272v - down from 1.32v - stable @ prime95 for 1hr.

going to run prime95 overnight just to be sure (8-10hrs)

is 4.5GHz at 1.272v relatively good? - certainly better than 1.35v or 1.32v that i originally tested.

That's great only a little over stock for that overclock. My 2600k needs more v-core to get stable. :(

kaekae, lord to me that looks like you have a very nice chip there...hows the temps at those volts?

kaekae, lord to me that looks like you have a very nice chip there...hows the temps at those volts?

Hey - using HWMonitor and Prime 95 testing.

After 8 hours the max temp was 59c - idle it's 32c.

All using the 212+ with 1 fan.

I don't want to push it any farther then 4.5GHz at the moment - but 4.5GHz stable at 1.272v looks like I have some head room?

man id say so...be a fun chip to play with.....ought to check around and see what voltages others are getting for mhz.....your temps look great....
i have a x58 rig and im real familiar with this setup...

man id say so...be a fun chip to play with.....ought to check around and see what voltages others are getting for mhz.....your temps look great....
i have a x58 rig and im real familiar with this setup...

I'm really looking forward to Battlefield 3 on this rig @ 4.5GHz.

In the mean time I'm going to start saving $$$ for the Corsair H100. I have a case that would fit it perfectly in a push/pull set up.

I think with water cooling and maybe bumping my V-core up to around 1.37-1.4v I could get 5GHZ+ stable.

However, I really don't want to upgrade CPU,MOBO & RAM for another 3 years so I may just leave it at 4.5-4.8GHz and less voltage so I don't burn the chip up.

We shall see :D

good idea at 4.5v with less volts...difference really wont even be noticeable....you got a lucky one..
ive got a golden 920 that does 4.0 with 1.27v stable....gotta love the good luck..

Just got mine put together and its a beast...

SDC11732.jpg

SDC11741.jpg

SDC11746.jpg

Does PCI 3 really have an advantage to be future proof right now?

Is this really an advantage?

-Intel® SRT (Smart Response Technology) also known as SSD caching

we will have to wait and see...
What I wanna know is how to make this thing boot faster without having an SSD...

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 along with Intel i5 2500K. By the way that looks excellent man! Great job!

Does PCI 3 really have an advantage to be future proof right now?

Not really* but as long as it isn't more expensive there's no reason to not have it.

* Two pci-ex 3.0 gpus in SLI will have same bandwidth as two x16 pci ex 2.0 here so it might be important for some people.

Back