Satellite Expected to Crash to Earth

HardOCP News

[H] News
What is thirty five feet long, weighs 12,500 pounds and is hurtling towards earth as we speak? Who cares? Scientists say the odds of it hitting you are slim...even though they don't know where or when it is going to hit. :eek:

NASA personnel are keeping a very close eye on some six tons of space junk hurtling toward Earth. The Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, also known as UARS, is expected to fall out of the sky by the end of this week, and scientists say it will break into pieces as it gets closer to Earth. But where will they land -- and should we be worried?

If you get hit by a piece of this thing, then I would say its probably your time to go anyway.

Something like 26 pieces it's supposed to break into. The largest being 350lbs. BTW, the odds of hitting a $100 lottery winner are less than the 1:3500 or so change of some parts hitting anyone :D (Yes, I know, one is expected result for one person in event, the other is event over billions, but still kinda fun to throw out there :D)

are you saying the odds the satellite hitting someone who won $100 in the lottery is 1:3500?

....eh worth the risk.

This part-failure of a project lost its ability to use its manuvering capabilities only 2 years into the project. Luck would have it that it was still able to fulfill most of its mission program.

Pretty much this is the OMG Ozone hole project. Wanting to know all about chlorine etc.

This part-failure of a project lost its ability to use its manuvering capabilities only 2 years into the project. Luck would have it that it was still able to fulfill most of its mission program.

Pretty much this is the OMG Ozone hole project. Wanting to know all about chlorine etc.

In that case.. I would laugh if one or more pieces of it hit some eco zealot(s).

Could be like in Donnie Darko where a huge airplane engine lands on your room.

Or like on Weeds, where a huge freight container from an airplane falls and you have a crap load of 20 oz Diet Coke's.

If it hit you, it would be like winning the lottery for the surviving family, if they sue.
Otherwise, we'll all be food for maggots sooner or later.

I wish some of it would land in my backyard....so I sell it on ebay. :D

I wish some of it would land in my backyard....so I sell it on ebay. :D

That weight and speed would oblitherate your house and land, unless you have something like over 50 acres.

That weight and speed would oblitherate your house and land, unless you have something like over 50 acres.
Well in that case I hope some lands on one of my parents fields, they have about 65 acres so I guess they would be safe.

If there is any justice in this world it'll land on Snookie's head. Or anyone from the cast of Jersey Shore.

If there is any justice in this world it'll land on Snookie's head. Or anyone from the cast of Jersey Shore.

One can wish

Good luck enforcing that if it lands in of the countries that aren't on "speaking terms" with US.gov.

Would there really be that many in its target range? Last i heard it will hit between northern Canada and southern South America.

I survived Skylab.. am hoping I can dodge a bullet.. I mean.. satellite again!

j8cov1101790716c.jpg

One can wish

Would there really be that many in its target range? Last i heard it will hit between northern Canada and southern South America.

Hugo Chavez or El Presidente or ....whoever :D

I hope one of the solar panels lands on my property. I've been wanting to go off grid, I just can't afford it, but if a shiny new (to me) panel lands in my yard, you bet damn right I'll use it. I'm guessing it would not be in a usable condition though. :p

The ~3000 odds number is complete nonsense and not accurate. Brian Williams (NBC news) explained it well last night at 6.

The odds are MUCH HIGHER (obviously). The odds of getting struck by lightning were said to be 1 in a million this year. And the entire reason they came up with that number is based off of the % of ocean water on earth. They factored that out,and that's how they got this unusual ~3500 number.

It's not accurate... you are more likely to win the Mega Powerball than to get hit by this crap(literally space crap :D) .

Finally, the NASA spokeswoman on TV said they don't even know where, WHAT DAY it will hit (they said Thursday-Saturday, lol), or how many pieces it will blow up into because it could potentially run into one of the other THOUSANDS of space junk pieces orbitting our planet. She said it could be 30, but once it hits another space junk piece, it could multiply and increase these "odds" lol.

They had a globe and said it was going to hit between HERE and HERE. The top of the 1st HERE was Northern Canada, the southern HERE was the bottom of South America..... ROFL! Clueless much?

You can't. Legally it belongs to the U.S government.

First off, you can because they are so clueless they don't know where it will even land, let alone a single piece.

Second, I don't think it belongs to the US Government because they lost all control over it. They will have double-standards for sure I'm guessing..... Oh, nothing bad happened to your house? ITS ours!

Oh, your house is damaged and we need to pay for the damage? It's not ours any more!

How would that go in court? Imagine,:D

The chance of winning $100 on Powerball, ~1:13,600 , chance of someone on Earth getting hit by debris from this satellite ~1:3500 :D

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_prizes.asp

Sigh.. the 3500 number is odds of people on land.

Meaning, if every living person on earth scattered evenly across the surface area on earth (pretty much impossible AND not ever going to happen) -- than the odds would be 3,500.

But since most of the land from North Canada to Argentina (where they said it will land) is not habitable, the odds are obviously much higher in reality for someone to get hit by something.

I bet tons of people will record this sighting onto youtube, and they will find little worthless pieces of metal fragments, if any.

The ~3000 odds number is complete nonsense and not accurate. Brian Williams (NBC news) explained it well last night at 6.

The odds are MUCH HIGHER (obviously). The odds of getting struck by lightning were said to be 1 in a million this year. And the entire reason they came up with that number is based off of the % of ocean water on earth. They factored that out,and that's how they got this unusual ~3500 number.

It's not accurate... you are more likely to win the Mega Powerball than to get hit by this crap(literally space crap :D) .

Finally, the NASA spokeswoman on TV said they don't even know where, WHAT DAY it will hit (they said Thursday-Saturday, lol), or how many pieces it will blow up into because it could potentially run into one of the other THOUSANDS of space junk pieces orbitting our planet. She said it could be 30, but once it hits another space junk piece, it could multiply and increase these "odds" lol.

They had a globe and said it was going to hit between HERE and HERE. The top of the 1st HERE was Northern Canada, the southern HERE was the bottom of South America..... ROFL! Clueless much?

Hence the comment I made AND the disclaimer of said manipulation for shits and giggles factor. Statistics are designed to be manipulated. :D

Sigh.. the 3500 number is odds of people on land.

Meaning, if every living person on earth scattered evenly across the surface area on earth (pretty much impossible AND not ever going to happen) -- than the odds would be 3,500.

But since most of the land from North Canada to Argentina (where they said it will land) is not habitable, the odds are obviously much higher in reality for someone to get hit by something.

I bet tons of people will record this sighting onto youtube, and they will find little worthless pieces of metal fragments, if any.

Sigh back at ya:

Weazmeister said:
(Yes, I know, one is expected result for one person in event, the other is event over billions, but still kinda fun to throw out there )

You can't. Legally it belongs to the U.S government.

Ok, now let's see them prove it's actually from their satellite....this ought to be fun, considering it's scorched beyond all recognition. :D

I wonder why they just made up this fake number.

All the news groups on TV (esp Faux News & women-driven HLN News) are fear mongering out the ass with it! LOL.

I wonder why they just made up this fake number.

All the news groups on TV (esp Faux News & women-driven HLN News) are fear mongering out the ass with it! LOL.

That's exactly why they put it out there. If they put the real probability of a person getting hit by any space debris out there, do you think the news would bother? Fear mongering = news nowadays.

And the obligatory:

If I get hit by a piece of this thing I'll sue (provided I survive that is)! :p

Back