[WARM] Intel I5-2500k $199@SuperBiiz

I don't even have the rest of the system yet lol, but I haven't seen a price this low in the last month so I jumped on it, only price I saw close was the $179 B&M deal at Microcenter.

This sounds like one of those rare deals for us poor bastards who don't have a MC/Fry's near us.

This sounds like one of those rare deals for us poor bastards who don't have a MC/Fry's near us.

I am so grateful to have two fry's near me. Snagged one of these for $150 this summer there. Still feel any discount on a CPU is a good deal though since that is the one component that rarely ever gets any.

Sweet deal. I was able to pick up my 2500k last month for cheaper used but I would have totally jumped on this if i didnt. I have a frys not to far from my parents house. But my college is out in the boonies so i gotta buy everything online.

I am waiting for deals in the $175 range. :) Black Friday coming up fairly soon too. I think I am going to hold off a system upgrade till then.

What's the real difference between the 2500K and the 2600K?

Just the stock frequency and the extra 2MB cache on the 2600K right?
Just wondering the real world difference (can you even feel the extra 2MB cache)?

For gaming the difference is neligible. For everything else you should see a nice boost over the 2500k if you decide to go with the 2600k..

I own a 2600k myself and I doubt for what I mostly do (gaming) I probably wouldn't tell the difference if I dropped down to a 2500k.

2500k is more than fine for everything nowdays. Still havent been able to make it sweet yet.

Is a 32nm quad core missing Hyper-threading really a big disadvantage though?

For gaming, no. In fact, HT can lower bench scores sometimes, and games can fall in that category. Not that you'd ever notice the difference, and all things equal the 2600k is a better chip, but most of us can pocket the $80 - $100 and literally lose nothing. (Heck, sink it into a better GPU.)

Seriously, what was the last thing you did (other than stress testing) that actually loaded 4+ cores to 100%? If that's "every day, all day" the 2600k is the obvious choice, if it's only rarely like most people, the 2500k is more than enough.

Thanks OP, may be in for one meself.

Back