Google+ Posts Drop by 41 Per Cent

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It looks like Google’s CEO isn’t the only one not posting on Google’s new Google+ service. Usage on the service is down a whopping 41% from the spike from the highest usage soon after release. A flash in the pan or just a deep breath before another rush of an onslaught of new users who are hoarding their invitations?

The decrease comes despite the huge clamor for invites when the service first launched over the summer.

Hopefully it will pick back up once they no longer require invites. I'm still seeing posts from all the people I care to see posts from, so thats all that matters to me.

In my particular case it doesn't do anything that Facebook and Twitter don't already do...and I don't feel like hunting down all of my friends (again...) and trying to find all of the businesses I keep up with (again...) until Facebook and Twitter become a mess.
I understand that it's different, but for many (dare I say "most") users I see it just duplicating what FB and Twitter already do just fine.

It works a lot better than facebook for photographers. Other than photographers though, the place is pretty deserted, unfortunately.

I like G+ a lot more than FB. If they stop making it so exclusive soon it has a chance of taking off, but at the moment it's just early-adopters. Barren.

Everyone is just on FB now and no one gives a fuck about another social networking site, me included. G+ might be "better" but without hundreds of millions of users it's pointless. Anyone trying to go against FB now has got to have something more than better technology, they need an angle.

Silly me, thinking initially it was a social networking site. Once they made it clear that it was an 'identity service' that does everything to out your real name... yah, that got old fast.

I am exclusively on G+ now, but most of the time I just don't feel like posting anything. Its not because I would rather post it on Facebook.

How do you get rid of Apps on G+? Cuz when I tried, I accidently cancelled my G+. I was aware of what it said but I thought it might not be the case since the direction was what came up when I looked for getting rid of apps. But it wasn't...

uh, the Google+ service is not officially public yet.

hard to get the "max amount" when you need to have a ]-[ookup to get in.

and google+ only advertising has been word of mouth and a couple concerts..... facebook is spammed all over every fucking thing. That's one main reason a lot of people (me especially) loathe facebook. i cannot stand product placement that isn't real or geniune. Facebook rules fake hidden product placement ads, even more than Apple on the NBC business channel!

Not to mention Google+ is better and has been copied by the "big 2" in social media.... and its growth rate is faster than facebook has been, even with it still being in 'beta' invite-only!

LOL, get real and get your facts straight.

In my particular case it doesn't do anything that Facebook and Twitter don't already do...and I don't feel like hunting down all of my friends (again...) and trying to find all of the businesses I keep up with (again...) until Facebook and Twitter become a mess.
I understand that it's different, but for many (dare I say "most") users I see it just duplicating what FB and Twitter already do just fine.

+ (really wanted a Google+ button here,lol), anyway, i don't find the reason to transfer as well, its not like FB is a mess like myspace was when FB arrived. unless that day comes (FB being as bad as myspace was), I'll be with FB as well, that or all my friends have transferred as well, I don't know about the "because its still limited", I was pretty certain all my friends (and most of their friends) had invites from google+, I noticed all of them held up their status messages something like "moving to Google+, goodbye FB", but after a week or two they just silently updated their stuff on FB,lol

How do you get rid of Apps on G+? Cuz when I tried, I accidently cancelled my G+. I was aware of what it said but I thought it might not be the case since the direction was what came up when I looked for getting rid of apps. But it wasn't...

you don't install any apps... it's that simple.

uh, the Google+ service is not officially public yet.

hard to get the "max amount" when you need to have a ]-[ookup to get in.

and google+ only advertising has been word of mouth and a couple concerts..... facebook is spammed all over every fucking thing. That's one main reason a lot of people (me especially) loathe facebook. i cannot stand product placement that isn't real or geniune. Facebook rules fake hidden product placement ads, even more than Apple on the NBC business channel!

Not to mention Google+ is better and has been copied by the "big 2" in social media.... and its growth rate is faster than facebook has been, even with it still being in 'beta' invite-only!

LOL, get real and get your facts straight.

LOL, feisty :)

Even Google can't defeat fb.

laughable comment, google+ is just getting started.

that's like saying back in 2009... "wow even facebook won't defeat myspace! ''

google+ will drastically drop facebooks value in 2012, and i hope it tanks causing the public IPO of facebook to be under $50 (where it actually should be according to real worth)

Silly me, thinking initially it was a social networking site. Once they made it clear that it was an 'identity service' that does everything to out your real name... yah, that got old fast.

Facebook is an identity service too, you just don't know it. If you make a profile on Facebook with a fake name, and someone reports you, the profile is deleted. They don't inform you or allow you to ever get it back, its just gone. Happened to a few people I know.

Also, I would like to point out this quote from the article:
Our data indicates that the average number of public Google+ posts per day has decreased from 0.68 public posts per day between 19 July 2011 and 19 August 2011 to 0.40 public posts per day between 19 August 2011 and 14 September 2011.

Google+ is not Twitter, you don't shout everything to the world. There is no reason to make a public post, unless you are writing a long article and you want people without Google+ accounts to be able to read it. Most people just select "All Circles", or the specific circle they want.

Their data indicates..... well their data is fucking wrong anyways.

They cannot see all the posts... Google+ has invented circles so you can show posts to the people you want to show them, not everyone like facebook has (or.. was like facebook.... until they copied Google+ circles, which i just explained.... LOL)

Their data indicates..... well their data is fucking wrong anyways.

They cannot see all the posts... Google+ has invented circles so you can show posts to the people you want to show them, not everyone like facebook has (or.. was like facebook.... until they copied Google+ circles, which i just explained.... LOL)
Dude, go beat off or something and take care of that hard-on you seem to have for FB, damn.

Like I told you before, in the end your precious G+ will be no different than FB is now. I can already see the start of it once they added in games that have the same "spamming" capabilities that FB games have.

As for the FB copying the G+ circles, again like I told you before, FB has had the ability to make groups and add people to them based on different needs. Quite similar to what G+ has with the "circles" thing, but FB had the groups first.
Not that I really care but damn dude, lol.

Dude, go beat off or something and take care of that hard-on you seem to have for FB, damn.

Like I told you before, in the end your precious G+ will be no different than FB is now. I can already see the start of it once they added in games that have the same "spamming" capabilities that FB games have.

As for the FB copying the G+ circles, again like I told you before, FB has had the ability to make groups and add people to them based on different needs. Quite similar to what G+ has with the "circles" thing, but FB had the groups first.
Not that I really care but damn dude, lol.

Great, now I get to look like a Google+ fanboy too, even though I don't really like any of the social networking websites (I tolerate Google+ because I can follow tech journalists, and I tolerate Facebook because my friends post pictures there, I don't post much of anything on either of them, and Twitter can DIAF for all I care).

In Google+ you only see spam about games when you are in the game, they don't fill your feed with it like Facebook does (thank fucking god, it took me 4 months on Facebook to finally hide every game related post from my feed)

Facebook groups are nothing like circles, you should try using a product before making up facts about it.

Not that I really care, but damn dude.

Great, now I get to look like a Google+ fanboy too, even though I don't really like any of the social networking websites (I tolerate Google+ because I can follow tech journalists, and I tolerate Facebook because my friends post pictures there, I don't post much of anything on either of them, and Twitter can DIAF for all I care).

In Google+ you only see spam about games when you are in the game, they don't fill your feed with it like Facebook does (thank fucking god, it took me 4 months on Facebook to finally hide every game related post from my feed)

Facebook groups are nothing like circles, you should try using a product before making up facts about it.

And what exactly is different about groups and circles other than the name?

i'm not going to sign up for some service with Google that i dislike just to figure out how their description fails in every way given that they describe the EXACT same thing for a circle as what a group does in facebook.

The game part I didnt know about, I tried 1 game and left it. So you got me on that one, lol.

As for the FB "groups" being SIMILAR, yes I said similar not the same, to G+ "Circles" is the fact that you can place certain people into categories based on how you want them. Besides Dylan was the one who said it was a copy, not me.

As for using product,lol, I have both. Hell I was the one who invited over 70 people from this very site to G+, plus various friends and family. But your right I don't use any of it.

Not that I really care, but damn dude :).

And what exactly is different about groups and circles other than the name?

i'm not going to sign up for some service with Google that i dislike just to figure out how their description fails in every way given that they describe the EXACT same thing for a circle as what a group does in facebook.
Circles let you target your posts to certain people based on your circles. Groups on FB don't allow you to do this, or didn't before.

Circles let you target your posts to certain people based on your circles. Groups on FB don't allow you to do this, or didn't before.

Exactly. The names of your circles are private as well (they used to be public on Facebook, not sure if they still are), so you can create an "over talkative" circle without offending the people you put in it. I just like the ability to separate my groups of friends, and the really obvious unable-to-fuck-up privacy settings.

Probably because there was such hype EVERYONE got on it. Then got bored with trying to balance Facebook and Google+. I think in time it will pick up again, especially with Facebook going WAY overboard with trying to keep up to Google+... I know if it was for the fact I could not get some friends to move over to Google+, I would totally ditch Facebook at this point. I have a much better time/experience on Google+. Heck I've even stopped following some people on Facebook and have them on Twitter, just because it's easier to deal with...:eek:

No, its not.

It's common joe (me) sick of hearing how "groundbreaking" -- "site of the year" -- "best website ever" when its FAR, FAR FAR FAR FAR from that. It's actually the quite opposite to ANY PERSON IN TECH.

Then you have the people whom use it here daily (the nerd ragers) who cannot handle FACTS that downgrade and make their precious facebook look like a waste of time.

Basically. people don't like to be downgraded so they rage when the truth hurts them.... I see this daily when I point out obvious facts.

And yes, Facebook copied Google+...... just google that (like I just did here and you can clearly see page, after page, after page of people talking about how FACEBOOK is the one that copied.

Google+ might have copied facebook in "making a social website", WHO CARES BECAUSE IT TOOK SOMETHING, INNOVATED, AND MADE a better product. At least they don't try to copy it exactly, stealing pieces of innovative social media website tools,and slapping if as something else on their own website.

Again... facebook is HIGHLY. HIGHLY. HIGHLY overrated.

By the way, The Google+ API just came out.... you will see tons more +1 buttons ;)
hahahaha, losers cannot handle the truth, that's all I will say. We will see who the loser is in 2013, mark my words :)

And another thing Facebook copied THIS WEEK from Google+

The subscribe button.... 100% stolen idea from Google+.

http://techtaps.com/facebook-shamelessly-copy-the-google-application-3777.html

http://www.mediamarketjournal.com/2011/08/facebook-copies-key-google-plus-features/

http://www.techindustriya.com/2011/09/15/facebook-copies-google-plus-and-threatens-twitter/

Do I really need to prove my case any more clearly?

sigh, your defense for your lovable Facebook site has no wall to stand behind man.

Google it, it's a pretty solid fact FACEBOOK copied Google+ in MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

I don't care much for either, but I will say that Google+ is a lot more enjoyable as a "social media site" IMHO.

Social networking is a pain in the ass, it takes a significant amount of time to migrate to a new site, invaite your friends (convincing them to migrate and get their friends to), etc. This often entails having to work both sites at once, wasting perfectly good time over BS.

This is why G+ is failing, facebook is good enough and G+ doesn't bring nearly enough meat to attract anyone. Myspace lost to Facebook because of the profile editor, making profile pages hard to read by others, prone to exploits, etc.

Nope. Myspace failed because facebook advertised more.

Myspace was actually more user adjustable, and entertaining for me. They just didn't spam product placement all over television like Facebook has done (heavily) for the past 2 years.

Whoever made up.... "Join Us on Facebook" that is the reason facebook is so popular, and why everyone knows about the existence of Facebook.

And now, Google+ (who has not started advertising heavily on TV at all) is being pushed back down from its growth because nobody has been talking about it for a month or two. Google+ clearly needs to advertise Google+ more. Hell, I literally just watched a Gmail commercial on TV here on channel ABC.

Why wasn't it for the entire new Google Experience, and not just Gmail? Google is *slightly* losing traction obviously, and its surprising me that Google is not on the ball with it. They have thrown a few booths up at some popular concerts in Chicago and Cali recently, though

http://techtaps.com/facebook-shamelessly-copy-the-google-application-3777.html

http://www.mediamarketjournal.com/2011/08/facebook-copies-key-google-plus-features/

http://www.techindustriya.com/2011/09/15/facebook-copies-google-plus-and-threatens-twitter/

Do I really need to prove my case any more clearly?

sigh, your defense for your lovable Facebook site has no wall to stand behind man.

Google it, it's a pretty solid fact FACEBOOK copied Google+ in MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

I don't care much for either, but I will say that Google+ is a lot more enjoyable as a "social media site" IMHO.
Hahahaha I like the last link, actually saying that Fb subscribe is like G+ Circles.

Did you even bother reading that last link?
Google Plus users will also be familiar with this feature as Subscribe is pretty much like placing people in one of their Circles and getting the public updates.
FB "Subscribe" is more like Twitter, G+ "Circles" is nothing like it at all. Now the new setup for FB "groups" I can see as being similar to G+ "Circles", but not "subscribe", lol.
I kinda like the Subscribe thing, now I can filter out what I want to see from that person much easier than before :D.

As for your comments about me, well I'M the one who invited YOU to G+ dude. So I use both and could care less about either to be honest. It is you who needs to realize that G+ is as much of a waste of time as FB is in the end.

I could care less about companies taking ideas from others and running with them. Hell it makes for some fun competition.

This is why G+ is failing, facebook is good enough and G+ doesn't bring nearly enough meat to attract anyone.

Failing? It hasn't even gone public yet! ;)

Nevermind Facebook installing apps without my consent and me finding out about it on the other sites where it was harvesting who knows what. The press called them out on this and they have been doing the PR BS about how they care about your privacy ever since.

Google has been around for 13 years that I know of and I have used it heavily for 4-5 years now and they haven't done this to me yet. They may indeed become evil eventually but until then I am MUCH more satisfied with my control over my privacy and how Google handles it.

Still LMAO at the "Failing" comments and the general fanboyism. It's a damned social network for chrissakes.

Google+ PUBLIC POSTS are down 41%...no one knows the actual site usage yet as those numbers haven't been made public.

If you're like me, you NEVER post anything public. I only post to my friends circle, so an article like this would only notice that I have not made a public post in months.

Also, it's still by invite only. It's much nicer than facebook with a better mobile app. It's only a matter of time before it overtakes facebook.

you don't install any apps... it's that simple.

I'm lost... is that sarcasm? where I shouldn't install any, then there isn't any to uninstall? or that I don't install any because it's google +?

Too bad my question is after the fact if the former, and it's permissions, that I'm talking about if the latter.

Back