Hundreds of Go Daddy-Hosted Sites Compromised

HardOCP News

[H] News
For only $7.95 a year, Go-Daddy offers fantastic extras like e-mail forwarding, hosting and now fully compromised websites. Who says you can get more for your money these days? :D

Wednesday, Go Daddy's Security Team detected that approximately 445 hosting accounts were compromised," said Todd Redfoot, chief information security officer at Go Daddy. "The accounts were accessed by using the account holder's username and password.

Accessed with UID and PW? But all at GoDaddy, and it sounds like multiple accounts. So either GoDaddy had a security breach somewhere, which they are denying, or they are the first registrar to catch/admit to this. I find it hard to believe that a keylogger somewhere logged a bunch of people typing in their account info solely for GoDaddy sites.

Accessed with UID and PW? But all at GoDaddy, and it sounds like multiple accounts. So either GoDaddy had a security breach somewhere, which they are denying, or they are the first registrar to catch/admit to this. I find it hard to believe that a keylogger somewhere logged a bunch of people typing in their account info solely for GoDaddy sites.

I agree, even if so, simple security measures such as not allowing SO MANY unsuccessful logins...yeah GoDaddy..I believe you....NOT.

I dislike godaddy but 445 is not really that much.

All of the site owners probably got a phishing email and were dumb enough to input their info and send....

Even that goofy Linus tech tip guy on youtube fell for a phishing scheme a few months back. Lost a bunch of videos and lost his account for a while lol.
http://forums.++++.com/forums/topic.php?id=2378271

Almost 450 GoDaddy sites, it was definitely a breach of security on GoDaddy's side.
It's hard to believe key loggers or phishing would be targeted exclusively at GoDaddy sites owners.
How would they know that in the first place, unless they've breached GoDaddy's security?

They should investigate how all these site owners are related, is it aliases who start with the same letter, owners in a chronological list, etc. and they will quickly find out it was an internal job or breach.

according a 2009 article godaddy had 6.5 Million customers (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/news/godaddy-web-hosting-domain-registrar-garners-award/). I couldn't quickly find a more recent number, don't know where to look.

So 450 out of 6+ million is probably right for a good phishing scam or keyloggers. Lots of people have enough trouble with that kind of thing with World of Warcraft that they've added support for those security tokens, since so many people have trouble with stolen accounts.

My money is on a Phishing email sent to hundreds of thousands of addresses harnessed from WHOIS queries and Godaddy is just the first to catch it and admit those users are jackasses but I don't doubt other hosts have found similar things.... 450 out of millions is not enough to have been a database breach.

PsyKo[H];1037762876 said:
My money is on a Phishing email sent to hundreds of thousands of addresses harnessed from WHOIS queries and Godaddy is just the first to catch it and admit those users are jackasses but I don't doubt other hosts have found similar things.... 450 out of millions is not enough to have been a database breach.

Exactly. They host over 4 million sites.. Also they went in and fixed the compromised sites THE SAME DAY.

Way to tell half the story to get more clicks.

I am thinking stolen account info via phishing not security breach. I don't have a godaddy account and yet I've gotten about 10 different emails telling me that i need to give them my account info.

So I could see them getting 500 people to give them their account info during one of these attempts.

450 customers with keylogger/trojan/responded to phishing mails out of 5-6 millions customers. No problem to believe that. anyone in network security know it is quite possible and if it was security breach, the number would be way more than 450. I work as security analyst for a big ISP and customer who got their emails credential informations stolen is quite enormous... Most of them (about 90%) are infected with keyloggers/trojans, 7% responded to phishing, 3% were using same credential informations on other website that has been breach.

Back