G.Skill CL9D vs. CL9S designation

LSU

n00b
Hi, I don't post much, but am running into an issue.

I currently have 8GB (4GBx2) Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL running in my system. I want to move to triple channel, and all I can find as far as a single 4GB stick is 12800CL9S-4GBRL.

My concern is the CL9S vs. CL9D, which I originally thought referred to single or dual kits, but some web searches have made me think differently. If that's what it actually is, I apologize for the dumbass question in advance.

Thanks!

Hi, I don't post much, but am running into an issue.

I currently have 8GB (4GBx2) Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL running in my system. I want to move to triple channel, and all I can find as far as a single 4GB stick is 12800CL9S-4GBRL.

My concern is the CL9S vs. CL9D, which I originally thought referred to single or dual kits, but some web searches have made me think differently. If that's what it actually is, I apologize for the dumbass question in advance.

Thanks!

Simple. The "S" after the CAS latency number indicates a single-stick package while the "D" indicates a dual-stick package. Triple-channel kits for LGA 1366 platforms are indicated by a "T" while quad-stick kits are indicated by a "Q". (G.SKILL rarely offers hex-stick kits, those would be indicated by an "H".) The last two characters in the model number are more important because G.SKILL uses pretty much the same ICs and PCBs for each given model line. Thus, if the 8GBXL were offered as single sticks, go with the F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL (if available). The F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL uses a different heatspreader and might also use different IC chips.

Last edited:
Back