VIA Labs USB 3.0 Host Controllers Receive USB-IF Certification

HardOCP News

[H] News
VIA Labs, Inc., a leading supplier of SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) integrated chip controllers, today announced that the VIA Labs VL800 4-port and VL801 2-port SuperSpeed USB Host controllers have achieved SuperSpeed USB certification by the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF). As SuperSpeed USB adoption rapidly gains momentum throughout the industry, the growing number of USB-IF certified products continues to drive a competitive and innovative ecosystem.

Yay, another one! A few more, and this is going to make USB 3.0 commonplace on every motherboard sold in the coming future.

It should be interesting to see how it performs once it's incorporated into some motherboards.

USB 3.0 is not gonna catch on.

Way too many 2.0 devices for the average joe to care about 3.0.

That's what I thought, but people are accumulating massive data stores. Will they trust the cloud or will they make sure they also have tangible control over their stuff. Streaming media might also take advantage of this. It also provides more power without an adapter so maybe something new will be invented.

It seems like most motherboards are coming out with at least 2 USB3.0 ports these days. Not everything is going to benefit, but storage, especially solid state drives, will benefit.

USB is a major connectivity interface and this is an upgrade, not an entirely new connection. Every motherboard has USB, not so much with IEEE1394 or Thunderbolt (yet).
It's been a guaranteed connection for years, whereas others aren't always so. Universal Serial Bus.

It offers more bandwidth on a common interface, and like I mentioned earlier, not everything will use it, but you have that will other devices. I don't think sound cards needed all the PCI bus bandwidth, but that doesn't mean a storage controller or network adapter wouldn't benefit.

Back