Diamond Multimedia VStream WPCTV1080H @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Diamond Multimedia VStream WPCTV1080H - Want an inexpensive way to get Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and other content on your TV without any wires? How about a little casual gaming while you are at it and all for around a $100? What if I told you we even threw a little Crysis 2 at the VStream for good measure? Yes, I said "Crysis 2."

Very interesting. I use the Intel WiDi on my m17xR3 all the time in hotels and it has a leg up using the Intel quicksync to transcode the video on the fly but you are saddled with the requirement of the Intel hd 3000 so gaming performance suffers. Any word on what radio band it uses. My guess is 2.4 ghz.

Doesn't line of sight make requirement make hiding the pc difficult? Seems to be the main drawback to me.

Very impressive product and a very practical review.

Very interesting. I use the Intel WiDi on my m17xR3 all the time in hotels and it has a leg up using the Intel quicksync to transcode the video on the fly but you are saddled with the requirement of the Intel hd 3000 so gaming performance suffers. Any word on what radio band it uses. My guess is 2.4 ghz.

Doesn't line of sight make requirement make hiding the pc difficult? Seems to be the main drawback to me.

Very impressive product and a very practical review.

All the demos I have been exposed to with Intel' WiDi have SUCKED. Guess it got a lot better lately?

This is just displaylink via wireless.

http://www.displaylink.com/shop/index.php?product=6

Here's how it works: the driver on the PC sets up a off screen surface/virtual display, the GPU on the PC is used for rendering to that surface. The driver takes frames from that display and compresses them for streaming to the remote device. The driver may or may not special case some content for an improved experience (like media).

Nothing to see here. Who'd never use this for any sort of serious media consumption?

Was their any lag between video and audio in the HD viewing? In other words did the mouths (audio) match up to the video on the screen?

Sure there is a good deal of lag and the overall feel is pretty sluggish but it can be done. I'd imagine this is what it feels like to play the console version of the game.

ROFL. Nice.

Very very interesting! I think at this price it might just be worth it to even just buy it to try it.

This looks nice, might ask my work to get one for us to try out..

Too bad the company is Diamond, good luck getting any form of support should something go wrong.

so this won't do it...but what will stream blu-ray rips from my PC to my HDTV in the other room wirelessly?

Nice article, it'll be interesting when something like this but more powerful comes out. I definitely see a decent advantage in the HTPC usage. One of the current HTPC setups at my girl's place has the HTPC siting next to the TV stand in one room and, while it doesn't look ugly by any means, it would look much better if the HTPC was out of sight when looking at the TV.

In the meantime, I'll stick to having a media wall plate behind the mounted TV and having a direct connection to the HTPC that's in the closet :D

Was the lag introduced by the VStream or was it caused by input delay from the HDTV?? I'd like to know because if it turns out it was just the HDTV causing it (or at least most of it) I may have more of a reason to convince myself to get this for some nerdy projects (like using an unused monitor in the bathroom for uninterrupted gaming sessions when nature calls, lmao).

The input lag on my HDTV caused me to abandon it as a gaming display not long after I got it because I'm so sensitive to it, so I'm really hoping this tech is better than the videos suggest.

(I'm watching the videos on a shitty laptop that doesn't run them smoothly, so I can't tell exactly how the lag looks in them. So, if I'm just not seeing something from the videos that is why.)

Was the lag introduced by the VStream or was it caused by input delay from the HDTV?? I'd like to know because if it turns out it was just the HDTV causing it (or at least most of it) I may have more of a reason to convince myself to get this for some nerdy projects (like using an unused monitor in the bathroom for uninterrupted gaming sessions when nature calls, lmao).

The input lag on my HDTV caused me to abandon it as a gaming display not long after I got it because I'm so sensitive to it, so I'm really hoping this tech is better than the videos suggest.

only problem with using as you're suggesting, line of sight! or do you leave the bathroom door open? lol

Diamond still around? I had a Diamond Viper many moons ago, this is the same company? Lag would be the Vstream working it's butt off pushing data through the HDMI, hence the attempt @Crysis2 using a 'low' res....when these devices mature they will be fitted onto HDTVs during mfg. - that would be logical. Wireless is the future but it has many obstacles, saturation of 2.4 etc...looks a nice idea for older non-SMART HDTVs....thnx for the looksee..

only problem with using as you're suggesting, line of sight! or do you leave the bathroom door open? lol

How else am I going to see the TV in the other room? :p

For line of sight, I figured the base on the outside and the HDMI cable routed inside.

Nice enough, I don't really know what for though as a $5 hdmi cable does the same thing and more. I'm really struggling to figure out the point of the device as if you have the computer in the same room as, and in instances within 1 meter of the tv anyway, why wouldn't you plug a hdmi cable into it instead?

I really thought at first this would be useful, as in you plug it into the smart tv/htpc, and are then able to wirelessly display the content on a tv in another part of the house. Now that is useful.

Nice enough, I don't really know what for though as a $5 hdmi cable does the same thing and more. I'm really struggling to figure out the point of the device as if you have the computer in the same room as, and in instances within 1 meter of the tv anyway, why wouldn't you plug a hdmi cable into it instead?

I really thought at first this would be useful, as in you plug it into the smart tv/htpc, and are then able to wirelessly display the content on a tv in another part of the house. Now that is useful.

Do you really need an example? I have a 720p projector mounted to my ceiling, projecting on to a 100 inch projector screen on the wall. The cable run is about 18 feet, and even with some fancy cable covers the installation is still rather unsightly on the brick walls of my condo. I would love to have a good reliable lag free (at 720p at least) wireless replacement for that cable and I would spend a LOT more than 89 bucks for it. My only hope is that it wouldn't otherwise interfere with the wireless in the house because my HTPC is on a 802.11n connection.

Steve, did you guys by chance test that? Does this thing cause any interference with existing wifi?

Does this work as a another display out put? Or does this only duplicate what is on your main display. For example if I wanted to browse the web on my main display could I use this to also watch a movie on a TV on the other side of the room at the same time?

Diamond still around? I had a Diamond Viper many moons ago, this is the same company?.

By brand, yes but the company is different I believe. The former company sold the name and business I believe, since they were not doing good at all. I believe they are owned by Best Data or something like that.

By brand, yes but the company is different I believe. The former company sold the name and business I believe, since they were not doing good at all. I believe they are owned by Best Data or something like that.

I hope that means better quality products, the stuff I tried before was cheap junk and bad customer support (no replies to emails etc). Maybe they'll do better under this management, I hope.

If HOCP givers them gold award then I guess I'll keep an eye on them and might try something out again.

So close...so, so close. :( This is exactly what I've been looking for but 3 things kill it for me: Doesn't work with crossfire, only supports desktop resolution of 2560x1152, and line of sight. I might be able to work with the first 2, just makes it less convenient, but the last one is a killer as I want my desktop out of my living room. Glad I read the comments, as I missed the line of sight comment, otherwise I was about to go out and immediately buy it!

Interesting. My parents would actually have a use for this.

I'd be interested to know if this would be ok on even lower end hardware, like a Phenom x4 9350e (2Ghz) with a Radeon x1250 IGP. The only video they'd typically stream is 480p dvd, and possibly some SD youtube.

Also, would you be able to leave the audio at the PC and just stream the video? I'm assuming it's simple as changing the audio device in control panel.

I'd be interested to know if this would be ok on even lower end hardware, like a Phenom x4 9350e (2Ghz) with a Radeon x1250 IGP. The only video they'd typically stream is 480p dvd, and possibly some SD youtube.

I can't say for sure because we tested the VStream using hardware that met the minimum / recommended hardware requirements.

Also, would you be able to leave the audio at the PC and just stream the video? I'm assuming it's simple as changing the audio device in control panel.

I would suggest you would run into sync issues.

Any chance this would work with 3D, AMD iZ3d set up on 6950?? or is it back to the same 1080p bandwidth deal ??

Crysis 2 in 3D on big screen anyone ?? with this wireless can play on sofa with wireless keyboard and mouse would be perfect.

Do you really need an example? I have a 720p projector mounted to my ceiling, projecting on to a 100 inch projector screen on the wall. The cable run is about 18 feet, and even with some fancy cable covers the installation is still rather unsightly on the brick walls of my condo. I would love to have a good reliable lag free (at 720p at least) wireless replacement for that cable and I would spend a LOT more than 89 bucks for it. My only hope is that it wouldn't otherwise interfere with the wireless in the house because my HTPC is on a 802.11n connection.

Steve, did you guys by chance test that? Does this thing cause any interference with existing wifi?

Yea I did actually because I thought everyone moved on from washed out blurry projectors. ;)

Nah seriously, that's a good application, probably the only one, but I do see why you would want it. For location and looks.

How does this eliminate wires running down the wall? You still have to plug the power cable in somewhere. So If your bothering to have an outlet installed behind your TV you may as well spend the extra money and have some AV cables run through the wall too.

Yea I did actually because I thought everyone moved on from washed out blurry projectors. ;)

Nah seriously, that's a good application, probably the only one, but I do see why you would want it. For location and looks.

Its actually quite clear surprisingly up to about 103 inches, honestly though its all about the screen. I certainly love nice big 1080 LED-LCD flat panels, but it still does not compare to the cinematic experience of a 100 inch screen! :D I would love to get one of the new 1080p projectors, but the price increase is significant.

Can you confirm if this can act as a second monitor? Like if I have one monitor, and want to continue browsing the web and playing games and such, can this be recognized as a second monitor by Windows where I can play video or whatever else, or can it only merely replicate what is on your monitor?

Can you confirm if this can act as a second monitor? Like if I have one monitor, and want to continue browsing the web and playing games and such, can this be recognized as a second monitor by Windows where I can play video or whatever else, or can it only merely replicate what is on your monitor?

Yes it does, in extend mode.

How does this eliminate wires running down the wall? You still have to plug the power cable in somewhere. So If your bothering to have an outlet installed behind your TV you may as well spend the extra money and have some AV cables run through the wall too.

This is not a product you should consider buying. Others however see the value.

Does this work as a another display out put? Or does this only duplicate what is on your main display. For example if I wanted to browse the web on my main display could I use this to also watch a movie on a TV on the other side of the room at the same time?

The article stated that you can extend displays. So essentially yes, this could act as a second monitor and you could do some web browsing on one screen and play a video on the other one.

Do I know for sure? No. But logic tells me from what information was stated.

Back