Adobe Flash Coming to Apple iOS Devices

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Where there is a will, there is most definitely a way: Just ask Adobe on how to get around flash restrictions put in place by Apple. Adobe’s solution to the problem is unique to say the least.

It appears that Adobe could no longer ignore the large amount of web traffic generated on iOS devices

All of the Flash videos you want but without any of the negatives with running Flash. Since Flash will not be running on iOS it will not eat up the same processing power or have the energy draining properties of Flash on mobile devices.

Maybe adobe should do that for all mobile devices.

That is certainly welcome news. I love my iPhone, but i've been looking at droid phones just because I'm sick of not being able view flash content.

Sounds like a win-win to me. I for one held back on a purchase because of no flash video, but it seems I won't need to wait forever.

"will detect what type of device is attempting to view the content and will stream Flash videos in a format that is supported by iOS"

So, this only applies to Flash movies like watching YouTube, etc.

I don't think that this method is unique, real-time server conversion has been done before on other platforms IIRC.

The 'no flash on iOS' thing was never about technology. It was always about content. Where would Apple's revenue be if all that App Store content and all those games were freely available on the web?

As a happy Apple shareholder I'm glad the way things turned out.

Also keep in mind that Adobe has never been in the content business. They're in the content authoring business. They don't care how you're consuming your content, as long as it's authored using their tools.

I was amused watching how this all unfolded- watching Creative Directors go from wanting huge, ungainly flash experiences to saying things like "...flash, may god rest its soul..." almost overnight.

Nothing to see here... everyone go back to what you were doing.

This doesn't allow Flash, it just enables an alternative to streaming video via Flash when necessary. It doesn't allow for interactive content.

Why do people still have their panties in a knot over not having flash on iOS devices?

I sure as shit don't miss it. Actually glad its not there!

Too bad still no full flash support. I'm waiting for them to officially release molehill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgwi0lWgX8w

Ran it on my u230 netbook on Medium (I don't have the bandwidth to download the high quality version on the netbook). Averages 20fps at around 40-45% cpu usage and fluctuates between 25-60%. On my main rig, it's a full 60fps (Highest flash can go) averaging 30% CPU.

Considering the number of flash developers out there, when it's finally officially released, you're gonna see a lot of web based 3D content (3D facebook games!), very fast. I've already played around with it a bit, and i think i can make a Heavy Gear, or MechWarrior 3 game out of this, i still need to figure out how to make articulated limbs tho. Or maybe i should just start with a simple tank game.

BTW, i'm experimenting on a netbook, if a flash app runs here, it'll run anywhere.

"will detect what type of device is attempting to view the content and will stream Flash videos in a format that is supported by iOS"

So, this only applies to Flash movies like watching YouTube, etc.

yes and no, it applies to flash movies only yes that part is true, but not sure if it work work with youtube. it requires that the site you are trying to be viewing a video from to be running adobe's server software. I am not sure if youtube runs that software or if they run something else.

The iphone 3gs that I have is already slow enough, I think flash would abuse it badly.
It's weird how it seems to have gotten slower and slower over time, I guess that's because
each new iOS is more demanding? It almost seems like it is being under-clocked a little bit
with each update.

The iphone 3gs that I have is already slow enough, I think flash would abuse it badly.
It's weird how it seems to have gotten slower and slower over time, I guess that's because
each new iOS is more demanding? It almost seems like it is being under-clocked a little bit
with each update.

and the problem here will be? not a thing runs on your phone / ipad. the server checks to see if you are on your iOS device, if it is then it swaps out the flash video with something that will play on your iOS device. no flash player on your iOS device as apple won't let them.

Flash? Pshh.. Just look at all the site that uses html5 out there, the amount is staggering! Oh.. and the html5 ads are coming soon, don't worry :D

and the problem here will be? not a thing runs on your phone / ipad. the server checks to see if you are on your iOS device, if it is then it swaps out the flash video with something that will play on your iOS device. no flash player on your iOS device as apple won't let them.

Ok great, not talking about that though, talking about flash, I don't think any phones are up to the task of providing a good flash based experience.

Article is misleading.

APPLE will not make it possible to run Flash software on browser, and they are still blocking direct flash ports as apps.

ADOBE will make it possible to use iPhone and iPad apps as clients to Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5 to access audio/video content/streams with protection.

It was already possible to access different types of unprotected audio/video content/streams using apps, ADOBE they will provide drm decoding functions for programmers to use in their apps.

Adobe Flash Access 3.0, a robust content protection and monetization solution, will enable content owners to deliver on-demand content with massive scale and strict studio-level security across a broad range of devices, following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11 and Adobe AIR(R) 3.

At the IBC 2011 Exhibition, Adobe will demonstrate its streaming video solutions including the Flash Media Server family, Flash Access, the Open Source Media Framework (OSMF) and Adobe Pass, Adobe’s content authentication solution for TV Everywhere, at its stand (Hall 7 Stand 7.G27) in the RAI Convention Center, Sept. 9-13 in Amsterdam.

“Adobe has a deep heritage in providing video solutions for delivering content online and on-device. With Flash Media Server 4.5 and Flash Access 3.0, we’re enabling businesses to reach more customers and more devices, helping them increase the impact of video experiences, enhance their brands and ultimately, drive business success,” said Pritham Shetty, vice president, Video Solutions, Adobe.

So in short: now you can eat more DRM on your iPhone, horray! ;)

The 'no flash on iOS' thing was never about technology. It was always about content. Where would Apple's revenue be if all that App Store content and all those games were freely available on the web?

As a happy Apple shareholder I'm glad the way things turned out.

Also keep in mind that Adobe has never been in the content business. They're in the content authoring business. They don't care how you're consuming your content, as long as it's authored using their tools.

I was amused watching how this all unfolded- watching Creative Directors go from wanting huge, ungainly flash experiences to saying things like "...flash, may god rest its soul..." almost overnight.

Nothing to see here... everyone go back to what you were doing.

Disagree. Android's app store is not hurting from allowing Flash to run on their device. Jobs have always said that he will never allow a battery hog, bug-ridden security risk run on the iPhone.

I hope Flash has their shit cleaned up and I hope they're telling the truth about the battery issue because my iPhone 3Gs' battery life isn't all that great to begin with.

Back