Delivering Fast Boot Times in Windows 8

Yeah that'll work, for like a week.

Also my BIOS takes 8 seconds to load, that laptop skips right past that.

That's an HP Elitebook 2540p I think. No HP logo and POST screen? It seems to have gone straight into Windows?

The comments link in the article takes you to the main forum.

Anyway, the way this works is that 8 now completely separates User Sessions and Kernel Sessions. When you shutdown it keeps the kernel session and goes into a new type of hibernation. Because it dropped the user session the hibernate file is no longer gigabytes in size.

Still impressive, although still not enough to make me want to switch to it when it comes out.

Also my BIOS takes 8 seconds to load, that laptop skips right past that.

No it didn't. My laptop loads the bios much faster than my desktop, despite being vastly underpowered comparatively.

Also, that lappy may be using UEFI

No HP logo and POST screen?

Usually, the verbose output is blocked unless you hit a key that allows the output, or if the BIOS allows it, configure to output messages.

I knew this could not be a cold boot, exactly when watching this. It did have some "hibernation factor" from the article (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx): "Our solution is a new fast startup mode which is a hybrid of traditional cold boot and resuming from hibernate." Also note, in the article that many rather prefer to reboot than hibernate their laptops. How, asinine.

Usually, the verbose output is blocked unless you hit a key that allows the output, or if the BIOS allows it, configure to output messages.

I knew this could not be a cold boot, exactly when watching this. It did have some "hibernation factor" from the article (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx): "Our solution is a new fast startup mode which is a hybrid of traditional cold boot and resuming from hibernate." Also note, in the article that many rather prefer to reboot than hibernate their laptops. How, asinine.

I never use hibernate. Sleep only unless I am going to be away from the computer all day or longer, then I turn it off/unplug it.

Just Microsoft taking two years to go through all their checklist items of Windows features explaining why each of them in the newer OS better than in the current OS!

Mmm.. seems I have heard this all before..

Windows 7 - Windows 7 is designed to significantly improve speed, efficiency, and ultimately, productivity. Users spend less time waiting for boot and resume

Windows Vista - Users will love the fast start-up time and even faster return from Sleep state.

Windows XP - Microsoft® Windows® XP offers excellent overall performance—which includes dramatically faster boot and resume times and highly responsive applications.

Windows ME - Microsoft is working with its associates to improve boot time with Windows Me on new PCs.

Windows 98 - This latest operating system is supposed to boot up faster than Windows 95,

ballmerpad2.jpg

Reactions: Santa
like this
That seemed to come back faster than my S3 suspend o_O
I wonder why people haven't come up with something like that before, plus what happens if you change the hardware topology? Interesting, but sounds like a 'steady state' feature.

Wonder if that was an SSD or a generic 5400 rpm laptop drive like most cheap laptops would have?

What else is Microsoft supposed to advertise...how they changed they way the kernel handles virtual memory?

Just Microsoft taking two years to go through all their checklist items of Windows features explaining why each of them in the newer OS better than in the current OS!

Yeah, cause it's not like Apple or Ford or pick your favorite company isn't pushing the same products year after year explaining why the new product is better than the old.

1) Who fucking cares, I'm really ok with that 15-30 seconds of my life that is wasted when I turn my computer on

2) You could always toss it in sleep mode, and then "boot up" in Win7 is quite fast

3) Put a few apps, gadgets, and everything else that will eventually load, and sure it might boot fast, but it won't be usable fast

4) Anyone notice the video skip like they did a retake? I know it probably was just because she screwed up her lines, but I found it quite funny that they didn't just re-shoot the whole thing seamlessly since it boots up so fast and all :D

1.) Doesn't mean shit if its a crippled mobile-style OS. Of OSX Lion is any indication of what desktop operating systems look like when you integrate mobile features into them, I think I'll pass. I want my phone to be more like my computer, NOT my computer to be more like my phone...

2.) My Windows 7 boots pretty fast off of my SSD (not that fast though) but it cheats. When the desktop comes up, its not ready for use. Its not until what seems like an eternity later (after the blue spinny circle stops rotating over my lan connection) that the computer becomes fully useable. Some lighter apps will run in the meantime while I wait, but nothing that requires UAC, no games, or nything like that. IMHO, boot times should be measured - not by the time it takes for them to display the desktop - but rather by the time it takes for the system to become fully usable. when I boot my Linux, it not only brings up the desktop MUCH faster than Win7, but its fully usable as soon as it appears. I will hold off on being impressed until it is known whether or not the desktop is fully useable once it pops up.

I never use hibernate. Sleep only unless I am going to be away from the computer all day or longer, then I turn it off/unplug it.

3.) Same here. None of my computers ever hibernate. EVER. Clean reboots every time, otherwise you wind up with system instability over time.

I would rather see a boot too a functional desktop and not that..whatever the fuck that call that feature that will get turned off.

That said..I have an SSD with Win 7 and Cold boot to functional desktop is 12 seconds. I honestly could not care any less about saving a few more seconds.

Given how good 7 is, and all the hype MS is pushing for 8, I am starting to grow suspicious of it.

4) Anyone notice the video skip like they did a retake? I know it probably was just because she screwed up her lines, but I found it quite funny that they didn't just re-shoot the whole thing seamlessly since it boots up so fast and all :D

For as little as she said after the cut, it seems more like they didn't like how it sounded and got her to redo it with a new ending.

I call BS on that video outright. my first question is, what's the hardware (SSD specifically), how did you optimize the bios and the install, I want to see a fresh install on a HDD. Regardless, it's great that they're optimizing this to be on and ready ASAP, the average user is easy to impress. I'm the guy that has to sell these, build these, fix these...you can throw all the marketing at me you want, I'm suspicious still.

I did see the HP Logo, most modern UEFI BIOSes, you can set to skip past testing and go to the OS immediately.

Anyone notice at the :30 - :31 mark the "cut"? If you have a hard time seeing it look at her hair, def some "editing" done to the video.. hope its not to make it "Look" like its booting faster.

wow. I can't even recover from Sleep mode in 10 seconds like that laptop did.

Anyone notice at the :30 - :31 mark the "cut"? If you have a hard time seeing it look at her hair, def some "editing" done to the video.. hope its not to make it "Look" like its booting faster.

That was after the boot up completed.

Zarathustra[H];1037732522 said:
1.) Doesn't mean shit if its a crippled mobile-style OS. Of OSX Lion is any indication of what desktop operating systems look like when you integrate mobile features into them, I think I'll pass. I want my phone to be more like my computer, NOT my computer to be more like my phone...

Lion is nothing like Windows 8 in what their respective features and goals.

I call BS on that video outright. my first question is, what's the hardware (SSD specifically), how did you optimize the bios and the install, I want to see a fresh install on a HDD. Regardless, it's great that they're optimizing this to be on and ready ASAP, the average user is easy to impress. I'm the guy that has to sell these, build these, fix these...you can throw all the marketing at me you want, I'm suspicious still.

I did see the HP Logo, most modern UEFI BIOSes, you can set to skip past testing and go to the OS immediately.

I'm sure they used an SSD for that fast of a boot, but keep in mind, the focus in the tech world currently is all about tablets, which all use SSDs. Microsoft wants Win 8 to be equally for desktop and tablets so has to compete with near instant on devices like the iPad.

As for the Post... I have the HP TM-2 and the time from hitting the power button to the end of the Post is the same. I haven't made any adjustments to the BIOS so that post time is consistant with other HP laptops "out of the box."

You can't give me a single reason why this would only work for like a week. Stop talking out of your ass. And to the people complaining about cold boot, this is a cold boot. None of the drivers are loaded. Only the Kernel session is stored in the hiberkernel file. And if any of you even bothered to go to the source MSDN blog, you'd see there's actually an option you can use if you want so that you can choose NOT to have the Kernel saved to hibernate in case you're replacing a piece of hardware or what have you. You can also go into command line and shut it off completely just like you can with Hibernate.

There is quite literally no down-side to this implementation. So everyone quit your god damn bitching.

If I remember correctly it uses an Intel 320 SSD. Having a fresh install does nothing. This is not caching into RAM. This is a hibernation file being set-up specifically for the kernel session - nothing more than that. This isn't using like a hybrid drive like that Seagate or using Intel's SSD caching.

I would rather see a boot too a functional desktop and not that..whatever the fuck that call that feature that will get turned off.

That is the functional desktop. The Metro UI and the Desktop UI are not two separate loading events. If the Metro UI is laoded, so is the Desktop UI and vice versa. You can switch instantly between them. That is booted to a completely loaded desktop.

There is quite literally no down-side to this implementation. So everyone quit your god damn bitching.

Yeah, people slamming this obviously didn't read the blog post which goes into a ton of technical detail and even explains how this sample machine POSTS and why it's fast.

Microsoft is doing it's job here and listening to people. I think that that's why Windows 8 will be successful as the goal here is to things that average people want, not satisfy a bunch of geeks. A page from Apple in this regard.

Woot Windows 8 comes with a 8GB static ram drive everyone rejoice !!

That is the functional desktop. The Metro UI and the Desktop UI are not two separate loading events. If the Metro UI is laoded, so is the Desktop UI and vice versa. You can switch instantly between them. That is booted to a completely loaded desktop.

I'm not completely sure about that, I think there's a decoupling between the classic desktop and the tiles desktop however there's no way to know what exactly was loaded here or even if there's much of a hit for launching the classic desktop.

That was after the boot up completed.

I think your looking at the 2nd one at the :32 mark.. there is one right after the post segment and then the boot up logo.. its hard to catch if your not looking real hard but I noticed it in her hair.. you can see it between the boot logo and the home screen they show... I think its a "time edit"

I think your looking at the 2nd one at the :32 mark.. there is one right after the post segment and then the boot up logo.. its hard to catch if your not looking real hard but I noticed it in her hair.. you can see it between the boot logo and the home screen they show... I think its a "time edit"

Looked at this five times, the only edit that I saw as the one after the boot up. At any rate you do realize that by this times next week thousand and perhaps millions (assuming its a public beta) of people will have copies of Windows 8, this is all be independently verifiable of not shortly. I don't see any benefit to Microsoft cooking this claim.

You may have something to click on after 8 seconds, but how long does it take to do something productive with the OS? That's what I want to see.

How fast can I see a loaded web page or my synced Outlook inbox after pushing the power button?

I'm not completely sure about that, I think there's a decoupling between the classic desktop and the tiles desktop however there's no way to know what exactly was loaded here or even if there's much of a hit for launching the classic desktop.

Heartless already beat me too it. Either way though you missed the rest of my post. I want an apples to apples comparison if they are going to "show off" how fast Win 8 boots. There are plenty of laptops that have their own little bootloader type thing that boots in mere seconds even on platter drives. Not accusing MS of pulling that trick, but a normal desktop is a real comparison this is..not.

All other stuff aside, I don't really care how fast it boots. The speed difference between it and win 7 in that respect isn't enough for me to faintly care.

How fast can I see a loaded web page or my synced Outlook inbox after pushing the power button?

Since the titles UI is rendering engine that can driven by HTML 5 I would think that launching a web browser, at least IE 10 will be pretty quick.

Back